Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommend CHEAP frame to build a commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 07:21 PM
Bovka99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey good day everyone ! I'm coming back from knee injury and thinking of building my own commuter.I'm looking for cheap audax/road bike frame that can take mudguards. Similar to trek alpha 1.2 series bike frames.I'm in UK.my Max budget for frame set is 200euro no more. Planet x kaffenback 2 frame set is on sale but its disk only. I need simple framset that has some eyelets for mudguards and rack.CX audax frames seem out of my price range. Ribble CX is frameset is out of question as well.is there anything else in UK?
Old 10-12-14, 07:30 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Look for a used model complete bike that's on sale. Its a lot cheaper than building up a frameset - which gets to be quite expensive.

Its less expensive to upgrade individual components so take that and the cost of a bike shop build into consideration, if you're not mechanically inclined to do the work yourself.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-14, 07:56 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
New Albion maybe? Probably towards the top of your budget. That budget isn't going to give you a whole lot.
Old 10-12-14, 07:58 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Buy used; you'll get a better frame and components this way. I built a hybrid-ish bike up as a commuter last year. I was happy with the build but I had all the parts lying around. Unless you have the parts lying around, it will get expensive.
Old 10-13-14, 12:30 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
ON-ONE has some frames that of reasonable price and quality.

Bike Frames | On-One Bikes
Old 10-13-14, 01:36 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Easy peasy. It's even on sale right now.

£90 Ribble 7005 Winter/Audax Frame
£70 CSN BlackStorm Mudguard eyes Winter Forks
£15 Ribble Headset Branded 1 1/8 Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
Total: £185

I splurged a bit on mine
£88 Deda Black Rain Winter Forks w/mudguard eyes
Total: £193

In USD it was about $270 plus $80 trans-Atlantic air freight via Royal Mail Global Priority.

Ignore the bit about it accepting only 23mm tyres. Mine fits Continental GrandPrix 4-Seasons in 25mm under the SKS P-35 Chromoplastics Longboard mudguards with no problem. I prefer to run 28mm, and for that, I had to cut the rear mudguard where it passed through the rear brake and mount it using Reacharound Fender Brackets. Look at the rear brake bridge to see how it works. The front fits the 28mm just fine with room to spare, box stock.

The bike is an absolute delight. I recommend it unreservedly.

BTW, the bike it replaced was my Trek 1000, the previous iteration of your Trek 1.2. It is a far better bike by every measure.

Last edited by tsl; 10-13-14 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 09:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What did you find? critiquing the unknown is rather difficult.
Old 10-13-14, 06:50 PM
acranox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pake C'mute ? I like mine.
Old 10-13-14, 08:48 PM
Bovka99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks guys. I'm thorn between my decisions and looking at planet x kaffenback 2FRAMESET! It works out cheaper than Ribble with fork but the only thing I'm concerned is the price of disk brakes.kaffenback 2 takes disk brake. I won't go with drop bar with STI as this combo is expensive.bullhorn + MTB disk brakes + TT lever? Does it work. I know I need more digging into this. I'm liking bullhorn bar instead of flat or drop.does avid bb7 MTB model work with some sort of TT lever? I can buy components second hand no problem. Biggest decision is deciding and finding decent cheap frame set ! Any cheap hydro brake out there? Avid bb7 road model seems quite expensive since I won't use drop bar and still then might as well use hydro brakes.BTW I'm looking for neutral colour one that doesn't attract thieves .lol thanks in advance for any input.
Old 10-13-14, 09:15 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bovka99
I won't go with drop bar with STI as this combo is expensive.bullhorn + MTB disk brakes + TT lever? Does it work. I know I need more digging into this. I'm liking bullhorn bar instead of flat or drop.does avid bb7 MTB model work with some sort of TT lever?
I don't know about any of those disc, hydro or TT things.

I do have a road bike without drop bars. Bullhorns if you like, but they are Profile Design base bars for tri bikes. You can see the details of the stuff that I lumped together in my PedalRoom link below, in my sig. All of the components used are listed.

Your best bet is to buy a used bike. You could easily be peddling down the road for what you'd pay for a frameset and scrounging for chunks to throw at it. Then get more parts, because no matter how long you think it out and how "right you have it" some of your mismatched "high-end used-n-cheap" chunks just don't mesh. Besides that, perhaps a seller of used parts has a reason to be selling them----something is wrong with it and they couldn't figure it out so they just sold the customer a new item. In that case, you get to solve the problem of what's wrong.

Buy a used bike and ride. You're looking for a cheap frameset. I take that to mean that you are looking to save money. If that is, indeed, true----BUY A COMPLETE USED BIKE THAT YOU CAN RIDE HOME.

IF YOU DON'T------YOU LOSE.
Old 10-13-14, 09:22 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Easy peasy. It's even on sale right now.
Wow....................

To live the life of a librarian. Who else could find that Ribble frame?
Old 10-14-14, 03:19 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Wow....................

To live the life of a librarian. Who else could find that Ribble frame?
Actually, it had nothing at all to do with my google-fu. I've been a happy customer at Ribble for years and years. So it was simply a matter of making sure I couldn't find the same sort of specs cheaper.