Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Did you Tell the Boss?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Did you Tell the Boss?

Old 05-20-20, 02:58 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Did you Tell the Boss?

I told them I was done for six months at the end of March so my commutes ended then. I don't think I will go back to work in September. We were not warned there was a Covid patient in the infirmary of the prison where I worked part time to help them out. I think I will help my family out by not going back. Has anyone else done something like that? Just curious. I was retired and working part time for two years prior. They have a habit of running off good employees so folks are doing half shifts extra and some even doing doubles several times a week. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-20-20, 06:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I told them I was done for six months at the end of March so my commutes ended then. I don't think I will go back to work in September. We were not warned there was a Covid patient in the infirmary of the prison where I worked part time to help them out. I think I will help my family out by not going back. Has anyone else done something like that? Just curious. I was retired and working part time for two years prior. They have a habit of running off good employees so folks are doing half shifts extra and some even doing doubles several times a week. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
I have a 2nd part time job at a major home improvement store. they gave everyone extra sick & vacation time, paid, & told us we didn't have to work, no questions asked. I think my last day was Sunday 3/22. I haven't been spending as much money so my saviongs account has a nice little buffer. now they want to know when I want to come back. I told them mid-June w/ reduced hrs. but I have a vacation in mid-July & if that's not canceled Wifey is asking me not to go in at least 2 weeks prior. I don't know what the heck to do. my full time job has everyone working from home. if I was retired from my full time job & the only work I had was at the home improvement store, I'd be hard pressed to stay home
Old 05-20-20, 10:27 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm WFH here until day care and school are back to normal. So who knows?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-21-20, 03:53 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
In Ontario and Quebec, troops from the Canadian Armed Forces were brought in to help in Long Term Health facilities (nursing homes) and now 28 of them have caught Covid-19.

Meanwhile is the US, State Legislatures are being pressured by armed anti-lockdown protesters to lift the lock-down because they want to get back to work. Well, I'm not sure who's going to hire anybody who has threatened public officials like that but I'm sure hospitals, nursing homes and funeral homes can use some help with the dirty work.
Old 05-21-20, 08:54 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
First thing is take care of yourself ( and your family). That’s my priority anyway. When I quit my last job it was because the stress was effecting my health. I just won’t allow that. That was 5 years ago and I’m glad I did it. I had been fired once quite a while ago. That was a wake up, it actually felt great. When I walked out of the door I could feel the weight of the company BS falling away. Rule number one, take care of yourself.
Old 05-21-20, 09:10 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
I'm WFH so no issues personally. Of those who work hands-on with equipment, we've had a few retire rather than expose themselves to the (even minimally staffed) facility.

My employer has facilities around the world (including Milan), as well as throughout North America. That global perspective lets them see beyond US politics, and thus far their response has been science based and focused on protecting employees above and beyond what local governments allow. I'm pleased.

Having said that, since my career allows WFH options, I could see myself changing employers if I deem their office policies inadequate in the months to come.