Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Asian Serial Number Guide

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Asian Serial Number Guide

Old 05-23-20, 03:53 PM
Damar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Urgent!! Need for help!!

Should you tell me what MTB Vintage is? The serial number is below Bottom Bracket: M5G00004

thank you

Last edited by Damar; 05-24-20 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-24-20, 02:29 PM
Damar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Urgent!! Need for help!!

The frame is almost similar to Miyata Terra Runner. There is a serial number under Bottom Bracket: M5G00004. Is there someone here who can help identify my frame? Thank you
Old 06-09-20, 01:43 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Do we have a list of manufacturers in Asia who put the serial number vertical on the seattube? I know Maruishi did this (and so possibly Nashbar and whoever else they built frames for), but did anyone else?

There's a clearly Japanese-built frame in a local shop, looks to be a mid-80s mtb with solid touring/bikepacking potential. Lugged steel but the lugs aren't tapered into points--instead they stay pretty round out from the joints. Built with suntour dropouts and shimano cantilever bosses, has a hatta vesta headset, but all potential decals/marking taken off.

Anyway, when I can get a few pics I'll post them--but the serial number is vertical on bottom of the seattube a-la Maruishi; I'm pretty sure it's NH80027 (or HN80027). Not that I need another retro mtb to build, but it caught my eye & I'd love to figure out what it is. The green sorta reminds me of an '87 Rockhopper Comp-S or a mid-80s Bianchi Grizzly, but the rear brake is standard canti & the lug work isn't quite right.
Old 06-09-20, 03:52 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon
Do we have a list of manufacturers in Asia who put the serial number vertical on the seattube? I know Maruishi did this (and so possibly Nashbar and whoever else they built frames for), but did anyone else?

There's a clearly Japanese-built frame in a local shop, looks to be a mid-80s mtb with solid touring/bikepacking potential. Lugged steel but the lugs aren't tapered into points--instead they stay pretty round out from the joints. Built with suntour dropouts and shimano cantilever bosses, has a hatta vesta headset, but all potential decals/marking taken off.

Anyway, when I can get a few pics I'll post them--but the serial number is vertical on bottom of the seattube a-la Maruishi; I'm pretty sure it's NH80027 (or HN80027). Not that I need another retro mtb to build, but it caught my eye & I'd love to figure out what it is. The green sorta reminds me of an '87 Rockhopper Comp-S or a mid-80s Bianchi Grizzly, but the rear brake is standard canti & the lug work isn't quite right.
Update for myself--were I a betting person, I'd guess a Tsunoda-built Lotus, probably a Viking based on what I can see so far. The Eisho lug work & other aspects of the build seem spot-on. Seems the SN codes don't always follow the same format (some with 2 letters followed by numbers, some only numbers, but at least low on the seat tube is a common spot to find their SN), but the similarity of the SN to Maruishi is what first drew me to it.
Old 06-10-20, 07:45 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon

There have been a number of Japanese manufacturers who stamped the S/N near the bottom of the seat tube including but not limited to Araya, Kuwahara, Maruishi, Tano, Tsunoda, and at least one unidentified manufacturer. Manufacturers would sometimes change the serial number location when their serial number sequence rolled over, thus indicating the era. Others varied the location as a way of indicating the customer for which the bicycle was contract manufactured. Consequently, it is possible to have serial numbers from the same manufacturer, in different locations.
Old 06-15-20, 05:38 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Does anyone recognize this serial # format GS131140023 it is from an all chrome BMX I found for my Grandson.
Old 06-15-20, 09:55 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Wileyone
Does anyone recognize this serial # format GS131140023 it is from an all chrome BMX I found for my Grandson.
My immediate thought was Giant but that is a lot of characters. It has me thinking that the format may be GSyyxxxxxxx or even GSyymmxxxxx. Does that sound plausible? Pics? Have you tried the BMX forum?
Old 06-30-20, 06:20 AM
Amocat223

Bikes: Gios

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just got a Miele Cicli with serial number on bottom of seat tube starting with SLxxxx , chrome forks and Sakae SR crank .. frame tube i'm thinking TANGE , unknown year but would like to find out more !
Old 06-30-20, 07:44 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Amocat223
I just got a Miele Cicli with serial number on bottom of seat tube starting with SLxxxx , chrome forks and Sakae SR crank .. frame tube i'm thinking TANGE , unknown year but would like to find out more !
The format doesn't match that of any of Miele's known Asian suppliers. Please post the full serial number, along with a full drive side photo and photos of the rear derailleur, crankset and brake calipers.
Old 06-30-20, 06:00 PM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The format doesn't match that of any of Miele's known Asian suppliers. Please post the full serial number, along with a full drive side photo and photos of the rear derailleur, crankset and brake calipers.
Serial # LS563281 , crank is a Sakae SX and crankarm shows 85 on the back which leads me to believe it must be the year ?
Old 06-30-20, 07:24 PM
T-Mar

Serial # LS563281 , crank is a Sakae SX and crankarm shows 85 on the back which leads me to believe it must be the year ?
You transposed the first two characters in your previous post. Now it makes sense. What you have is a 1986 model, manufactured in Japan. You'll have to provide more information or preferably photos, if you want a model identification.
Old 07-01-20, 05:33 AM
ineedacig

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me identify!

Can someone identify my serial number? H88029. It also has 123 above the serial number (located at the bottom bracket). Seller said that it is a Bridgestone Eurasia. But I can't find the exact model on the internet. It has 2 eyelets on the rear droplet (like BS Roadman) and fork just like Eurasia. Also has 1532 stamped on the rear droplet. Thanks
Old 07-01-20, 08:49 AM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You transposed the first two characters in your previous post. Now it makes sense. What you have is a 1986 model, manufactured in Japan. You'll have to provide more information or preferably photos, if you want a model identification.
Thanks , i mostly bought it for the frame and a few parts were replaced over the years but here she is ; It also has a bicycle shop decal that says it from ' Pecco' Velos Orleans # 837-1567 ' , does anyone know this shop ?
Old 07-01-20, 11:57 AM
T-Mar

Thanks , i mostly bought it for the frame and a few parts were replaced over the years but here she is ; It also has a bicycle shop decal that says it from ' Pecco' Velos Orleans # 837-1567 ' , does anyone know this shop ?
The derailleurs appear to be era correct Shimano Z-series but there were a few models that used them. The brakes and wheels look like replacements, along with the handlebars, stems and shift levers. That really complicates identification. What size seat post does it use?

Regarding Pecco's Vélos, it was a small family owned chain of bicycle stores in the Ottawa region. The original location was a small two storey shop located on Parent Avenue in the Byward Market area of Ottawa. That was in the very early 1970s. The business was run by Denis Cousineau and his father was a mechanic/wheel builder. In the late 1970s they moved around the corner into a much larger building on Murray Street. They subsequently opened an additional and even larger store in Gatineau before moving moving to their final location on Promenade du Portage in Hull, which closed about three years ago. The last time I visited, the Gatineau store was being managed by Denis' son. We always visited Denis when we were in the Ottawa region for races, though we never went to the satellite store in Orleans.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-01-20 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 05:51 AM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The derailleurs appear to be era correct Shimano Z-series but there were a few models that used them. The brakes and wheels look like replacements, along with the handlebars, stems and shift levers. That really complicates identification. What size seat post does it use?

Regarding Pecco's Vélos, it was a small family owned chain of bicycle stores in the Ottawa region. The original location was a small two storey shop located on Parent Avenue in the Byward Market area of Ottawa. That was in the very early 1970s. The business was run by Denis Cousineau and his father was a mechanic/wheel builder. In the late 1970s they moved around the corner into a much larger building on Murray Street. They subsequently opened an additional and even larger store in Gatineau before moving moving to their final location on Promenade du Portage in Hull, which closed about three years ago. The last time I visited, the Gatineau store was being managed by Denis' son. We always visited Denis when we were in the Ottawa region for races, though we never went to the satellite store in Orleans.
Thanks for the info , the seat post was oversize and stuck in place so i had to hack it out but i'm guessing 27, the bottom bracket also has cable tunnels , fork is made of Tange 5 , both rear and fork drops are forged but not stamped !
Old 07-02-20, 06:19 AM
T-Mar

Thanks for the info , the seat post was oversize and stuck in place so i had to hack it out but i'm guessing 27, the bottom bracket also has cable tunnels , fork is made of Tange 5 , both rear and fork drops are forged but not stamped !
Sorry, but I can't help any further with the identification without knowing the seat post size,as the colour, crankset and derailleurs were used on several models. There was no such thing as a Tange 5 fork. All the Tange Champion tubesets used common fork blades and a generic decal. If there's a Tange 5 decal on the fork (not visible in your picture), it was applied by a previous owner.
Old 07-03-20, 07:20 AM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, but I can't help any further with the identification without knowing the seat post size,as the colour, crankset and derailleurs were used on several models. There was no such thing as a Tange 5 fork. All the Tange Champion tubesets used common fork blades and a generic decal. If there's a Tange 5 decal on the fork (not visible in your picture), it was applied by a previous owner.
Ok so maybe its just the stem tube and not the fork blades that is made of Tange 5 since its clearly stamped on the tube - what were the different or more common seat post size for 1986 ?
Old 07-03-20, 10:49 AM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
From my measurements the seat post is 25.8 .. does that make any sense ?
Old 07-03-20, 02:38 PM
T-Mar

Ok so maybe its just the stem tube and not the fork blades that is made of Tange 5 since its clearly stamped on the tube - what were the different or more common seat post size for 1986 ?
That steerer tube isn;t Tange #5 either. That 5 is part of the date code, indicating that the fork was manufactured in 1985.
Old 07-03-20, 02:43 PM
T-Mar

From my measurements the seat post is 25.8 .. does that make any sense ?
Yes, that's a common size for medium gauge hi-tensile steel, as used by the bicycle industry. That, in conjunction with the crankset and derailleurs, would make your bicycle a 1986 Miele Uno.
Old 07-07-20, 08:46 AM
jtyr71 

Bikes: ROAD: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, 1974 Kabuki Diamond Tourer, 1978 Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here a super rare one: 1975 (or '76?)Kabuki Diamond Road, serial # A623524

Given your serial number guide:
BRIDGESTONE (Japan): Myxxxxx & Fyxxxxx.
F indicates an alpha character designating the fortnight (i.e. A= weeks 1-2, B=weeks 3-4,....Z = weeks 51-52)
M indicates an alpha character designating the month (i.e. A = January, B= February,... L = December)
y indicates a numeric character designating the last digit of the year (i.e. 1 = 1971 or 1981, 2 = 1972 or 1982, etc.). With such codes, you have to determine the decade based on frame characteristics, components, etc.

This bike looks like it was made in early 1976. The OHTS and Japanese characters perhaps identify a particular frame builder?

Old 07-08-20, 02:42 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I'm fairly sure this one is pre-1990 to add to the database. Dorado Sherpa step-through frame MTB. Sticker says "Made in Taiwan". SN under BB is "M7B 00949". Nothing on this frame is original except possibly the brakes - Dia-compe cantilevers up front with the spring anchor hole on the outside of the post rather than the now-standard inside. Under-chainstay U-brakes in the rear. Everything else was a parts bin build.

I've read on the internet that Dorado was a house brand for Costco in the 80s. Someone actually has a Dorado 1986 catalog and price list on eBay right now that says they were a brand of "Rocky Cycle Co." of California. I assume that was an importer? I don't know if they had any other brands, but perhaps T-Mar does.

Old 07-08-20, 04:02 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by AeroGut
I'm fairly sure this one is pre-1990 to add to the database. Dorado Sherpa step-through frame MTB. Sticker says "Made in Taiwan". SN under BB is "M7B 00949". Nothing on this frame is original except possibly the brakes - Dia-compe cantilevers up front with the spring anchor hole on the outside of the post rather than the now-standard inside. Under-chainstay U-brakes in the rear. Everything else was a parts bin build.

I've read on the internet that Dorado was a house brand for Costco in the 80s. Someone actually has a Dorado 1986 catalog and price list on eBay right now that says they were a brand of "Rocky Cycle Co." of California. I assume that was an importer? I don't know if they had any other brands, but perhaps T-Mar does.
The chainstay mounted brake bosses, in conjunction with the S/N indicates 1987 manufacture by Merida of Taiwan. There was a company called Dorado Imports out of Tiburon, Califormia around this time who imported bicycles and I was of the understanding that it was their brand.
Old 07-08-20, 04:07 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by jtyr71
Here a super rare one: 1975 (or '76?)Kabuki Diamond Road, serial # A623524

Given your serial number guide:
BRIDGESTONE (Japan): Myxxxxx & Fyxxxxx.
F indicates an alpha character designating the fortnight (i.e. A= weeks 1-2, B=weeks 3-4,....Z = weeks 51-52)
M indicates an alpha character designating the month (i.e. A = January, B= February,... L = December)
y indicates a numeric character designating the last digit of the year (i.e. 1 = 1971 or 1981, 2 = 1972 or 1982, etc.). With such codes, you have to determine the decade based on frame characteristics, components, etc.

This bike looks like it was made in early 1976. The OHTS and Japanese characters perhaps identify a particular frame builder?
Definitely a 1976 model. I'm inclined to believe that the OHTS and Japanese character stamping may indicate the manufacturer of the bottom bracket shell, though I'm not positive.
Old 07-08-20, 04:10 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
The chainstay mounted brake bosses, in conjunction with the S/N indicates 1987 manufacture by Merida of Taiwan. There was a company called Dorado Imports out of Tiburon, Califormia around this time who imported bicycles and I was of the understanding that it was their brand.
T-Mar In case it's of interest to you, here's a link to the eBay auction showing images of the Dorado "by Rocky" catalog that has the company address as Rocky Cycle Co., Inc. in Sunnyvale, California with additional sites in NJ and FL. I don't see anything that says Dorado Imports. The specific image of interest is below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorado-Bicy...AAAOSwwP1ZzAuj

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.