Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 6 or Checkpoint?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek FX 6 or Checkpoint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 03:44 PM
bigevil

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Trek FX 6 or Checkpoint?

first off, thanks for your time/opinions and help! This hobby is absolutely wonderful but there's SO much information and opinion. Head is spinning a bit.

I've off bike's for 20 years but even only two weeks back in and I'm already ripping and riding around and loving every minute of it.

I purchased a FX Sport 4 Carbon a week ago but found myself needing MORE in terms of power in the higher gear and switched out for a FX Sport 6 a few days ago to give the 105 a try over the GRX 1x11. For the record I'm loving it. It's a fun bike, rides comfortably and I love how light it is.

The lovely gent at the Trek store felt I should really consider a Checkpoint because he could tell that I'm the kind of person who will naturally start hitting more and more side roads, uneven surfaces the more comfortable I get but the truth is I just couldn't get comfortable on both the drop bars and the general ride of it. What I can't tell is if I just need to suck it up and get used to it, or stay with my FX 6 for a while until I can tell it's time for more.

I'm riding in Los Angeles, in mostly a busy part of the San Fernando valley (lots of car traffic).

Main goals for this particular bike are fitness, intervals, and general cruising around in the metropolitan area. I could see my girlfriend and I taking it on a weekend up the coast to find better bike path's but our daily riding will be I imagine an hour or so on mixed roads and bike paths. (likely 10-15miles but more as I get more stamina).

I do like to hit the side gravel and paved path's as they come, adventuring a bit onto fire roads or worn in walkin path's but I'm not going to be hitting mountains etc yet. (that said I do catch myself wanting to push harder!)

There's something about flatbar that feels way more safe/comfortable for me with all of the traffic around, I prefer the way I can look around, constantly keep my eye on traffic and the truth is I don't see myself going on rides longer than an hour or two right now (we wear casual clothes, and I'm not trying to race or anything).

My question to you wonderful folk is is my FX 6 good for my purposes or should I just switch for the Checkpoint and learn how to handle the flat bars. I know it's a bit of Apples/Oranges. I have a feeling I'll ultimately end up with two different bikes, one for road, one for gravel/mountain but figure any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm tied to Trek for this first bike because even though I can switch for another model, I can't really see returning it at the moment (and to be honest I love them and their customer support).

Thanks!
Old 05-23-20, 04:01 PM
DarkSkyHUnter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil
first off, thanks for your time/opinions and help! This hobby is absolutely wonderful but there's SO much information and opinion. Head is spinning a bit.

I've off bike's for 20 years but even only two weeks back in and I'm already ripping and riding around and loving every minute of it.

I purchased a FX Sport 4 Carbon a week ago but found myself needing MORE in terms of power in the higher gear and switched out for a FX Sport 6 a few days ago to give the 105 a try over the GRX 1x11. For the record I'm loving it. It's a fun bike, rides comfortably and I love how light it is.

The lovely gent at the Trek store felt I should really consider a Checkpoint because he could tell that I'm the kind of person who will naturally start hitting more and more side roads, uneven surfaces the more comfortable I get but the truth is I just couldn't get comfortable on both the drop bars and the general ride of it. What I can't tell is if I just need to suck it up and get used to it, or stay with my FX 6 for a while until I can tell it's time for more.

I'm riding in Los Angeles, in mostly a busy part of the San Fernando valley (lots of car traffic).

Main goals for this particular bike are fitness, intervals, and general cruising around in the metropolitan area. I could see my girlfriend and I taking it on a weekend up the coast to find better bike path's but our daily riding will be I imagine an hour or so on mixed roads and bike paths. (likely 10-15miles but more as I get more stamina).

I do like to hit the side gravel and paved path's as they come, adventuring a bit onto fire roads or worn in walkin path's but I'm not going to be hitting mountains etc yet. (that said I do catch myself wanting to push harder!)

There's something about flatbar that feels way more safe/comfortable for me with all of the traffic around, I prefer the way I can look around, constantly keep my eye on traffic and the truth is I don't see myself going on rides longer than an hour or two right now (we wear casual clothes, and I'm not trying to race or anything).

My question to you wonderful folk is is my FX 6 good for my purposes or should I just switch for the Checkpoint and learn how to handle the flat bars. I know it's a bit of Apples/Oranges. I have a feeling I'll ultimately end up with two different bikes, one for road, one for gravel/mountain but figure any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm tied to Trek for this first bike because even though I can switch for another model, I can't really see returning it at the moment (and to be honest I love them and their customer support).

Thanks!
My reply will be slightly off-topic, but I'm in a similar situation. Drop bars are not an option for my do to a club arm. The extra required reach is a no go for me.

I currently ride the Verve 2 with several mods: clips, bar ends, ergo grips 35mm tires. I've been keeping an eye on the FX Sport 4 Carbon as my next bike.

What average speeds are you normally reaching? I'm typically running 16 to 17 mph. My primary concern with the FX Sport 4 Carbon is the 40T Crank potentially causing me to spin out. Normally I get myself in a forward/low position over the bars when I reach speeds over 25 mph on downhills.

The FX 5 and 6 are other bikes I'm also currently looking at, especially if the 2021 models adopt a similar 1X gravel setup. A 1x12 system with a 10-50 in the rear would be a nice compromise.

There's nothing wrong with a flat bar setup. I do highly recommend bar ends for leverage while climbing. I use the Bontrager Lite bar ends.
Likes For DarkSkyHUnter:
Old 05-23-20, 04:18 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

For the record I'm loving it. It's a fun bike, rides comfortably and I love how light it is.

The lovely gent at the Trek store felt I should really consider a Checkpoint but the truth is I just couldn't get comfortable on both the drop bars and the general ride of it.

My question to you wonderful folk is is my FX 6 good for my purposes or should I just switch for the Checkpoint and learn how to handle the flat bars.

Thanks!
Bike is fine, keep it.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 05-23-20, 04:29 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

Thanks!
When you start getting into longer rides, you may find flat bars to be limiting. One hand position, one riding position. Drop bars offer multiple hand positions and riding positions. And on longer rides, the neutral position, with hands on the hoods is so much more natural for the hands and wrists.
That said, if 90% or more of your rides are less than 2 hours, you might be fine sticking with your flat bars.
Old 05-23-20, 06:12 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Well everyone is different, so what works for me may not work best for you. Having said that, I would (and did) go with a gravel bike.

I started off with a flat bar Fuji Absolute in 2015. It was an excellent bike to introduce me to the sport, and I have no regrets about buying it. But over time I realized that I preferred the more natural hand position which drop bars would provide (the hoods, specifically). I tried bar ends for a while, but I ride on roads and just didn't feel safe having to completely change hand positions to reach the brake. So last year I traded the Absolute in for a gravel bike (Fuji Jari), and it was definitely the right choice for me. I enjoy riding much more now than I did before because I have no numbness in my hands. This coming week will make one year since I bought it, and I've put a little over 3,000 miles on it so far - which is almost as much as I put on the other bike in the four years I owned it. It's just a really fun bike. I know everyone has their own idea of what a hybrid bike is, but to me a gravel bike is a perfect hybrid bike because it's made to handle paved and unpaved roads, all while providing endurance geometry and a more natural hand position which allows for longer rides without fighting hand numbness.

If you decide to go that route, you might also consider some other brands besides Trek. When I was looking at gravel bikes last year, I think the Checkpoint's tire clearance was narrower than some from other brands like the Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Topstone, and Fuji Jari. If you think you might eventually want to put wider 650b tires on it, Trek may not be the best choice. Also pay attention to seemingly little things, such as the number and location of brazeons. I really like having them on the top tube - I have a small bag mounted there for snacks or keys, and it doesn't wobble around like a bag that's velcroed on. And I like having the extra mounting points under the down tube - I keep my repair kit there. Just saying that if you're going to get a gravel bike, those are some differences I noticed last year when I was looking for mine. Of course with the newer models that may have changed.
Old 05-23-20, 06:51 PM
bigevil

Freaking awesome thoughts/advice everyone. It seems like maybe I spend next few month's on the FX, and when I'm ready to get into longer rides, more aggressive stuff I switch to a gravel (or buy a second perhaps?).

Stupid question, but can I be taking my FX onto dirt paths (flat), shallow grass, and like slightly tougher road surfaces?
Old 05-23-20, 10:10 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Stupid question, but can I be taking my FX onto dirt paths (flat), shallow grass, and like slightly tougher road surfaces?
Yes, as long as you can handle it, your bike can ride it.

The biggest limitation for flat bars is the lack of hand positions. I think 45 miles was the longest I road on a flat bar and I was moving my hands around quite a bit (no bar ends). If you get into longer rides, adding bar ends will help.
Old 05-24-20, 09:24 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Following up on my previous post about tire clearance, Trek contradicts itself on its own website. Here it says the maximum tire clearance on the Checkpoint is 700x38, but here it says 700x45. That's something you could easily check in the shop if it's important to you. The Checkpoint is a good bike overall, that's for sure.

For comparison, the Fuji Jari and Cannondale Topstone both list max clearance as 700x42, and the Specialized Diverge leads the pack with 700x47.

Freaking awesome thoughts/advice everyone. It seems like maybe I spend next few month's on the FX, and when I'm ready to get into longer rides, more aggressive stuff I switch to a gravel (or buy a second perhaps?).
Sounds like a good plan. Give yourself time to decide what you do and don't need. It may very well be that the FX is exactly what you want.

Very easily. You'll have no trouble with any of that. And you can always put a different tire on it that's more suited to whatever surface you're riding on most. But the FX itself will not be a problem.

Most of all, enjoy the bike!!!
Old 05-24-20, 09:34 PM
bigevil

you guys (and gals) rule! I imagine I'll be back in a few weeks to report on where my head is at. Or perhaps have you all guide me into a whole different type of purchase to supplement this if I want to get more serious into gravel down the line,

Originally Posted by AU Tiger
Sounds like a good plan. Give yourself time to decide what you do and don't need. It may very well be that the FX is exactly what you want.

Very easily. You'll have no trouble with any of that. And you can always put a different tire on it that's more suited to whatever surface you're riding on most. But the FX itself will not be a problem.
Originally Posted by katsup
Yes, as long as you can handle it, your bike can ride it.
stairs? and hoping curbs? I know that sounds silly but I'm already temped after only one week in.
Old 05-24-20, 10:44 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
stairs? and hoping curbs? I know that sounds silly but I'm already temped after only one week in.
I was referring more to surfaces like grass, dirt, gravel, etc...That being said, the FX6 will likely be OK with curbs / stairs, but the wheels may be the weak point. I wouldn't make a habit of hoping curbs or stairs.
Old 05-25-20, 08:44 AM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

I purchased a FX Sport 4 Carbon a week ago but found myself needing MORE in terms of power in the higher gear and switched out for a FX Sport 6 a few days ago to give the 105 a try over the GRX 1x11. For the record I'm loving it.!

My 2C worth and remember you get what you pay for. I'm buying another bike in the next month or so and have it narrowed down to either the FX 6 or the FX 4 Carbon and I keep going back and forth between the two. I ride mostly on paved roads, Mups and throw in a rail trail or two... for fitness and fun. Packed gravel comes into play every now and then. Around here (N. Ky.) I deal with a lot of hills. So both of those bikes would be just fine for me. Also, at my age, I don't like leaning over so a flat bar is what I want.

Like you discovered and after looking at the gearing for the FX 4 Carbon, it appeared to be geared leaning more toward a gravel bike than road. The FX 6, OTH, with its 2x chain ring pretty much covers it all in the gearing department. BUT, I really like the simplicity of a 1X on the FX 4 Carbon.. One thought that I've kicked around is simply change the chainring on the FX 4 to a 42 (it comes with a 40) but that's an extra expense (about $80 for a GRX one) right from the get go and I'm not sure how Trek would then view the warranty... unless the local Trek store installed it. That would put the FX 4 Carbon gearing higher although not quite as much in the higher gears of the FX 6.
Old 05-25-20, 08:49 AM
bigevil

Originally Posted by LesG
My 2C worth and remember you get what you pay for. I'm buying another bike in the next month or so and have it narrowed down to either the FX 6 or the FX 4 Carbon and I keep going back and forth between the two. I ride mostly on paved roads, Mups and throw in a rail trail or two... for fitness and fun. Packed gravel comes into play every now and then. Around here (N. Ky.) I deal with a lot of hills. So both of those bikes would be just fine for me. Also, at my age, I don't like leaning over so a flat bar is what I want.

Like you discovered and after looking at the gearing for the FX 4 Carbon, it appeared to be geared leaning more toward a gravel bike than road. The FX 6, OTH, with its 2x chain ring pretty much covers it all in the gearing department. BUT, I really like the simplicity of a 1X on the FX 4 Carbon.. One thought that I've kicked around is simply change the chainring on the FX 4 to a 42 (it comes with a 40) but that's an extra expense (about $80 for a GRX one) right from the get go and I'm not sure how Trek would then view the warranty... unless the local Trek store installed it. That would put the FX 4 Carbon gearing higher although not quite as much in the higher gears of the FX 6.
honestly, I think you’ll love the fx4. I did. And I really appreciated the 1x and the entire GRX platform. I just know myself and know I’m going to push a bit harder. I do like the extra gearing on super steep hills too, but if I was riding mostly flat and not trying to rip intervals I’d get a 4 carbon all damn day! If $ isn’t an object then the 6 rules cause it also comes in black !
Old 05-25-20, 08:53 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
you guys (and gals) rule! I imagine I'll be back in a few weeks to report on where my head is at. Or perhaps have you all guide me into a whole different type of purchase to supplement this if I want to get more serious into gravel down the line,

The stock wheels are probably the weak point, so I would probably not be doing that, or you will find yourself looking for a good wheel builder sooner rather than later.
Old 06-04-20, 12:47 PM
bigevil

Originally Posted by MRT2
The stock wheels are probably the weak point, so I would probably not be doing that, or you will find yourself looking for a good wheel builder sooner rather than later.
yup, I hit some wet dirt path's today and it got quite squirly, my poor GF ate it on her FX1.

I'm really kinda at a loss/toss up on the bikes atm. I'm going back sunday to take the Checkpoint ALR4 for a much more detailed ride (maybe even swap) then I'll make a final call on which one to stick with. Worse case, I'll keep the FX Sport 6 as an epic cruiser for small daily high traffic area rides and buy a second gravel bike (possibly not even trek) for more aggressive riding.
Old 06-06-20, 05:46 PM
bigevil

wowsers. after heading to Trek today to try the Checkpoint ALR5 and SL5 [the latter scaring my bankroll] the manager pulled a demo Checkpoint SL6 that had next to no signs of usage and the blew it out straight COVID/Demo style for only few hundred dollars more than my FX6. I'm ecstatic, and i LOVE this freaking bike. The bike had R3 tires on it when I rode it around and I think at least 75% of my initial discomfort on that bike before was from the GR1 tires. Today was a breeze and I loved the drop bar vibes. Snagged the extra set of tires so I can swap for Road and Gravel. I couldn't be happier. thank you ALL for your help!!
Old 06-09-20, 08:16 PM
tfarmer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wowsers. after heading to Trek today to try the Checkpoint ALR5 and SL5 [the latter scaring my bankroll] the manager pulled a demo Checkpoint SL6 that had next to no signs of usage and the blew it out straight COVID/Demo style for only few hundred dollars more than my FX6. I'm ecstatic, and i LOVE this freaking bike. The bike had R3 tires on it when I rode it around and I think at least 75% of my initial discomfort on that bike before was from the GR1 tires. Today was a breeze and I loved the drop bar vibes. Snagged the extra set of tires so I can swap for Road and Gravel. I couldn't be happier. thank you ALL for your help!!
WOW what a deal. A Checkpoint SL6 that has a MSRP of $3,799 for a few hundred dollars more than the FX6 that has a MSRP of $2,099? Man you need to go buy a lottery ticket if that’s indeed the deal you got.
Old 06-09-20, 08:26 PM
bigevil

Originally Posted by tfarmer
WOW what a deal. A Checkpoint SL6 that has a MSRP of $3,799 for a few hundred dollars more than the FX6 that has a MSRP of $2,099? Man you need to go buy a lottery ticket if that’s indeed the deal you got.
I got out the door at 2699! [I had been obsessing over the damn ALR5 vs SL5 for a week and decided I needed the 105, then just straight good luck Ventura had a demo SL6]

The second he wheeled it out I said "i'll take it right now". The dudes couldn't have been nicer. I don't feel worthy but I only hope to be able to learn and grow to take advantage of this!
Old 06-11-20, 10:02 AM
Roger Ramjet

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I got out the door at 2699! [I had been obsessing over the damn ALR5 vs SL5 for a week and decided I needed the 105, then just straight good luck Ventura had a demo SL6]

The second he wheeled it out I said "i'll take it right now". The dudes couldn't have been nicer. I don't feel worthy but I only hope to be able to learn and grow to take advantage of this!
WOW, congrats!!!!!!!!! You got a GREAT deal. Enjoy it!!!!!!!