Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Bike Recommendation: Trek? Co-op CTY?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 12:49 PM
mls21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,
New to this forum. Looking for an upgrade with my Trek FX 1 - a few years old, and starting to ride longer distances. Some of the trails near me, while paved, are rather bumpy and uneven. So, going 30+ miles on them can be a bit uncomfortable. Looking for something that will give slightly smoother ride. Was originally thinking the Trek FX 3 Disc - sounds like the carbon fiber fork really helps take in some bumps/vibrations. But - it seems to be sold out everywhere. Doing some more research, sounds like the Co-op bikes from REI are really good, although they are all pretty different. After reviewing them a bit, I was thinking about the CTY 3.1. It's steel and has thicker tires, both of which should help dampen the vibrations. The CTY 2.1/2.2 both have suspension, which I don't think I need. And CTY 1.1/1.2 probably doesn't provide much support there.

I like the idea of the 3.1 - while not planning on doing much (if any) dirt/mountain biking I like the flexibility it provides. And I'm not overly concerned with speed, although the few reviews I saw make it sound like it's not really a slow bike at all.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with the CTY 3.1? Would love to see more feedback - it's pretty sparse what I could find.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-20, 07:06 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
The CTY 3.1 looks like a solid bike. Another bike that seems to be about the exact same bike (at least in concept) is the Jamis Sequel. It's $100 less, and comes with Shimano 10-speed rather than SRAM 11-speed on the CTY. We don't know how many teeth the crank on the CTY has; the Sequel comes with a 40-tooth. Something like a 36-tooth might be better for recreational path riding, but that's not hard to change. Both come with at least a front through axle. The CTY doesn't specify what the rear axle type is, but the picture looks like it may be a through axle also. Both bikes come with entry level Shimano hydraulic brakes (they work well).

I'm not a member or customer of REI, but I hear good things from those who are (including discounts, coupons, etc.). The Jamis is an independent brand, available through their own retailer network. One of my local bike shops carries Jamis, and speaks highly of the brand. Jamis frames (at least some of them) are made by Kinesis. I don't know who makes REI's frames.
Old 06-01-20, 07:32 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Have you tried going with a wider tire on the FX1? It more than likely came with 32mm tires. Try some 38mm tires and see if they help smooth things a bit. I don't think a carbon fork is going to make a big enough difference. It will make a little difference but there will be no "Wow" factor.
Old 06-01-20, 08:55 PM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The CTY 3.1 looks like a solid bike. Another bike that seems to be about the exact same bike (at least in concept) is the Jamis Sequel. It's $100 less, and comes with Shimano 10-speed rather than SRAM 11-speed on the CTY. We don't know how many teeth the crank on the CTY has; the Sequel comes with a 40-tooth. Something like a 36-tooth might be better for recreational path riding, but that's not hard to change. Both come with at least a front through axle. The CTY doesn't specify what the rear axle type is, but the picture looks like it may be a through axle also. Both bikes come with entry level Shimano hydraulic brakes (they work well).

I'm not a member or customer of REI, but I hear good things from those who are (including discounts, coupons, etc.). The Jamis is an independent brand, available through their own retailer network. One of my local bike shops carries Jamis, and speaks highly of the brand. Jamis frames (at least some of them) are made by Kinesis. I don't know who makes REI's frames.
The REI CTY has grip shift too
Old 06-02-20, 09:52 AM
mls21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I was planning on going ahead with the CTY 3.1. Figured with REI's return policy I can try it out for up to a year, and if I end up preferring the FX 3 or another bike could go with that. And thanks for the Jamis suggestion, but with the 10% credit (I am a member) it ends up being about the same price.

Then heard back that the FX 3 may be in stock again in a week or so. Think I'll still try out the CTY, and if it's too heavy and not road-friendly enough I'll make the switch if/when the FX becomes available.