Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

I’m wondering which mid drive e bikes for heavy riders people are enjoying.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 04:34 PM
n8te76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m 42 yrs old, 6’-3” and 350lbs. I’m wanting a cruiser style bike frame but a bike HD enough to do light trail riding and also be able to lug my big butt up hills. I’m told to look up Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra , ELux Tahoe GT, or Soul Fast Stomper SS. And to buy biggest frame they offer.
Do Any of you own one of these or can give reviews of or recommend a bike to suit me.
Old 05-15-20, 06:09 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from Introductions to E-Bikes.
Old 05-17-20, 04:51 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
The two main mid-drive motors for adding to existing bicycles are the BaFang BBS02 and BBSHD and the TongSheng TSDZ2. I have both of these and commute with a TongSheng motor and have toured with a BaFeng BBS02. Of the two, the BaFang mid-drives have more powerful motors. However, the TongSheng has much better control.

The TongSheng uses a torque sensor. That is just what it sounds like, when you start pedalling, the motor starts putting power out. This is very intuitive and easy to use. Thes is little sense of being on an e-bike when compared to other e-bikes arrangements. It is just a bicycle that is easy to ride. The downside is that, even though the claim is 750 watts, It never put out even 300 watts. This will make the uphill easier, but you are still going to know that you are going uphill.

On the other hand, the BaFeng uses a cadence sensor. Once you get moving, the sensor sees that you are moving and begins to apply power. From a touring perspective, this caused some issues on grades where I had the first get moving, then the motor kicked in. Another oddity to be aware of, with the BaFeng, the harder the rider pedals, the less power the motor puts out. This seems totally backward to me, but I watched my watt meter on some long grades and confirmed that is what was happening.

If your plan is to add a throttle, the BaFeng is still going to feel more powerful than the TongSheng. Of the BaFeng motors, I have the BBS02, I saw little reason for the BBSHD. The BBSHD has slightly upgraded parts and can be gotten to fit a fat-bike frame. My BBS02, without a throttle, worked just fine pulling me, and a stupidly overloaded trailer, over the Rocky Mountains with no trouble at all.

With all that said, I am going to recommend two different approaches. The first is the BBS02 with a throttle. The reason for the throttle is to give better control. Also, it allows you to hammer up the hills and still have the motor providing adequate. If, on the other hand, you want more workout, but you just want some help to make the whole thing easier, I recommend the TSDZ2. It has great control without a throttle and just makes the bike easier to ride. It is much more intuitive.

Edited to add:
I don't want this to sound like these are the only mid-drives on the market. However, most of the others are significantly more complicated to install. I don't see them suited for a first e-bike.

Last edited by Robert C; 05-17-20 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-24-20, 10:40 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Forget the kit stuff.

A good mid-drive bike that will handle a big guy is any of the Raleigh Retroglide models.

-SP
Old 05-25-20, 12:11 PM
DukeO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n8te76
I’m 42 yrs old, 6’-3” and 350lbs. I’m wanting a cruiser style bike frame but a bike HD enough to do light trail riding and also be able to lug my big butt up hills. I’m told to look up Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra , ELux Tahoe GT, or Soul Fast Stomper SS. And to buy biggest frame they offer.
Do Any of you own one of these or can give reviews of or recommend a bike to suit me.
I have a Dual Sport Ultra with a Bafang Ultra Max from M2S bikes. I am 6'5" 210lbs and it fits me great. It will do 35+ on the flats and climbs like a billy-goat.They do not carry that one anymore. But they still do have some with the Bafang Ultra Max. Most of the ebike with a Ultra Max now are fat tire. Mine are 2.5. That is the motor I would recommend for you and it also has a thumb-throttle One of the very few mid-drives with one.
Old 05-25-20, 07:37 PM
Damar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neubie

Hola im a neubie