Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New York ran out of bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New York ran out of bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 11:31 AM
Camouflage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a good sign. WE should have more bikes and fewer cars on the road.
Old 05-25-20, 12:09 PM
Treasure Cycles

Bikes: Too many to list. Favorites include 1976 Rene Herse, 1968 Alex Singer, 1972 Alex Singer tandem, Late 60’s Jo Routens, early 70’s Masi 3V, Cinelli MX.1 BMX, my many steel Colnagos, ...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Who would have thought bicycle demand would overtake supply?!
Old 05-25-20, 12:39 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
"skyscrapers and everything!"

Stevie just turned 70!

Stevie's top 20
As humorous as that line is, the song depicts a very tragic condition that still exists.
Old 05-25-20, 01:38 PM
johnwalt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone remember the bike shortage in the early 70s during the gas shortage ? I was working in a Schwinn (made in Chicago) store. Schwinn rationed bikes to their dealers according to how many they sold in the past. I still remember 1 delivery that was a full tractor trailer of 252 bikes and Schwinns were NOT light back then. Jay"s Cycle Center, Westfield, NJ.
Old 05-25-20, 05:09 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Old timers here are hoping its an unconfirmed sighting of R600DuraAce

Bill
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 05-25-20, 07:21 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by niliraga
...and the NYC listings on CL are now full of gas pipe step-throughs with 1-piece cranks, happily listing for over $300...
Some dude had a Tommasini Velocista on CL for $995. I missed it by a day, and I'm furious why myself. Hopefully some hipster doofus bought it because he/she thought it was cool, and will end up losing interest.

Originally Posted by branko_76
I have a friend in NYC who rides his single speed bike across the Brooklyn Bridge. Are there hills in NYC ?
​​​​
Hills yes. Mountains, no. But the bridges are fun to ride when they aren't too crowded.
Old 05-26-20, 12:25 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,479 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Treasure Cycles
Who would have thought bicycle demand would overtake supply?!
Economist Karl Merckx.

<ducks>
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-26-20, 06:39 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
in this morning's paper

Old 05-26-20, 09:41 AM
mjd420nova

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Everywhere is experiencing a bicycle shortage and the retailers are boosting their prices to take advantage of a desperate consumer. Just about everything priced below $1,000. is gone and the inventory of children's bikes has disappeared. Forget electric bikes, sold out until NEXT YEAR. Glad I got my new one two years ago, couldn't find one now for anything short of the national debt.
Old 05-26-20, 03:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I've got a couple of bikes that I have been waiting until spring to sell. Now with Covid, my wife won't let me sell them because I might come in contact with someone. And I can't look for anything either, although why would I. The prices or too high.

Now is the time to sell.
My wife has also asked me not to do some things that I think are safe. I honor her wishes anyway. But if you can talk to her, tell her that the amount of time of exposure is one of the key factors. If you stay away from each other's bodies and limit the visit, it seems reasonably safe. I handed over my donated/loaned bike by leaning it against a building and stepping away from it. I spoke to the other person from a distance and kept it short.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-26-20, 04:01 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Thanks noglider . I will work on talking to my wife and see if she will soften her position. I've got a Schwinn World ready to go with upright bars, a Fuji Espree that needs to get reassembled and a Electra coaster brake cruiser.

One thing that I do like right now is that when I do ride, I see plenty of other people riding. Some will loose interest, some will stick with it. More people on bikes is a good thing.
Old 06-01-20, 02:04 PM
mjd420nova

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My son is more into the vintage BMX bikes and some of the newer ones from some of the old but still existing builders. He had 20 bikes when he moved a year ago, and about a ton of parts for those and many others. I just need ONE reliable ride, mid prices ($300-500), a comfortable seat and Mr Tuffy in the tires. Last one lasted 20 years.
Old 06-02-20, 04:32 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I have, maybe seven or eight bikes I’d like to send on to new homes, but they’re in

We had just moved to New York in January, so Diana could take some exclusive music development workshops and make some music theater connections in the Big Apple. She was already making real connections, was offered a gig with the national tour of Tootsie, and then it all ground to a halt.

Were in MI right now, figuring out if it’s going to be worth the cost of living to be in NYC post covid.

So now we’ve been in MI for seven weeks, we have a sublet in Manhattan, we are subletting the apartment we left in Chicago, and we are living a few towns away from Detroit. We have stuff in all these places, and we don’t know where we’re going to end up living.

I count my blessings, her folks are just the best, and we have a lot of space. Our living quarters are very generous and outside we’re in a beautiful area with trees and a river, and I’ve been doing a lot of gravel riding on the dirt roads.

And I’m just going to say it, because you guys will understand...

I miss my bike hoard!

I know, I know...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A
Cost of living in NYC is crazy. The Dutch fellow who joined GM a few years back as senior exec and setup Cadillac HQ in SOHO to improve the brand’s luxury DNA ended up living in Hoboken, NJ. He got canned for lack of results and Cadillac came back to the Mitten.

Living in limbo sucks, but you sound okay! Be glad that you weren’t in NYC or NNJ during the last 3 months. Detroit has been bad, but sounds like you are downriver where it is unimpaired.
Old 06-02-20, 06:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Most new bike purchases end up sitting after a few months. If the pandemic (that is not over) increases the % that continue to be used, that would be a positive side effect, but many would consider it a behavioral change brought on by a long slow tragedy.

No matter, more bikes and less cars is a good thing.

Now, we wait with masks and sanitizer for the bikes that don't become permanent garage fixtures to trickle through to the various used marketplaces, where savvy buyers will likely get them, some in volumes that will dwarf what used to dominate CL, etc.

The sad news is that a lot of these are going to be the low end from discount stores. BUT, they may be affordable enough that more kids who otherwise wouldn't get a bike will get one. No down side there. Let's hope bike education matches up with an increase in ownership and riding. increased awareness and perception of a cyclist as more of a healthy, involved traveler than a light-running daredevil can't hurt.

​​​​The better news is that a lot of these are going to be from bike shops, and decent.
Mo' bikes is better.

The average cost to retune a cheapo bike, once it hits that "200-miles and no longer works" mark is about $15 and an hour of labor. I'm stocking up on cables and waiting for the kids to stop by, so I can turn the little buggers loose on bikes that work.
Likes For RobbieTunes: