Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

105 $3000 Bikes: Endurace - Domane - Pinarello Gan Disk K

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

105 $3000 Bikes: Endurace - Domane - Pinarello Gan Disk K

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 11:21 PM
lykbutta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I’m new to biking too and I’ve followed your posts about the bikes. I did learn a lot reading the forum here and watching the GCN channel on YouTube. Lots of different options. I had a 09 Trek 820 that I rode maybe 30 miles it’s whole life. Due to covid 19 I got into biking more and not knowing any better bought a trek Marlin 6. Nicer bike. Better shifting. Cool. Started getting better and doing longer rides and a coworker that rides says man you need a road bike. Did a lot more research and yes there are $3k bikes out there and I can definitely swing the price tag easy, but why. I’m learning the sport and only 2 months in. Visiting my local bike shop they explained endurance vs race geometry and I determined my goal was just to get the miles in and be comfortable and not break the bank. Dropped $1550 on a 2020 contend ar1 and it fits perfectly. Comfortable (to me) D Fuse seat, tubeless tires, carbon fork and 105. To me it’s like a Cadillac coming from what I used to own. Had it for 2 weeks now and doing 100 miles a week on average. I read about wheels people post and all these upgrades but for now I, 6’3, 255 am in it to lose weight and have fun. There is very good advice given here. I for one don’t want to spend your money for you. It appears there are some seasoned bikers here trying to help you not blow through your own because you can, but each their own. It’s hard to get other people’s opinions on bikes. It’s truly you have to go ride it yourself to see what fits you brotha. Hopefully it all turns out well for you. Peace.
Old 05-27-20, 11:45 PM
hydrationnation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
hydrationnation , sorry for getting off the rails, but dont let the bullies influence your thoughts!
@mgopack42 ,thanks for your input. you dont have to take any bullets that are meant for me .
sometimes it looks like some bike companies placed some reps here.
from the review the bike looks like it's placed between domane and endurace, but more towards the endurace. with a little bit more "plush" to it
Old 05-27-20, 11:59 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I read the GAN review and thought it was meaningless.
"bike felt fast" and "in its element pushing into a headwind at the front of the pack".
Honestly, where do they come up with this stuff.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 05-28-20, 12:09 AM
hydrationnation

Originally Posted by lykbutta
Dropped $1550 on a 2020 contend ar1
you paid full MSRP during corona? dont let puma1552 see that. he probably teach you some of his famous economy lessons.
good for you that you found "your" bike.
for you it's a cadillac; for the next it's a tesla and for somebody else it's a volkswagen beetle... and some people like the german bugs because they are so "plush". (oh wait)
I tested a Contend... just wasnt "my" bike.
Old 05-28-20, 12:38 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Dude, give it up. Obviously pounds aren't USD, the conversion was OBVIOUSLY and inherently accounted for when I pointed out that 7 of the 14 on the list met the $3k USD criteria.

I don't even know what position you're arguing for. My position is crystal clear, that $3k MSRP for a 105 bike is overpriced because you can get Ultegra bikes for less than $3k, and I've shown that (way to cut the Fuji out of my quote since it doesn't fit your false narrative either, lol). What position are you even arguing at this point? Just that I'm wrong when I'm clearly not? Something else? Enough is enough, just stop.

Don't blame me because you chose to pay full MSRP of $3k for your 105 bike, that was your choice and you even boasted in a holier-than-thou way about how proud you were to do so, so live with it and just accept the fact not all of us paid as much as you.

You were very rude to me to start with, completely unprovoked, and I'm sorry you got called out but you deserved it. What you should do is just say, "You know what, I'm sorry, I made ****ty presumptions about you that you didn't deserve and I'm sorry for that." But no, go ahead and continue letting your ego get in the way, avoid admitting wrongdoing at all costs - the American way.
I paid EUR 1000 for my 105 one, but hey, each to their own.
Old 05-28-20, 12:46 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Dean V
I read the GAN review and thought it was meaningless.
"bike felt fast" and "in its element pushing into a headwind at the front of the pack".
Honestly, where do they come up with this stuff.
Maybe overall, but actually very relevant to the OP:

"The rear triangle is pretty rigid and on rough roads I got the sense it wasn’t absorbing the road as effectively as some other bikes I had ridden. But the Gan isn’t made for the bumpy stuff, so I’d say it was very agreeable after a long day in the saddle."

It ain't "plush", which is what he is looking for. The problem is, he has an idea of plush in his mind (from his wife's bike) and is looking for a different bike to replicate that when the easy solution would be to find the nearest LBS that deals in his wife's bicycle and just get that.
Ah but he doesn't want that, because even though he is comparing the "plushness" of the wife's Domane, he tested an SL 5 Domane and thinks it was too sluggish. He is looking for a bike that probably doesn't exist.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-28-20, 05:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
He is looking for a bike that probably doesn't exist.
You are giving credit to the notion he knows what he is looking for.
Old 05-28-20, 06:15 AM
lykbutta

Originally Posted by hydrationnation
you paid full MSRP during corona? dont let puma1552 see that. he probably teach you some of his famous economy lessons.
good for you that you found "your" bike.
for you it's a cadillac; for the next it's a tesla and for somebody else it's a volkswagen beetle... and some people like the german bugs because they are so "plush". (oh wait)
I tested a Contend... just wasnt "my" bike.

ordered through GIANT direct since no stores had them. The closest store was 5-1/2 hours away and I wasn’t going to drive an 11 hour round trip to negotiate. I rode one and while deciding on it, it sold out. I’m very pleased though as it wasn’t an over the top price in my opinion. I just feel OP has to ride them first and simply guessing on them won’t work
Old 05-28-20, 11:00 AM
hydrationnation

This forum is tooooooo funny.
It ain't "plush", which is what he is looking for. .
You still dont get it. I didnt start the "plush" thing. But I found it too plush....ahhh funny.
Originally Posted by lykbutta
ordered through GIANT direct since no stores had them. The closest store was 5-1/2 hours away and I wasn’t going to drive an 11 hour round trip to negotiate. I rode one and while deciding on it, it sold out. I’m very pleased though as it wasn’t an over the top price in my opinion. I just feel OP has to ride them first and simply guessing on them won’t work
It was a joke... read the other post about prices during corona. I dont guess; I test. In your opinion what's an over the top price for a Contend AR1? 1551? You could have bought a 2019 carbon frame 105 bike for the price.
But hey you make your decision and I make mine. See how that goes. I am not here to tell you, that you have no clue or you are the mastermind of endurance aluminium frame bikes.
Old 05-28-20, 11:09 AM
lykbutta

You still dont get it. I didnt start the "plush" thing. But I found it too plush....ahhh funny.

It was a joke... read the other post about prices during corona. I dont guess; I test. In your opinion what's an over the top price for a Contend AR1? 1551? You could have bought a 2019 carbon frame 105 bike for the price.
But hey you make your decision and I make mine. See how that goes. I am not here to tell you, that you have no clue or you are the mastermind of endurance aluminium frame bikes.
Sounds good man.
Likes For lykbutta:
Old 05-28-20, 11:57 PM
ZHVelo

Let me quote you back to you.

My wife owns a Domane. I can directly compare the Endurace to the Domane on the same roads. Night and Day.

It's not harsh. It has just more stiffness and I try to find a good mix for me.

When the Ultimate/Endurace are plush on your scale, what is the Domane on your scale... hyper-ultra-mega-super plush?

I dont have any pain or discomfort. The problem I have with the Canyon is the ride quality.

Again, you desribed the Canyon as plush. You wouldnt describe the Canyon as plush when you had experience with a Domane Iso Speed (or you would describe the Canyon as mega plush). I have both of these bike in my garage.
You are seriously denying that you find the Canyon too stiff and of poor ride quality because you are comparing it to Domane and Iso Speed? Sure, you were not the first one to use "plush" in this thread, but you took it and ran with it ("hyper-ultra-mega-super plush"). You want a bike as agile as a Canyon but as comfortable as the Domane.

As to your comment about "this forum". Check when I joined and where I am from. I am hardly representative of "this forum" at all.
Old 05-29-20, 12:29 AM
hydrationnation

Sure, you were not the first one to use "plush" in this thread, but you took it and ran with it
Sure I did... because it's so funny... and now I wish you a plushy life. with or without a plushy volks bug...ahhh bike.
Old 05-29-20, 03:22 AM
ZHVelo

Sure I did... because it's so funny... and now I wish you a plushy life. with or without a plushy volks bug...ahhh bike.
good luck finding a bike. maybe try a different forum though i am guessing a different one will be as "funny" as this one.
Old 05-29-20, 08:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Someone looking for a $3K bike? It's neither 105 or Ultegra though (at Excel)

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-29-20, 09:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Someone looking for a $3K bike? It's neither 105 or Ultegra though (at Excel)

That's certainly not a pic of a C5, though. It actually looks like a 3T bike.
Old 05-29-20, 09:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's certainly not a pic of a C5, though. It actually looks like a 3T bike.
Indeed, and there's no pictures available on Excel's site. Best I can determine from the stock/dropdown with color Bronze/Silver, it's probably the bike reviewed here (likely a 2017 model year that somehow Excel has inventory of as NOS). Edit.. I think this is the color scheme that Seattle Forrest has for his C3

https://road.cc/content/review/19300...-dura-ace-disc

Last edited by Sy Reene; 05-29-20 at 09:32 AM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-30-20, 08:30 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Don't know what to tell you,

I have a carbon Cannondale synapse, which was a pretty good ride.
Got a canyon ultimate, and it rides basically the same in terms of comfort but the handling is a bit more nimble
i can't imagine that an endurace would ride harsher than the ultimate

I'd test ridden an older domane and the weight and handling left it feeling a bit numb

I really don't think it can be the bikes fault, but you gotta get something that you enjoy.
Could it be something as simple as the stock saddle not being a good match for you?

Best of luck