Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 10:56 PM
DasProfezzional
No cud for foil.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jvan12345
The new to me crit race pig put together as a "budget" bike. Wheels included, it came in under $1500. Spare parts around the garage are key! (though I'm getting rid of the FSA crank and the whole compact setup altogether in the off-season - just no need for it in the flatlands...)

You might want to try a shorter stem. It would let you move your seat back some, and shorter stems make steering less squirrely. Plus, you could get a Thomson stem to complement your seatpost.
Old 08-29-07, 02:46 PM
jvan12345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DasProfezzional
You might want to try a shorter stem. It would let you move your seat back some, and shorter stems make steering less squirrely. Plus, you could get a Thomson stem to complement your seatpost.
I would, but I am a bit of a hard fit for a standard-sized bike - long upper body and relatively short legs for a guy my size (6'4"). This is actually a shorter stem (120mm) than what I run on my other bike (130mm). So far it works for me and hasn't been twitchy. The picture was before I rode and adjusted the fit. The seat is now all the way back and the post is actually further down by about an inch. For reference, here's what I look like on the other bike:

The only way I'm going to get a shorter stem is if I go custom, and I don't want to spend the money on that...yet.
Old 08-30-07, 10:30 AM
ninjaman
Roadie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll repost when i put on my new Schwalbe Stelvios
Old 08-30-07, 12:25 PM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there, i got an excuse to stop being lazy. she's a Galen Cycles custom carbon frame from Dedacciai tubing. what do you guys think?
Old 08-30-07, 12:28 PM
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm amazed you found tires that match the paint! I really like the lugs...looks strong as heck.
Old 08-30-07, 12:34 PM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, it feels really solid too. the tires are actually slightly lighter in shade, but have the same basic hue. plus, the stelvios are so smooth-rolling! i think i like them as much as my pro2race! come to think of it, maybe i'll post w/ my other wheelset too, as long as i'm wasting everyone's time.
Old 08-30-07, 12:47 PM
seminole13
Still on a Big Wheel

Bikes: 07 TREK 1500, 2000 Diamondback Response Sport MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful although I'm not crazy about the two-toned handlebar tape. I'd stick to either white OR black.
Old 08-30-07, 12:48 PM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, i kinda agree, i just ordered some new cinelli jelly, i think i might go all clear this time
Old 08-30-07, 01:32 PM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-30-07, 01:46 PM
djbowen1

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keep the tires black on that bike, lose that bar tape, spend more time riding less time messing with colors.

Last edited by djbowen1; 08-30-07 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 05:00 PM
cnickgo
Argyle Army Foot Soldier

Bikes: Fort Gestus, 79 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 81 Raleigh Supercourse, Mosh Lux 2* Gold, IRO Rob Roy on order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djbowen1
keep the tires black on that bike, lose that bar tape, spend more time riding less time messing with colors.
Thats a bit harsh. If they enjoy spending time getting the look they want then let them enjoy it.
Old 08-30-07, 08:07 PM
.:Jimbo:.
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A departure from the funky bike above. Here's my classy Cinelli equipped, Campy powered Ciocc. A columbus SLX tubed 1977 Ciocc San Cristobal to be exact. Built up full 10 speed Campy Chorus with a Selle Italia gel flow Flite atop a Record seatpost, gold Khamsin wheels, shod with Vittoria Rubino pro's, and a Cinelli bar and stem to round out my Italian build. Just took her out yesterday, and Oh boy, it rides so darn nice! She feels solid, yet lacks a sense of heaviness, Fits wonderfully, and looks Awesome!

The overall bike has the perfect blend of modern technology with classically inspired touches. I kinda like the modern hot rod theme behind it, the G3 spoke lacing of the wheels, carbon tid-bits abound, even down to the Cinelli bars further lightened than the original shaving weight in such an inconspicuous place! It's also quite cool riding this Italian steel steed firstly because of the fact she weights in at 19.7 lbs, but secondly she is older than I am!

Last edited by .:Jimbo:.; 08-31-07 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 09:13 PM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so glad you like my bike. Thank you so much for your encouraging words
Old 08-30-07, 09:24 PM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And, to be honest, I'm not entirely in love with the garish paint, but when I bought the frame(from Ramjm_2000, actually), that's how it came. I suppose I could get it repainted to something a bit more my taste, but I'd really rather just ride. And I do.
Old 08-30-07, 09:47 PM
unbelievably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjaman
And, to be honest, I'm not entirely in love with the garish paint, but when I bought the frame(from Ramjm_2000, actually), that's how it came. I suppose I could get it repainted to something a bit more my taste, but I'd really rather just ride. And I do.
I think he was just suggesting that if you were to put black tires and black bar tap on it,
that you could neutralize of perhaps make it not so "in your face".
There is nothing wrong with the paint and it is done out well.
It's just the tires and tape are not complementing your frame.
Old 08-30-07, 10:30 PM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay, but I don't have two-toned bartape. I have the flats wrapped in Cinelli Jelly, not black tape. The only difference between that and the very common practice of wrapping your wing bars only up to the wings is that I get much better and more comfortable grip this way
Old 08-31-07, 12:38 AM
DasProfezzional
No cud for foil.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever, man. But I think it's reasonable that some of us could only nod our heads at that bike up until the addition of the tires-to-match.

And Jimbo: left alone for more than a second, I would take that sweetie up to my palace in the sky and make her my own. I'm really, really glad you went with the alloy crankset. Dare I ask how it rides?
Old 08-31-07, 05:20 AM
djbowen1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unbelievably
I think he was just suggesting that if you were to put black tires and black bar tap on it,
that you could neutralize of perhaps make it not so "in your face".
There is nothing wrong with the paint and it is done out well.
It's just the tires and tape are not complementing your frame.

this is what i meant as well, i do really like that frame, reminds of the BTwin frames. i would love to see one in nude carbon. what does the frameset weight?

also is that chain ok?
Old 08-31-07, 06:50 AM
bklyn74

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10, Moser "Special", RIP- early/mid 90's Zullo "Sprint" (ultegra grouppo, stronglight crankset), 04 Bianchi Pista (stock except for the saddle, front break and pedals)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by .:Jimbo:.
A departure from the funky bike above. Here's my classy Cinelli equipped, Campy powered Ciocc. A columbus SLX tubed 1977 Ciocc San Cristobal . . .
Great looking ride. I'm doing a similar vintage meets modern build w/ a Moser right now. What's that bar tape? Thx.
Old 08-31-07, 08:46 AM
.:Jimbo:.
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on my bike all!

bklyn, the bar tape is the Fizik Microtex stuff. I picked mine up at R&A as that seems to be the only place that has it in white.

Also, as for the ride, while I didn't ride it hard, yet, I can tell this is going to be amongst my favorite bikes. The ride is utterly fantastic, and is only a few notches less than my Scott when it comes to performance. However, the bike is a huge leap ahead in terms of comfort. I'd imagine that is due to not only the frame but the Flite plays quite a role too. Also here in NYC bumps are inevitable, And the Ciocc handles them well, as it feels sound solid, and sounds solid.

Best of all, I built this up for the sake of longevity, and knowing this bike will probably stay with me until until the end of days really makes it that much more to cherish.
Old 08-31-07, 08:58 AM
ninjaman
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is what i meant as well, i do really like that frame, reminds of the BTwin frames. i would love to see one in nude carbon. what does the frameset weight?

also is that chain ok?
Frameset weighs in at just under 1400 grams w/ internally reinforced stress points and Dedacciai carbon tubing. Overall, the ride hovers around 16 lbs. The chain is fine, I just threw the wheel on for the pic a bit too hastily.
Old 08-31-07, 09:31 AM
liverust55
better to burn out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 Lemond etape. Love the bike so far and will try my first metric with it tomorrow morning!
Old 08-31-07, 10:34 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by .:Jimbo:.
A departure from the funky bike above. Here's my classy Cinelli equipped, Campy powered Ciocc. A columbus SLX tubed 1977 Ciocc San Cristobal to be exact. Built up full 10 speed Campy Chorus with a Selle Italia gel flow Flite atop a Record seatpost, gold Khamsin wheels, shod with Vittoria Rubino pro's, and a Cinelli bar and stem to round out my Italian build. Just took her out yesterday, and Oh boy, it rides so darn nice! She feels solid, yet lacks a sense of heaviness, Fits wonderfully, and looks Awesome!

The overall bike has the perfect blend of modern technology with classically inspired touches. I kinda like the modern hot rod theme behind it, the G3 spoke lacing of the wheels, carbon tid-bits abound, even down to the Cinelli bars further lightened than the original shaving weight in such an inconspicuous place! It's also quite cool riding this Italian steel steed firstly because of the fact she weights in at 17.9 lbs, but secondly she is older than I am!

very nice. Always have liked the classic look with some modern type new equipment
sweet looking ride!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-07, 04:51 PM
BobSmalls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What road bike do I have? I hope you can tell me.

I just bought it today for $25. It is said to be 10 years old. All it needed was a tune-up, and WHOA, is it faster than my mountain bike.

All it says is Raleigh, Nottingham, England, and one of the tubes says Record. So is this a womens' 1997 Raleigh Record?

It also advertizes "High Carbon 2030 Tubing", which of course is steel, and probably a nickel steel with .3% carbon.
Old 08-31-07, 05:18 PM
djbowen1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobSmalls
What road bike do I have? I hope you can tell me.

I just bought it today for $25. It is said to be 10 years old. All it needed was a tune-up, and WHOA, is it faster than my mountain bike.

All it says is Raleigh, Nottingham, England, and one of the tubes says Record. So is this a womens' 1997 Raleigh Record?

It also advertizes "High Carbon 2030 Tubing", which of course is steel, and probably a nickel steel with .3% carbon.
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but its a womens bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.