Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

bridge to seaside heights - Toms river NJ

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 09:22 AM
nycwtorres

Bikes: Aluminum Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's on route 37East between toms river and seaside heights.

Has anyone biked over this crossing before is it pedestrian safe? I'm riding from NYC to Atlantic City and would really like to avoid the whole Brick Blvd mess by sticking to the coast.
Old 09-28-08, 05:22 PM
ncherry
Linux HA Author :-)

Bikes: '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little confused. How can you go into Seaside and go to Atlantic City? There are no roads south, out of Seaside.

I've never ridden across the bridge but I have driven across the bridge. You probably can't take the road. The walk isn't very wide. This is on the East bound bridge. I don't know about the west bound bridge.
Old 09-28-08, 05:55 PM
nycwtorres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm heading south. on the map below you will see my current route. Im sticking to the west, but I have learned that the majority of the this route goes past really busy business areas with lots of mini malls and shopping centers which equals pure terror for a biker. I would like to stick to the shore. It will be the second week of October so the beach traffic will be light. But as I go south I need to get off the island down by seaside.

I would imagine that there are bikers in the Toms river area that either do or would like to ride to the beach by seaside, so I'm looking for their input.

I'll be putting in about 115 miles this particular day so if I have to walk my bike for this 1 mile bridge to avoid crazy roads I will. Any input from anyone who knows this crossing would be great.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mapSeaside.jpg (101.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-28-08, 09:13 PM
ncherry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops, sorry I was thinking East bound, your going West bound. BTW, you might want to list the entire route on something like Bikely.com. Most bike rides heading south go through Chatsworth to avoid a lot of traffic. A ride 'down-the-shore' adds a lot of miles.

Back to the bridge, the west bound bridge is a little taller so there is a climb. I don't remember what the walk looks like but it's probably wider than the east bound bridge. Sorry I can't help there.
Old 10-16-08, 09:15 AM
nycwtorres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I made it! It was a great trip you can see the details Here there is a link to map my ride that has my GPS tracks.

I took the bridge going west and I was able to bike over it as there was very little October beach traffic. There are two lanes so cars were nice enough to move over for me. If it were summer I would have just walked across on the narrow sidewalk. The shoreline over there are very nice so it was worth it.
Old 10-16-08, 07:49 PM
ncherry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycwtorres
Ok I made it! It was a great trip you can see the details Here there is a link to map my ride that has my GPS tracks.

I took the bridge going west and I was able to bike over it as there was very little October beach traffic. There are two lanes so cars were nice enough to move over for me. If it were summer I would have just walked across on the narrow sidewalk. The shoreline over there are very nice so it was worth it.
That looks like a great ride (really I love riding down the shore and the Barrens). I wish I could have told you about the ride to the Mullica Bridge (no food, no water, no civilization). We do that section on the Longest Day (208 miles in one day) and I refer to it as the doldrums. In the summer it's a little tougher as it's usually hot and humid. You probably noticed the head wind (there's always a head wind ).