Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable end stuck in STI

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cable end stuck in STI

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 08:18 PM
ncherry
Linux HA Author :-)

Bikes: '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable end stuck in STI

After two years of use the STI shifter cable end snapped inside the STI. This surprised me as my other bikes have lasted much longer and were cared for less. The cable is pretty clean, no jams, worked well before the break. Anyway the shifting cable's end is now stuck inside the STI and I can't figure out how to get it out. I have no tools that can reach in an grab the fray and so far I haven't been able to hook it with a dental pick. The STI is off the bike so I'm just working with the STI. I have no intentions of opening up the STI as I've herd that leads to purchasing an new STI. Any hints other than shaking and fighting with it?
Old 03-05-09, 08:51 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Look up the manufacturer's website and see if they have instructions to do this. Walking in blind to the guts of an STI can lead to a new shifter - is true. Failing that - where'd you buy it? Maybe they can help. Or your LBS in general.

This is why I ditched Shimano shifters and got SRAM.
Old 03-05-09, 10:10 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
get/buy/steal/mug the proper tools?

you should be able to fish it out by winding it into the proper gear, pulling on the head with needle nose tweezers and pushing on the frayed end with another set of needle nose tweezers.

by, proper gear, I mean in one extremity of gear positions, you should be able to see the cable head clearly
Old 03-05-09, 10:20 PM
JustChuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find this easier to do if I mount the lever on an old handlebar clamped in a vice or remove the blade from the body and clamp that in a vice.
Try and work the end out using two dental picks, working back and forth til you can get one behind it and lever it out.
If that does not work then you need to remove as much of the frayed wire as you can. You need some needle nose pliers and a small set of wire cutters. Then you can push the end out with a (very) small pin punch

It is possible to take a working STI apart and put it back together and still have it work. It requires patience and you need pay attention to where all the bits go.
The "can't be dissassembled" myth comes from people taking apart shifters that did not work(they were broken) and when put back together still did not work(they were still broken) this is because there are no replacement parts available.
Old 03-06-09, 12:24 AM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, since I've been recently been struggling with soldering/desoldering something on my laptop, the top thing that comes to my mind would be soldering something to whatever is left in there and try to yank it out. The fumes might be getting to my head though...
Old 03-06-09, 01:12 AM
ncherry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allow me to clarify a few things. The cable broke at the head, only one strand is visible when in what would be gear 9 (of 10). I can only shift 10, 9, 8. (and 8, 9, 10) it won't go any further. I've tried the dental pick (been trying that for the last few hours) and it appears the metal head of the cable further past the the dental picks. It seems it no longer shakes (can't hear it loose).

I do want to thank everyone for the suggestions and I haven't given up. I'm going to get that head out of there. I don't want to ride my backup bike as I can only ride that saddle about 50 miles and I want to do 75 on Saturday. Swapping saddles in not an option as that requires too many adjustments.
Old 03-06-09, 07:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
I have the same problem exactly, the head of the cable is wedged in the bottom of the shifter. If you resolve this, please post your solution. Thanks
Old 03-06-09, 07:55 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can move the shifter all the way to the extreme where it pulls the most cable - biggest cog on the rear. Then pull the lever like you are applying the brakes. You will then be able to see the end of the cable - use a magnet to grab it. Then shift like you are moving to a higher gear so that the carrier moves away from the cable end you have attached to the magnet. You should be able to pull it right out.

I understand that your shifter seems to be jammed and will not move to that position. This might work to un-jam it. My theory is that the dental pick pushed the head out of the carrier and it's now floating free in the shifter. When you try to move the carrier, it hits the head floating loose in the shifter body and jams up. If that is the case, then you want to push the head back into the carrier. So shift to 10. (slackest position). Then try feeding something semi-stiff like the tail end of a brake (stiffer) or shift cable into the shifter from the open end (like you would feed a new cable into the carrier.) With luck, you'll push the head back into the carrier. Use this to hold the head in place as you downshift.

Good luck.

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 03-15-09, 11:41 AM
ncherry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Current standing on this is that I have the new STI on the bike (I put a drop of loctite on the end to hold it this time). It may be a few weeks before I get a chance to take the old STI apart. I'm certain the reason the STI won't return to it's normal position is that the head is rolling around and impeding it's return. More later.