Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone just give up on bike jerseys?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anyone just give up on bike jerseys?

Old 08-22-18, 06:07 PM
Jeremiesmith77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
I have about given up on bike jerseys. I live in the Middle East now and there are no jerseys in my size--not because the men are smaller (because they're not), but because there aren't as many cyclists. I was stateside last week and stopped in Performance Bike and didn't see anything I liked. I also don't want to take a gamble buying bike clothes off Amazon and dealing with the return.

Has anyone just switched to wearing some kind of cotton/poly or fully synthetic hiking shirt or fishing shirt? I rode with one yesterday and it was fairly comfortable with the air flowing through but I think a vented back would be better. The one downside is that there are no rear pockets but I could dig out my fanny pack or get a top tube bag.

Just wondering if you have any recommendations. I'm 6'1" and 250lbs. Have recently gone from an XL to XXL.

Thanks
Paul
i am 6’5 with a long torso and have not found a jersey yet that is long enough...
Old 08-23-18, 05:14 AM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
L.L. Bean Comfort Cycling Jerseys, $40, loose fitting without being too flappy, and indeed very comfortable. While L.L. Bean is great about offering tall sizes in most of their men's clothing, they do not in these jerseys. However, I am 6'4"/275, also with a longer torso, and find these plenty long enough if I am wearing bib shorts, which I pretty much always am. The two other downsides are that they only go to 2XL, which may be too small for some folks here, and they only come in three colors, only one of which is high-viz.

I strongly prefer wearing these in warmer weather to a t-shirt and also strongly prefer them to the two other "club fit" jerseys I have. On a longer ride, I always grab one of these. I don't tend to use the pockets but they are a nice to have for emergency storage as needed.
Old 08-23-18, 08:26 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I found and ordered 2 Primal jerseys from Love2Pedal (have not heard of them before although Amazon sells the same jerseys through them). I did like their sizing charts and additional comments regarding manufacturer size differences. I also have a Columbia fishing shirt with a vented back on the way. We'll see how it goes.
My 2 jerseys and fishing shirt were delivered today.

​​​​​​I'm wearing the fishing shirt now and it is so comfortable. Fits me perfectly. We'll see how it does on a ride. I think I'm going to buy more just as regular shirts. The attention to detail is great. All the buttons say "Columbia" on them and the letters are all oriented to the top.

The two jerseys are about what I expected for fit except one is full zip which wasn't what I expected. They are good in the chest area and a little snug around the belly, but who am I kidding, right? I'm just not going to stick them in the drier for fear of shrinkage. I am happy to have rear pockets again!
Old 08-23-18, 05:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
My Dad always told me "If you don't ask, you don't get.". Well, I'm glad I asked. I guess I haven't completely given up on jerseys, not yet at least.

I found and ordered 2 Primal jerseys from Love2Pedal (have not heard of them before although Amazon sells the same jerseys through them). I did like their sizing charts and additional comments regarding manufacturer size differences. I also have a Columbia fishing shirt with a vented back on the way. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks
Paul
Primal makes the most whimsical jerseys. But I like them because the make some of the famous organizations logos such as armed forces without any of the typical advertising feel. Just their symbol.
Old 08-25-18, 09:22 AM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still wear jerseys, sometimes.... but I'm starting to find that a lightweight wool base layer shirt, or a wicking exercise shirt is pretty nice. But were do I keep all my stuff?!?! Handlebar bag. Now, I'm not racing or mountain biking, but a handlebar bag is pretty darn nice to access during a ride.

See the handlebar bag? There's a ton of stuff in there!
Old 08-25-18, 06:33 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bgraham111
I still wear jerseys, sometimes.... but I'm starting to find that a lightweight wool base layer shirt, or a wicking exercise shirt is pretty nice. But were do I keep all my stuff?!?! Handlebar bag. Now, I'm not racing or mountain biking, but a handlebar bag is pretty darn nice to access during a ride.

See the handlebar bag? There's a ton of stuff in there!
The blessing and the curse of attaching this apparatus.
Old 08-27-18, 01:39 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I rode the Primal Alkaline jersey (Primal Wear Alkaline Cycling Jersey Men's Short Sleeve with DeFeet Socks - LOVE2PEDAL.COM) today and I'm back on the jersey bandwagon. The XXL fit me perfectly and having 3 rear pockets again felt so right. Next to try is the California jersey with the full zip front. This one feels a little snugger and I've never been a fan of full zip (I didn't read the product description closely enough) but the material seems more mesh-like so I'm hoping it breathes better than the Alkaline.