Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Blue Prosecco EX-Gravel Di2 bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Blue Prosecco EX-Gravel Di2 bike

Old 09-08-18, 10:34 AM
brrrrt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tires I ordered are already delivered today: Schwalbe CX comp with K-guard 40mm. and latex innertubes from Challenge.
Old 09-08-18, 10:39 AM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O, and I already have my pedals: Look X-track MTB (spd)
and carbon bottleholders.
Cant wait till monday...hope the UPS-guy arrives early in the morning
Old 09-08-18, 05:19 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Dissapointments

Lets start with the dissapointing things about the non-Di2 bike. Most of these I knew going in.

1. Wheels - The front wheel weighs in at 1633g or about 3.6 pounds. The rear wheel is 1711g or about 3.7 poundsThats a total of 3344g or 7.34lbs for a wheelset. Almost twice what a decent wheelset should weigh. The rims are also poorly made. You can see the seam on the rim. I dont have a truing stand but they do spend true enough on the bike. No detectable wobble. Im assuming the bearings are not ceramic

2. Brakes - They Hayes CX comp are 100% mechanical and work well enough for what they are but the lower end model of this bike has 140mm rotors both front and back.

3. Crankset - My biggest dissapointment was to find a 170mm crankset on this bike. Was sure it would be 172.5 which is what a medium sized (54cm) bike typically come with. It also has 48/36 ringset which I think is a weird sized set for what the bike is.

4. Finishing Kit - Cant really complain about this (nor the wheels) on a 1100.00 Carbon bike with Ultegra components. They had to sacrifice something somewhere to make it worth selling. Seat is okay. Comfy enough just to sit on. You can tell right away it wont last so say the staples holding the cover on. I have zero miles on it so I cant speak to the comfort on a ride. It weighs in at about 275g. Seatpost is on the heavy side at about 272g. 7 degree stem and a shallow set of 42cm (c to c) handlebars finish it off.
Old 09-09-18, 08:50 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I assume (I hope at that weight) you weighed the wheels with the rotors on. You can't compare that to weights of other wheels because no one ever includes the rotors.
Old 09-09-18, 12:19 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
1. They are pinned like most Alexrims are. I presume the weight includes the 750g Nitro 2's, 150g 28C+ tube, and 150g rotor so that brings the wheelset weight to ~2000g which is not that great. You could get a ~1600g gravel disc tubeless wheelset for $500.
2. Yeah the brakes are okay, I swapped mine out for HYRD's.
3. 46/36 is standard CX setup
4. 272g is not bad for a stock 6061 AL seatpost. But you could spend $100 and get a 200g Ritchey WCS

Here's my upgrades:
a. GP4000S II 28C ($72)
b. Hed Carbon Seatpost (220g) ($25)
c. Easton EA90 100mm Stem ($20)
d. TRP Hyrd Flat Mount with 160F/140R ($140)
e. Ultegra RX800 clutch Derailer ($85), B screw is 1/4 the way in. Could probably go to 42T with a longer chain and B screw further in. This RD has weird cable routing - yeah I need to trim the housing.
f. Sunrace 11-36T cassette - $40
g. Giant PSLX-1 27.5 Tubeless Wheelset with 650x48C GK SK front and 650x38C Maxxis Rambler rear ($200)
h. Oval 325 Flared Handlebars - $15

Saving up for some tubeless sealant so I can test out the offroad se

t.
Old 09-10-18, 12:12 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Prosecco has arrived!
Old 09-10-18, 12:13 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-10-18, 12:18 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with a small spot, but the rest is OK
Old 09-10-18, 12:22 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cut this much of the rear derailleur cable
Old 09-10-18, 12:30 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tire clearance front is more then enough, 40 mm Schwalbe CX comp, rear is smaller, 40 mm is the max there

lowered the stem

Look pedals

black bolts

carbon bottlecages Bontrager
Old 09-10-18, 12:42 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

put on a Fizik saddle.
Ready for the first testride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1832369353
Loved how the bike handeled, very stable, but more a cyclocross bike then a real gravelbike.
The wheels are really heavy, and the brakes are not so good, ok for now, but both on the upgrade list.
Total weight like on the photo: 10 kg.

Last edited by brrrrt; 09-10-18 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add a line
Old 09-10-18, 01:42 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
@brrrrt - looks great. How did the scratch on the frame happen? Doesn't look too bad though as it's just the silver of the decal.

I love those pedals! I should have bought those instead of the Shimano ones I ended up buying.
Old 09-10-18, 01:48 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The small scratch was already on the frame. It came out the box with it, think it happened at Merlin cycles in England, luckily the carbon isnt scratched, only the decal.
Old 09-10-18, 06:30 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by brrrrt

put on a Fizik saddle.
Ready for the first testride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1832369353
Loved how the bike handeled, very stable, but more a cyclocross bike then a real gravelbike.
The wheels are really heavy, and the brakes are not so good, ok for now, but both on the upgrade list.
Total weight like on the photo: 10 kg.
This is awesome. I was in the middle of converting my brakes over to HY-RD's this weekend. I got the 160's for the front and rear (Thank you @Elvo for mentioning these nice upgrade for little $) But the rear brake caliper was bad out of the box. It was frustrating as I didn't figure it out until I got everything together and the armature would not return to the closed position. So my bike sits on the bench until I get that new part in.

In the mean time I am waiting for the following to come in this week to upgrade the bike -

1. New 172.5mm Crankset with compact cranks (50/34)
2. New wheels - Vittoria Terreno Dry 33x.
I really wanted to try the Gravel King SK's but no one seems to carry the 35s anymore and I wasn't sure the old 38's or new 40's would fit. Nice to see you fit 40's on this one. Do you have a pic of the rear wheel in the chainstays?
3. Deda Carbon seat post
4. Selle Italia seat
5 New 11x30 Ultegra Cassette
6. SKS Clip on Fenders for the rainy season coming in

I am also looking at upgrading the wheels, stem and handlebars at some point but that probably wont be until the holidays.

I cannot wait to get my first ride on this bike. It's just going to have to wait though. When I do get a ride in, I'll see if I can get it all muddied up for some dirty pics.

-Sean
Old 09-10-18, 11:30 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rear wheel Tire clearance
Old 09-11-18, 12:02 AM
Wilmingtech

Check your headset

Was just out in the shop removing the HY-RD from the rear of the bike and when I took the bike off the stand, I noticed the headset was a little bit loose. At first I thought maybe the front wheel wasnt tightened up but on closer inspection the headset was a little loose. May be a good thing to just go through the whole bike front to back and make sure that everything is greased up and tightened as it should be. Ahh... the joys of mail order bikes.

-Sean
Old 09-11-18, 12:37 AM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Was just out in the shop removing the HY-RD from the rear of the bike and when I took the bike off the stand, I noticed the headset was a little bit loose. At first I thought maybe the front wheel wasnt tightened up but on closer inspection the headset was a little loose. May be a good thing to just go through the whole bike front to back and make sure that everything is greased up and tightened as it should be. Ahh... the joys of mail order bikes.

-Sean
Recognizeable. But I love the feeling when you do the first ride and all is oké, like a pat on the shoulder for yourself...*
Old 09-11-18, 06:30 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech

-Sean
I generally only buy mail order bikes and the first thing I do after a visual inspection is to re-torque every bolt that I can find on the bike.

I've even had to do this on my hybrid that I bought from a bricks and mortar Specialized store.

Additionally, I tend to change all the 'touch points' on the bike (saddle, pedals, and grips usually) and I've had an instance where I struggled to remove the pedals on a store bike that was set up by their 'expert mechanic' for me!
Old 09-11-18, 07:21 AM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Bluebike in his natural habitat...

It does its job outstanding
Old 09-11-18, 07:50 AM
Wilmingtech

Recognizeable. But I love the feeling when you do the first ride and all is oké, like a pat on the shoulder for yourself...*
Originally Posted by taz777
I generally only buy mail order bikes and the first thing I do after a visual inspection is to re-torque every bolt that I can find on the bike.

I've even had to do this on my hybrid that I bought from a bricks and mortar Specialized store.

Additionally, I tend to change all the 'touch points' on the bike (saddle, pedals, and grips usually) and I've had an instance where I struggled to remove the pedals on a store bike that was set up by their 'expert mechanic' for me!
I agree with you guys. I really do enjoy doing the work on my own bike.
It is harder to find a good mechanic when you can do your own work because you know what to look for. Also - the closest bike shop to me is over an hour away and all the shops in this area have at least a 7 day backlist before they can get to your bike.

Touch points are for sure the first thing to get "touched". Speaking of which, I do like the stock bar tape on this bike.

Just waiting for parts. Hopefully get a first ride this coming weekend.

Thanks for posting the pics. Bike looks good. Im curious how well the back tire stays down while climbing gravel hills. We have a steep gravel driveway and on all my other bikes I have to stay seated to keep the back wheel from spinning out and shooting gravel out the back. This frame geometey with the seatpost angle and low seat stays looks like you could possibly stand while climbing a hill and get a little more grip on the back wheel.

-Sean

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 09-11-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-11-18, 10:06 PM
alish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this thread has ended up being about a variety of things about the Blue Prosecco SP / EX carbon frame gravel bike, I thought I'd add some more (in case it isn't here already - I'll admit that I skimmed things pretty quickly). The bottom bracket is not what you might think from the info online (PF30 with adaptors to 24mm). I have the SP model, which comes with the old 105 5-bolt cranks. I scored a good deal on a much better BB30/PF30 crank set, but when I went to switch things out I discovered that the bottom bracket is a TriPeak BB38624. The plastic cups for this bottom bracket fit the 46mm o.d. BB shell like a regular BB30, but it takes 24mm bearings for the Shimano 24mm crankset axle (rather than using 30mm bearings and adaptors). This is probably a much better design than using the inserts to step from a 30mm to a 24mm BB axle, but it meant I had to get a new bottom bracket before I could install my cranks (darn); and also, just to note, the BB shell of the frame is wider than the standard road PF30 / BB30 width, so you need to get the BB386 version.

Hopefully this might help someone who is thinking of switching cranks at some point on the Prosecco.

Looking forward to getting my SPYRE brakes and my new Omni BB in the mail so I can finish putting things together and get out for a ride!

-A
Old 09-11-18, 10:55 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by alish
Since this thread has ended up being about a variety of things about the Blue Prosecco SP / EX carbon frame gravel bike, I thought I'd add some more (in case it isn't here already - I'll admit that I skimmed things pretty quickly). The bottom bracket is not what you might think from the info online (PF30 with adaptors to 24mm). I have the SP model, which comes with the old 105 5-bolt cranks. I scored a good deal on a much better BB30/PF30 crank set, but when I went to switch things out I discovered that the bottom bracket is a TriPeak BB38624. The plastic cups for this bottom bracket fit the 46mm o.d. BB shell like a regular BB30, but it takes 24mm bearings for the Shimano 24mm crankset axle (rather than using 30mm bearings and adaptors). This is probably a much better design than using the inserts to step from a 30mm to a 24mm BB axle, but it meant I had to get a new bottom bracket before I could install my cranks (darn); and also, just to note, the BB shell of the frame is wider than the standard road PF30 / BB30 width, so you need to get the BB386 version.

Hopefully this might help someone who is thinking of switching cranks at some point on the Prosecco.

Looking forward to getting my SPYRE brakes and my new Omni BB in the mail so I can finish putting things together and get out for a ride!

-A
I've got the EX mechanical version with the Ultegra 6800 4 bolt cranks. I ordered a new crankset so I would have 172.5mm cranks on the bike and also to change over to compact 50/34 rings. When I swap it out, Ill take a look at the BB and see what it is on the EX version.

I do like the green color on the SP.

-Sean
Old 09-14-18, 10:38 AM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Imstalled a toptube bag
Old 09-14-18, 11:46 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

Imstalled a toptube bag
Where did you buy that bag?
Old 09-14-18, 12:07 PM
brrrrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Where did you buy that bag?
Amazon.co.uk
Triseven toptube aero bag

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.