Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker Challenge #5

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker Challenge #5

Old 04-07-19, 10:43 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Gravol
My current go to bike is my UO10.
If I were to put it on craigslist, I'd be surprised if someone gave me a hundred bucks for it.
I also have a Grand Touring frame, that's missing it's drive train because I stole the components
for my Grand Julbilee. I could put it back together with parts off my work bench I'd have a bike that I paid
less than a hundred total, for parts.

But if I used either. it would feel like cheating, because if anyone called them clunkers,
I might hit them.
I believe @Narhay has a special Clunker Concours d elegance division for just such an entry I for one love a nice Moto GT as I own a 78 and I would never use the C word to describe it. Pictures please. I had a 1980 UO-10 too.
Old 04-07-19, 10:50 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

@AdventureManCO I hope the Fuji stem issue is resolved to your satisfaction I have always liked a good camel-back top tube.
Old 04-08-19, 08:15 AM
onre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Greetings,

I just figured out that I actually have a perfect candidate for this particular challenge. I bought this thing last autumn for the equivalent of about $80. If anything, it might be a bit too clean and neat for a clunker, but then again, it's not exactly top-of-the-line either. This, combined with LBS's special price, only for you my friend Continental Ride Tours, should be the ticket for doing a hundred by hundred.

I actually took a decent drive-side pic of it, but looks like the forum does not allow me to post a picture or an URL until I've posted ten messages.
Old 04-08-19, 08:26 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 694 Posts
@eeuuugh, I came very very close to buying that exact model Azuki as my first bike-store-purchased 10-speed in 1975, but I wound up instead going with a Dutch Batavus Tour de l'Europe instead.

@ryansu, that is a stunning Trek 520 and I am deeply jealous! That is a lovely bike!

@deux jambes, what size seatpost does that take? It looks a lot to me like a Jeunet 620 except for the integral derailleur ear, sort of like a Liberia or a Stella, too ...

No pix this time, but I have successfully cleaned and repacked the BB and the headset and am grateful for bearings in retainers. A shocking amount of crud came off this bike, but it is interesting to see how little it appears to have actually been ridden. Finally, I will need to find the proper removal tool for the Caimi (later Everest) freewheel, as none of mine fit.
Old 04-08-19, 09:15 AM
ryansu

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
@eeuuugh, I came very very close to buying that exact model Azuki as my first bike-store-purchased 10-speed in 1975, but I wound up instead going with a Dutch Batavus Tour de l'Europe instead.

@ryansu, that is a stunning Trek 520 and I am deeply jealous! That is a lovely bike!

@deux jambes, what size seatpost does that take? It looks a lot to me like a Jeunet 620 except for the integral derailleur ear, sort of like a Liberia or a Stella, too ...

No pix this time, but I have successfully cleaned and repacked the BB and the headset and am grateful for bearings in retainers. A shocking amount of crud came off this bike, but it is interesting to see how little it appears to have actually been ridden. Finally, I will need to find the proper removal tool for the Caimi (later Everest) freewheel, as none of mine fit.
Thanks @rustystrings61 I am pretty excited about the 520 and have already ridden 6 km with more planned for this week I rarely find a deal like this.
Old 04-08-19, 10:17 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by onre
I actually took a decent drive-side pic of it, but looks like the forum does not allow me to post a picture or an URL until I've posted ten messages.
Hurry and introduce yourself!

I have yet to pull the Araya out of storage, but this season's challenge looks off to a great start!
Old 04-08-19, 04:12 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Bon Chance!
Merci beaucoup! I’m going to need it. Looks like in order to keep costs at a minimum, this will have to be an all out build up from the ground up. So far it’s calling for my first ever efforts to build a wheelset. And that’ll be calling for my first ever effort to overhaul hubs! Bit of an undertaking in light of a deadline.

Originally Posted by rustystrings61

Hard to tell exactly. Caliper readings are all over the place, but it seems to be either 26.4 or 26.6 mm. And I don’t currently have a stash of posted in hand to test it with. I’ll have a better idea once I prep it a bit.

I posted it in hopes of identifying it when I bought it, but no certain familiarities rang any definite bells. Like your mention of Jeunet, and other makers this time, you offered some interesting observations then too...

https://www.bikeforums.net/20642142-post5.html
Old 04-08-19, 05:31 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 148 Posts
Greetings,

I just figured out that I actually have a perfect candidate for this particular challenge. I bought this thing last autumn for the equivalent of about $80. If anything, it might be a bit too clean and neat for a clunker, but then again, it's not exactly top-of-the-line either. This, combined with LBS's special price, only for you my friend Continental Ride Tours, should be the ticket for doing a hundred by hundred.

Pic assist:
Old 04-08-19, 06:38 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked 3,486 Times in 1,389 Posts
Cambridge VI update: Got the headset nut loose. Turns out, hammers really work.

The top bearing race nut was the hardest thing to get off. Frozen on with rust. Had to use vise grips and, well, a hammer! Hammer saves the day.

Next up, cutting off the ridiculously long stem so that was I can pull the fork out and work on it away from the bike so I don't goof up the frame pulling out the big hammers. The bike is giving it to me rough, so I'm giving it right back. Fun times!

Total cost to date: $0
Old 04-08-19, 06:41 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Pic assist:

Hmmm! My project bike just told me it felt undeserving to be in the same technical company of your bike. Please, for the sake of mine, take some hammers and sandpaper to that thing!
Old 04-09-19, 08:52 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
wow that's a super nice Peugeot mixte! Forged drops!?
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 04-09-19, 12:05 PM
onre

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Either forged or rather cunningly pressed. I'll take a better look next time I visit the garage. The bike was a bit of a lucky find - the seller told they bought it new, then rode for some years, bought something nicer and put it away in the shed. I found it from the local Craigslist equivalent.

The front hub is a Maillard and came apart today. It was dry, the grease in it had turned into a resinous substance and the cones have seen better days. When putting it back together after cleaning I really couldn't get it to a) not bind in some wheel positions and b) not have slack at the same time. I may give the hub another disassembly and cleaning to see why it binds. It didn't look that bad... but then again, before disassembly it was almost impossible to turn by fingers.

Also the Nokia-branded front tyre was really hard to remove - I had to actually use tire irons to get the bead off the rim. Rear tire is a Michelin, probably original. Both wheels are slightly out of true. I've successfully made a couple of seriously out of true wheels a bit more true before, but dunno really how much I can improve these.

Other specs include Weinmann Vainqueur brakes, Weinmann drillium brake handles and some late-model Positron push-pull cable rear derailleur with a five-speed freewheel.

Pics shall follow...

Last edited by onre; 04-09-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 12:30 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts

The front hub is a Maillard and came apart today. It was dry, the grease in it had turned into a resinous substance and the cones have seen better days. When putting it back together after cleaning I really couldn't get it to a) not bind in some wheel positions and b) not have slack at same time. I may give the hub another disassembly and cleaning to see why it binds. It didn't look that bad... but then again, before disassembly it was almost impossible to turn by fingers.
Sounds like you’ve got a real clunker! Good luck getting the Maillard in good function. I also rebuilt a hub for my project. I had a set of early Shimano which came from the Box O’Crap.

Like your Maillard, the front didn’t like spinning at all. Luckily it’s in good service now.

The rear spins fine, but I can feel the drag of old grease so it’s currently apart for the same treatment.

Lacing them up should prove be interesting as I’ve never tried to build a wheel before.
Old 04-09-19, 04:46 PM
Rocky Gravol

Bikes: Peugeot Course, Motobecane Super Mirage(RIP), Peugeot PKN10e Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
If the Clunker Challenge, forces us to do things,
like rebuilding a wheel, that we've never done before, because the fees from the LBS will push our cost up to high.

Well, that's kind of cool.
Old 04-09-19, 04:51 PM
Rocky Gravol

Bikes: Peugeot Course, Motobecane Super Mirage(RIP), Peugeot PKN10e Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
The rules say that soap, WD40 and grease don't count for cost.

But what if I need to buy a few tools?
So I could do some work myself.

Edit to add.

Never mind. Drunk posting.

"time, tools, cleaning supplies, gas/transit to go get it and grease are free."

Last edited by Rocky Gravol; 04-09-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 10:49 PM
ryansu

Originally Posted by deux jambes

Sounds like you’ve got a real clunker! Good luck getting the Maillard in good function. I also rebuilt a hub for my project. I had a set of early Shimano which came from the Box O’Crap.

Like your Maillard, the front didn’t like spinning at all. Luckily it’s in good service now.

The rear spins fine, but I can feel the drag of old grease so it’s currently apart for the same treatment.

Lacing them up should prove be interesting as I’ve never tried to build a wheel before.
I have never done that (yet) either I have a book on how to I bought probably 5 years ago and plenty of bits to probably do it but haven't done it yet. You might try Sheldon's site on wheel building as a start and there is probably stuff on You Tube. Good Luck!!
Old 04-10-19, 06:23 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
It's really not so bad - but what's fun is to do it Clunker Style (wait - shouldn't there be some cheesy dance to go with that?). My contender for that, which I no longer own, was a used 32h high-flange Formula fixed/free hub scored on eBay for $20 that I laced to a scavenged 32h Campagnolo tubular rim with spokes rescued from a 36h Specialized hub/Mavic MA40 wheelset I was given because the flanges had failed and multiple spokes were flopping around free.
Old 04-10-19, 09:59 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
I'm excited to see this. Last year was my first challenge, and it was a little too easy. I haven't decided yet for sure if I'm going to do one this year. I'm in the market for a 2nd bike at the moment, and that may dovetail nicely into the challenge.

IF I DO the 2019 challenge, here's a couple contenders I've found so far, may get to go check them out this weekend. $45 asking price for the Conti, $35 for the Mizutani (which has been for sale since at least last fall).

Edit: home budget officer has approved $50 toward clunker acquisition.
Somewhat sadly, both these bikes sold quickly. I was surprised the Mizutani sold, seller had it posted since last fall.

This Voyageur popped up on the radar this morning, seller asking $45. I'm not a religious man, but please send all prayers and karma bubbles and whatever that (a) the post is real and (b) I can get there before someone else does! This would make one heck of a clunker.

Old 04-10-19, 11:26 AM
onre

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
There's a certain cultural difference thing going on here. The average sub-$50 bicycle in Finland would never have a lugged frame, instead it would be a heavy domestic Dutch-style thing from the bygone days - or a '70s five-speed with a Fauber bottom bracket.

I'd say a large part of the fun in this challenge comes from having to do stuff one hasn't done before. Looks like I get to actually adjust and use a Positron system instead of just replacing it with something normal.
Old 04-10-19, 01:37 PM
ryansu

Somewhat sadly, both these bikes sold quickly. I was surprised the Mizutani sold, seller had it posted since last fall.

This Voyageur popped up on the radar this morning, seller asking $45. I'm not a religious man, but please send all prayers and karma bubbles and whatever that (a) the post is real and (b) I can get there before someone else does! This would make one heck of a clunker.

You MUST get that Voyageur !!
Old 04-10-19, 05:11 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I am still looking for a bike for the challenge. I looked a 3 that will work nothing high end and they are rough the owner was not home so I couldn't make a deal. They were a Fuji Absolute, Motobecane Mixte and Specialized Hard rock.
Old 04-10-19, 05:40 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Schwinn Voyageur - Day 0 - $45 - 0k (0 miles)

My official entry in the clunker challenge: 1983 Schwinn Voyageur. $45 delivered to my house and the guy wouldn’t take any gas money.
Said it was hanging in his neighbor’s garage for years and the neighbor was going to trash it so seller took it off his hands but is not in physical condition to ride a drop bar bike.
I’m not sure what my game plan is yet, I was not expecting to get this bike. Been lusting after one of these for several years.

I’m gonna start a separate thread on this one I think.

Last edited by Phamilton; 04-11-19 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added title
Old 04-10-19, 05:51 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

My official entry in the clunker challenge: 1983 Schwinn Voyageur. $45 delivered to my house and the guy wouldn’t take any gas money.
Said it was hanging in his neighbor’s garage for years and the neighbor was going to trash it so seller took it off his hands but is not in physical condition to ride a drop bar bike.
I’m not sure what my game plan is yet, I was not expecting to get this bike. Been lusting after one of these for several years.

I’m gonna start a separate thread on this one I think.

FANTASTIC deal, and the bike is clean, to boot.

We need some different categories of winners...paging @Narhay

1. Best deal found
2. Klunkiest bike
3. Cheapest cheapskate (without just getting a bike for free)
4. Thrifiest (reusing old crap)
5. Burliest (heaviest bike award?)
6. Survivor (riding bike as found?)

And I've got another category suggestion...
Old 04-10-19, 06:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Is it just me or is this the coolest Tange sticker ever, MOTOCROSS?

Old 04-10-19, 06:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
@AdventureManCO, I flipped a Cambridge like that. It was a pleasant and handsome bike, but the brakes were horrible, for some reason.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.