Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike build for friend...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 12:22 AM
Ammoyankee

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Bike build for friend...

I have a friend at work who expressed interest in starting to ride for his health. He asked if I could assemble him a beach cruiser style bike. My friend is about 5’9” and 425lbs. I am thinking of good solid double wall rims like Rhyno-Lite XL’s and he doesn’t want a coaster brake so Sturmey Archer drums front and rear. Would this rim be strong enough for him built with quality 14g spokes? I am open to any other suggestions!
Old 05-12-19, 10:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Ammoyankee
I have a friend at work who expressed interest in starting to ride for his health. He asked if I could assemble him a beach cruiser style bike. My friend is about 5’9” and 425lbs. I am thinking of good solid double wall rims like Rhyno-Lite XL’s and he doesn’t want a coaster brake so Sturmey Archer drums front and rear. Would this rim be strong enough for him built with quality 14g spokes? I am open to any other suggestions!
Since this is a single speed, spoke problems are less of an issue than for multi-geared bikes. Rhino-Lite will be just fine but so would just about any rim of good quality.

However, any wheel problems that will develop given the weights involved will be spoke problems, not rim problems. Concentrate on the proper part of the problem which are going to be the spokes. Build the wheels with DT Alpine III or Sapim Force or Wheelsmith DH13 or Pillar PSR. All of them have thicker, stronger heads which will stand up far better to the demands placed on these wheels for longer than a 14 straight gauge spoke will.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-12-19, 11:43 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
The Sapim "Strong" is a single-butted 13/14 gauge and is recommended for heavy loads. I just built a wheel with them and they were a breeze to work with and fill the spoke holes in the hub nicely.
Jon
Old 05-12-19, 03:20 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
The Rhynos are bombproof rims. At 425 lbs, this is a perfect scenario for cyccommute’s recommendation for triple butted spokes. Seek out the talent of a quality wheelsmith and you’ll have little to worry about.

-Kedosto