Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Be glad you're not me!

Old 07-13-19, 08:53 PM
einstruzende

Bikes: Time ZXRS, Dura Ace, Zipp 808.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Be glad you're not me!

April 7, 2008, I weighed 284.6 pounds, and couldn't keep up with the slowest group in our cycling club. I decided that day after getting dropped like 3 miles in that I would either get in shape or die trying. Made two dietary changes, and rode my bike as much and as hard as I could. One year later, I weighed 176 pounds (just shy of 110 pounds lost) and was leading the A group, and even managed a 61 minute 40k TT.

Quit cycling in 2010 to concentrate on running, ran some nice races from 2010-2012, but then went through a divorce and injury at same time, and before you know it, it's 2019 and I weigh 277.4 at my last physical.

Now I have to lose 100+ pounds again, and I'm 45 not 34 like the last time. Just a bit of griping, I know I can do it.

Last edited by einstruzende; 07-13-19 at 08:56 PM.
Likes For einstruzende:
Old 07-13-19, 10:32 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Moral of the story; don’t take up running because it will lead to divorce, injury, and weight gain. Thanks for the warning.

-Kedosto
Old 07-14-19, 12:21 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Einstruzende I'm on my second time around weight loss cycle.. Years ago I lost 30lbs or so to get down to 220lbs and kept it there for a few years. I retired and the eating got ahead of the exercise program and I ballooned up to 282lbs. This time my blood pressure became uncontrolled with my medications. I have lost almost 30lbs and my blood pressure is controlled but I now realize I've been fat most of my life. I say this because I have not always felt this way about my weight. I ran in two adult men's basketball leagues here locally until my mid 40's and considered myself fit. Again looking back I think I was carrying 20 to 30 lbs too much. I started taking blood pressure medicine in my mid 40's and still take it at 66 yrs of age. My goal is to lose weight until I can get rid of the medicine. Sometimes that is not possible but I can't know that until I try. I now believe that my end weight will be somewhere around 200lbs. I'm going to use the healthy BMI numbers and fatty liver tests to guide me. Being injured and losing a marriage can be quite depressing. Seeking counseling can help you cope with life's misery sometimes. I use Myfitnesspal food diary and find it works very well. Good luck with your diet and keep us informed on how you are doing.
Old 07-14-19, 12:35 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Moral of the story; don’t take up running because it will lead to divorce, injury, and weight gain. Thanks for the warning.

-Kedosto
So does restoring bicycles, ham radio and half of the other stuff guys do.
Old 07-14-19, 10:28 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You can do it.
Old 07-14-19, 11:35 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
The key is not to take yr long breaks at anything in life. The road will be hard but you can do it
Old 07-14-19, 11:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
You've done the weight loss before... and you can do it again, hopefully keeping it off in the future.

45 isn't over the hill yet. You may have to work harder to maintain the muscle, but I'm now in my low 50's, and think I'm as strong as I was in my mid 30's, so not all is lost.

Good luck, and keep at it.
Old 07-14-19, 12:01 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Hang in there.
Old 07-14-19, 12:24 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

-Kedosto
Hahahaha
Old 07-14-19, 03:17 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The divorce just means you have more time to ride.
Old 07-14-19, 03:31 PM
daleb116

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do it.
Old 07-14-19, 03:39 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by einstruzende
Now I have to lose 100+ pounds again, and I'm 45 not 34 like the last time. Just a bit of griping, I know I can do it.
December 2013 - now, lost over 50 lbs to vegetarianism and a bike, some casual other rides but mostly just doing 10 miles a day...in my 50s. You WILL succeed, friend
Old 07-16-19, 09:17 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
60 years old and April 1st 340 lbs diagnosed w/prediabetes. Yesterday I was 303 and they cut one of my BP meds in half. Blood sugar is managed at this point sans medication. More to come on that front. And I haven't aired up the Bridgstone T700 yet. It's doable so step up and get to work.
Likes For XR2:
Old 07-16-19, 09:22 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I know I can do it.
Don't say "Be glad you're not me". I would be honored to be like someone with such a positive attitude. Sometimes we don't know what life will throw at us, but we are in charge of how we cope, and I love your can-do attitude.
Old 07-16-19, 04:12 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Similar story here - won't bore you with it. Weight loss was easy in the 30's and not too hard in the 40's is getting harder and harder in the 50's... Did the Keto diet 18 months ago and lost a bunch of weight but it came right back when I stopped... Now trying to lose it "honestly" through riding hard and eating reasonably. So far about 10 lbs has come off and I'm down to 230... We'll both do it, it'll just take longer and more effort than we remember and than we'd like
Likes For ronin4740:
Old 07-17-19, 05:44 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
You did it once, you can do it again. Decide, declare and execute
Old 07-20-19, 06:55 PM
einstruzende

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

-Kedosto
Well there is some truth to all of that in my case! That said, running in many ways is more enjoyable for me, but cycling has appeal too.
Old 07-20-19, 06:58 PM
einstruzende

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Similar story here - won't bore you with it. Weight loss was easy in the 30's and not too hard in the 40's is getting harder and harder in the 50's... Did the Keto diet 18 months ago and lost a bunch of weight but it came right back when I stopped... Now trying to lose it "honestly" through riding hard and eating reasonably. So far about 10 lbs has come off and I'm down to 230... We'll both do it, it'll just take longer and more effort than we remember and than we'd like
I have some low hanging fruit in my diet, namely way too much bourbon and high carb dinners like pizza. I don't want to go "keto" but I will go lower carb, cutting out all high carb meals and sadly, the bourbon. My liver levels in my last physical dictate that I take action now or risk issues later in life.

My biggest issue right now on bike is how uncomfortable it is to sit on. I have my saddle issues and position worked out ok, but the pressure on my hands and arms is still pretty high and I can't do much more than an hour without hating my life. The problem is I have a "performance bike" and the fitness of a ... non-performant person!
Old 07-21-19, 07:34 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Diet tools

I have found that a really nice balance beam scale is so important on weight loss verification. I weigh a couple times a week at the same time in the morning. I use myfitnesspal to keep track of calories and nutrients. Your bourbon comes up on myfitnesspal so you can keep up with all your caloric intake. I'm glad to hear that you are reconsidering your decision to drink alcohol. I have found that our devious little brains will very quickly either get you started drinking again or fall into some other addictive trap. By that I mean everything from fast food to heroin can be an addictive trap. It took several years to break the alcohol addiction for me and I've not had any for over 30 yrs now. Good luck. I can't say why I allowed myself to keep eating until I was a blimp but I did. Changing this permission for overeating is as hard as quitting addictive behavior. The hard part is you don't get to quit eating altogether, you must moderate and keep a sensible outlook about what you are eating. So possibly diet/nutritional education and self realization about the consequences of what you are feeding your body is the best anecdote to overeating and destructive addictive behaviors. I hit 254lbs a couple of weeks ago and my blood pressure finally tested in the safe range. I'm keeping a tight control on calorie intake every day so as to continue losing weight. Having done this cycle once before I now realize I won't be able to stop using a calorie diary for the rest of my life, otherwise my devious little brain will figure some way to fatten me up again.
Old 07-22-19, 11:33 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I found the best exercise ever- hiking up mountains in Colorado. So I did that and lost a bunch of weight. Then moved to the flatlands due to job situations. And gained it all back. And a few years later, lost it all again cycling. Then gained a lot of it back. Then lost it again with cycling AND Weightwatchers. Anyway, don't give up, hang in there and take care of things. If you're like me, you'll be fighting weight the rest of your life, so it's not like you "fix it" and don't have to worry anymore.
Old 07-22-19, 11:52 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I have some low hanging fruit in my diet, namely way too much bourbon and high carb dinners like pizza. I don't want to go "keto" but I will go lower carb, cutting out all high carb meals and sadly, the bourbon. My liver levels in my last physical dictate that I take action now or risk issues later in life.

My biggest issue right now on bike is how uncomfortable it is to sit on. I have my saddle issues and position worked out ok, but the pressure on my hands and arms is still pretty high and I can't do much more than an hour without hating my life. The problem is I have a "performance bike" and the fitness of a ... non-performant person!
Change the stem to something with a higher rise an maybe shorter for a more upright position... I swapped the 8 degree 100mm stem for a 20 degree 80mm stem and it really helped...
Old 07-22-19, 06:00 PM
einstruzende

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I have found that a really nice balance beam scale is so important on weight loss verification. I weigh a couple times a week at the same time in the morning. I use myfitnesspal to keep track of calories and nutrients. Your bourbon comes up on myfitnesspal so you can keep up with all your caloric intake. I'm glad to hear that you are reconsidering your decision to drink alcohol. I have found that our devious little brains will very quickly either get you started drinking again or fall into some other addictive trap. By that I mean everything from fast food to heroin can be an addictive trap. It took several years to break the alcohol addiction for me and I've not had any for over 30 yrs now. Good luck. I can't say why I allowed myself to keep eating until I was a blimp but I did. Changing this permission for overeating is as hard as quitting addictive behavior. The hard part is you don't get to quit eating altogether, you must moderate and keep a sensible outlook about what you are eating. So possibly diet/nutritional education and self realization about the consequences of what you are feeding your body is the best anecdote to overeating and destructive addictive behaviors. I hit 254lbs a couple of weeks ago and my blood pressure finally tested in the safe range. I'm keeping a tight control on calorie intake every day so as to continue losing weight. Having done this cycle once before I now realize I won't be able to stop using a calorie diary for the rest of my life, otherwise my devious little brain will figure some way to fatten me up again.
Over 2008/2009, I weighed myself every single day. Once I got rolling it was a great way to keep me in check. Bouron is proving to be a problem. I didn't start drinking alcohol until I was 40, back in 2014. It was only three or four times a month at first, but eventually got out of hand. This year alone (as in last 12 months) I went through at least 75 bottles of bourbon, and on top of the health issue, I don't drink rot-gut bourbon! Went through 8 bottles of Blantons, 20 bottles of Eagle Rare, 20 bottles of Buffalo Trace and numerous others. I would estimate $6,000 worth of bourbon in the last 12 months. I would have drank 100% Eagle Rare if it wasn't so damn hard to find. Had to go to New Orleans and buy a bunch.

All that said, I have been liquor free since July 10. Cold turkey thank you very much.
Likes For einstruzende:
Old 07-22-19, 06:03 PM
einstruzende

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Change the stem to something with a higher rise an maybe shorter for a more upright position... I swapped the 8 degree 100mm stem for a 20 degree 80mm stem and it really helped...
In my case I have to admit that vanity plays a big part. How can I put a steep stem on this? Of course I know for the sake of comfort I must do so! Funny how the mind finds any excuse to avoid responsibility in this case.

Old 07-22-19, 07:48 PM
tallbikeman

This picture show one of the driving forces in my bicycling. Running the dog. This picture was taken from a levee at the Port of Sacramento. The bike is a 1980 Schwinn Sports Tourer with VO high flange hubs. 27"x1 1/4" wheels with 36 flattened(aero) spokes per wheel. It has a Shimano Deore MTB rear derailer running a 10 speed cassette. The handlebars are now much lower and I'm running a noseless seat for protection of the private parts. This is my fastest average speed bike at the moment. I can't afford too much vanity so my bikes are old steel frame survivors from the past.
Old 07-22-19, 08:01 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I decided while in a cabin in the forest during a snowstorm on my 60th birthday I wanna see 80 years old in as good a shape as I can be in w/o extreme behavior. So cycling and hiking along with eating decent should do the trick. Doc said today continue whatever it is I'm doing it's working.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.