Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Hudson River Greenway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18, 01:43 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/09/...ing-next-week/
Old 11-21-18, 11:23 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm hearing this is back open if it's a concern to anybody.
Old 11-23-18, 03:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Maybe I'll check it out on Sunday, it is supposed to be back into the 50s and partly sunny.
Old 11-24-18, 08:25 AM
dendawg

Originally Posted by zacster
Maybe I'll check it out on Sunday, it is supposed to be back into the 50s and partly sunny.
The DOT announced it's re-opening on 11/8. I haven't been up there yet and was also thinking about Sunday. I'm more concerned about the condition of the path above 181st as in the fall it is usually covered in leaves that hide all the hazards
Old 11-25-18, 08:59 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Was nice Sunday I got 18 miles in on the SCT
Old 11-25-18, 09:42 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I've been meaning to post an image of the reopened bridge for a couple of weeks now for those interested. Sorry it took so long to get to it.
Old 11-26-18, 10:04 AM
dendawg

Originally Posted by punkinevil

I've been meaning to post an image of the reopened bridge for a couple of weeks now for those interested. Sorry it took so long to get to it.
Looks like they've narrowed the path over the bridge. Hope that is just temporary.
Old 11-26-18, 10:23 AM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Looks like they've narrowed the path over the bridge. Hope that is just temporary.
Well, it certainly does seem "temporary" but we all know that could mean it's in place for 20 years. Practically speaking, it isn't narrower. The old bridge had so many drop out spots and blocked off areas with traffic cones that there was only a single narrow navigable path for a cyclist. Functionally, the new deck gives enough space for multiple cyclists to cross safely at once. It's not perfect, but I don't feel like I may die every time I cross now.
Old 07-13-19, 10:06 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Had not ridden there for a long time.... This evening I rode on the Hudson Greenway from around 70th st. to Battery Park City, and found the part between 70th and 59th have been paved very smooth . On my way back, that part was pitch dark, so dark that I passed where I was supposed to get off the road. Turned out there was a power outage on the West Side Manhattan this evening caused by a transformer fire. So glad I had many bike lights (front, rear, wheel).
Old 07-13-19, 10:10 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Incidentally, the Community Board that created the detour around the Boat Basin is having a meeting this Monday to discuss it:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/manhattanc...e-agendas.page

Parks & Environment Committee, Ken Coughlin and Jennifer Markas, Co-Chairpersons
Monday, July 15, 7:00PM
1. Update on and discussion of the new mandatory route for cyclists in Riverside Park, including safety concerns. Joint with Transportation Committee.

I don't know if this has any provision for public comment. But if you have, er, strong feelings about it...
Old 07-14-19, 05:37 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That new detour sucks, you went from flat to climbing a steep hill to meet traffic (couple plastic cones won't stop a car) that's suppose to be safer?
Old 07-16-19, 08:54 PM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I went. There were more concerned cyclists there than satisfied pedestrians, and the obvious concerns were all expressed. There were a few board members who agreed that this solution was worse than the initial problem, but a motion to roll back the change was defeated. At least they are going to address switching it back for the winter season at the next meeting (September). It seems that we cyclists should have been involved with these meetings much earlier on, but I certainly didn't know about it since I don't live in CB7.

I did get to call the rerouting ill-conceived and poorly executed and said all this did was move the problem 20 yards away into a much more dangerous area.

Originally Posted by UniChris
Incidentally, the Community Board that created the detour around the Boat Basin is having a meeting this Monday to discuss it:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/manhattanc...e-agendas.page

I don't know if this has any provision for public comment. But if you have, er, strong feelings about it...
Likes For punkinevil:
Old 07-18-19, 03:35 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
It seems that we cyclists should have been involved with these meetings much earlier on, but I certainly didn't know about it since I don't live in CB7.
Actually, we were. (NB: I'm not chiding either you or other folks on this list.)

Checking my notes from the 11 Jan 2016 scoping meeting, there were a bunch of folks present who ride bicycles in Riverside Park. At that meeting, we weren't a majority, but I wasn't there by myself. (I've had that experience too.)

Margaret Bracken (DPR's landscape architect) was explicit about her frustration that people riding bicycles couldn't be completely prohibited from Riverside Park. City Council Member Helen Rosenthal wasn't at the 11 Jan 2016 meeting, but her representative who was there was also explicit: CM Rosenthal's agenda is to get people on bicycles off the water level path; no compromises; no negotiations.
Likes For arbee:
Old 07-18-19, 03:47 PM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
Actually, we were. (NB: I'm not chiding either you or other folks on this list.)
Thanks for that. I'm just responding to what someone on the board said about how this meeting had more cyclists which was the opposite of previous. There were a number of council members who did seem to want the bikes out entirely, but several who said they also ride their bikes there.

My point was mainly that if I had been more aware of the CB7 agenda leading up to this, I would have made statements at meetings before the rerouting was implemented. It's hard to keep abreast of all the various community board plans across the city. It's hard for me to keep track of my own. I missed last night's meeting about the East River Park fiasco and that was is my own district.

I'm grateful that this meeting was mentioned on here so I could go. I'm really glad that we have this board and ones like it so we know where to make our voices heard. There are a lot of people in this city who would love to ban cycling altogether so it's important that we are present to counter that.
Old 07-20-19, 04:33 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I did get to call the rerouting ill-conceived and poorly executed and said all this did was move the problem 20 yards away into a much more dangerous area.
Thanks for going. I had the excuse of being in another state prepping for a ride the next day, but as much as that the detour was feeling like a sort of the last straw spoiling any remaining interest in that crowded, stop-lighted and contested path overall.

But just rode it again southbound in the heat and finally got up to the circle... building up speed on the previous hill was key, I hadn't really bothered in the past because I can't really fixie down hills that fast on a unicycle anyway, but what speed I could carry got me 2/3 of the way up before I had to start mashing, and that made the difference. Between getting over the hill and the heat having chased almost everyone else away it was actually a somewhat enjoyable ride again.

But I still think it's unsafe. Others will carry momentum over those hills a lot faster than the 12 or 13 mph I hit the critical trough at, and people are indeed walking, dog leashing, stopping to wait for friends, etc all over them. On my subsequent slow descent from the circle I cautioned a guy who'd stopped to tie his shoe in a spot that would have been invisible to someone bombing over it faster.