Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What's your dream build?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What's your dream build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 04:35 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
This one.

Last edited by sumgy; 07-22-18 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 06:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Put some Campanogolos Super Records on it with some eeBrakes "El Diablo" edition and some matching anodizing work on the frame and Elite Link housing with red links and that would be a total dream bike. The bike as it sits is really really nice but you gotta dream bigger!
Old 07-25-18, 06:57 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Put some Campanogolos Super Records on it with some eeBrakes "El Diablo" edition and some matching anodizing work on the frame and Elite Link housing with red links and that would be a total dream bike. The bike as it sits is really really nice but you gotta dream bigger!

Old pic, it now has blue Hope hubs and I have taken off the pink CK headset.
You can dream your dream and I will dream mine
Old 07-25-18, 07:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by sumgy
Old pic, it now has blue Hope hubs and I have taken off the pink CK headset.
You can dream your dream and I will dream mine
Sure but dream bigger. I mean my Foundry Chillkoot like your bike is super excellent and a favorite but a dream bike has to be even over that top because it is a dream. If you dream about what you have or can afford relatively easily you need to really up your imagination and go for the gold plated diamonds : P

I liked the Pink CK headset for the record! Hope is cool though, people say they are the british Paul Comp.
Old 07-25-18, 07:15 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sure but dream bigger. I mean my Foundry Chillkoot like your bike is super excellent and a favorite but a dream bike has to be even over that top because it is a dream. If you dream about what you have or can afford relatively easily you need to really up your imagination and go for the gold plated diamonds : P

I liked the Pink CK headset for the record! Hope is cool though, people say they are the british Paul Comp.
As I said, dream your own dream.
It is a Moots running a combination of Record and Super Record. Dream bike done.
Some people have to add all sorts of other crap to make their bikes "dream bikes".
A Moots with Campagnolo Record does not need that.
Old 07-25-18, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by sumgy
As I said, dream your own dream.
It is a Moots running a combination of Record and Super Record. Dream bike done.
Some people have to add all sorts of other crap to make their bikes "dream bikes".
A Moots with Campagnolo Record does not need that.
Super Record is not "crap" it is the dreamiest of the Campanoglos. Record is good but Super Record is Super good ; P

When I dream bikes they are all way out of the budget, crazy stuff that is just pure bling and performance wrapped up into one.
Old 07-25-18, 08:12 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Sorry, no other pictures. Keeping the calipers with the "cockpits is simply easier. Front requires no setup at all Just tighten one nut. The rear I do have to detach because I run old-school full length housing through top tube guides as was common in the '80s. Also I use very different brake levers and therefore want calipers of different power. The climbing setup has V-brake levers and dual-pivot calipers. I really DO NOT WANT too much power! If I come into a turn very fast on a mountain descent, I need to bleed a lot of speed off very quickly or I will hit pedal. The road setup has much more powerful regual road levers and with dual pivots, that would be to much power (for any bike in my view, but especially a fix gear. Sidepull have less power so are a better fit for the job.

Best part really is that I can change cockpits in less than 5 minutes so I can do it right before I ride. And by keeping the front brake setup intact, it means there are only two things that require aligning and neither is at all critical so I can jump on the bike with no quality check of the cockpit swap and know I am safe. (It won't take very long to notice I didn't line up the stem correctly but that never caused anybody an injury to anything more than perhaps an ego. Rear brake cable adjust on a fix gear isn't much more critical and that is easy to get right while riding.

Ben
Thank you, this is a great explanation.