Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Advice sought on bike for 309 lbs starting commuting

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Advice sought on bike for 309 lbs starting commuting

Old 08-12-18, 06:53 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
As I am fat and have both a Kona and a Cannondale, I feel like I can add something.

What kind of Kona did you have?
Old 08-12-18, 07:03 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What kind of Kona did you have?
2008 ish Kona Jake with commuter tires. Its a great bike but pushing it much past 12 MPH for more than a few miles seems like work to me. Even when I was in good shape its average would end up being about 10.5 MPH for anything over 10 miles. My guess is a combination of the gearing and the overall not aerodynamic nature of the bike really limits it for speed. For urban cycling where your going to be forced into potholes and otherwise banged around its great though.
Old 08-12-18, 07:25 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
2008 ish Kona Jake with commuter tires. Its a great bike but pushing it much past 12 MPH for more than a few miles seems like work to me. Even when I was in good shape its average would end up being about 10.5 MPH for anything over 10 miles. My guess is a combination of the gearing and the overall not aerodynamic nature of the bike really limits it for speed. For urban cycling where your going to be forced into potholes and otherwise banged around its great though.

One of the things that interest me the most on this forum is how big a speed difference exists on different bikes(with the same rider) and how much of that difference can be attributed to various factors like :

• bike weight
  • wheel weight
  • tyre compound
  • aero considerations(both frame and tyres)
  • bb area stiffness
  • geometry
  • anything else I haven't thought of, or thought to mention
And I am surprised at times how many people would insist that the sort of speed improvement you saw from one bike to the other, isn't likely or even possible.

Obviously the most important aspect of speed is the motor(i.e. rider), but the part all of the other components play is very interesting to me and I am always surprised when people seem reluctant to want to explore this further.

So thank you for your posts.
Old 08-12-18, 07:34 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
One of the things that interest me the most on this forum is how big a speed difference exists on different bikes(with the same rider) and how much of that difference can be attributed to various factors like :
  • bike weight
  • wheel weight
  • tyre compound
  • aero considerations(both frame and tyres)
  • bb area stiffness
  • geometry
  • anything else I haven't thought of, or thought to mention
And I am surprised at times how many people would insist that the sort of speed improvement you saw from one bike to the other, isn't likely or even possible.

Obviously the most important aspect of speed is the motor(i.e. rider), but the part all of the other components play is very interesting to me and I am always surprised when people seem reluctant to want to explore this further.

So thank you for your posts.
IIRC one ride that I did a lot (about 12 miles) in Portland I would average 10.2 on the Kina and 17.8 on the Cannondale for an apples to apples comparison.