Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How would you spend 600 eur in a new fixie for a flat 22 mile daily commute?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 08:11 PM
horaciolyon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need an upgrade for my fixie and want to spend no more than 600 EUR on a bike. What would you get?
I live in Belgium and I ride a 22mile daily commute on very flat bike paths. Thanks
Old 08-22-18, 01:35 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by horaciolyon
I need an upgrade for my fixie and want to spend no more than 600 EUR on a bike. What would you get?
I live in Belgium and I ride a 22mile daily commute on very flat bike paths. Thanks
Do you mean "upgrade (improve) the bike you have now" or "upgrade your bike by buying a new one"?

If the first, tyres, wheels, pedals are the things I'd focus on.

If the second — looking for a new bike to replace the one you have — then I always think that someone who has to ask what he wants doesn't really want it yet. I wouldn't spend 600 Euros on a whim. I'd develop a desire for something, then check it, shop around, and buy it.
Old 08-23-18, 12:14 PM
I_am_X
Commuting and Pleasure

Bikes: Nishiki Automatix, Soil Titan SS, Specialized Rock Hopper SS, On-One Inbred

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a race bike from the 90s, removed some parts and purchased got a custom build wheel-set (with a SRAM Automatix), new bottom bracket, chain, cog, flat bar, brake leavers, and some small parts. Overall spend 300 Euro for the used bike and roughly another 300 Euro for the new parts. Quite happy with the result. I had an initial idea of what I want, the frame size I need, the color I like and the setup I want. Took me a while to find the suitable base.

Using the bike in the North of Germany, very flat.

At work in Sweden (relatively flat) I use a stock Fixie Inc. with some upgrades, costs around 500 Euro. Not so much damage if it gets stolen, can be quickly replaced.

Last edited by I_am_X; 08-23-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 11:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Unless I had a secure, indoor place to lock my bike at work, I probably wouldn't be looking at spending €600 on a commuter bike. Instead, I'd find a decent used bike that won't attract any malign eyes and spend the savings on a good bike for recreational riding.
Old 08-27-18, 11:58 AM
I_am_X
Commuting and Pleasure

Bikes: Nishiki Automatix, Soil Titan SS, Specialized Rock Hopper SS, On-One Inbred

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
In Germany for example the standard "household contents insurance" covers theft of bike locked during daytime up to a percentage of the insured value. As long as it is a stock bike or at least build of stock parts it is easy to be replaced in that case. No need for two bikes then.