Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

My new beater

Old 08-30-18, 03:47 PM
depshop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
My new beater

Found this guy thrown out on the curb on trash day. I posted it in the classic/vintage board and I was originally going to strip it down and repaint and put some money into it, but I've got another project I'd rather spend the money on.

I stripped her down to the frame and fork and decided it could be my new beater single speed.

I had some random stuff I parted from a bike a year or so ago, like this Nervar crank set (42t). After some light sanding and polishing this is what I got.

Had a pair of Rigada rims with a 16t freewheel on the rear laying around, so this is what I've got so far. I need to grab a tube for the rear, sand down a pretty beat up seat post I have and throw a chain on.

The bars are temporary, I'll probably throw a rear brake on and eventually swap the pedals. I've probably spent 5-10 hrs on this thing but no money other than the tube I'm about to go buy. Should be a fun ride!
Old 08-30-18, 04:09 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Pretty cool for a free bike. But see if you can find a shorter handlebar. Also, you're sticking with a freewheel? And will probably throw on a brake? That's probably a good call.
Old 08-30-18, 04:17 PM
depshop

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Ahahaha, the bars are temporary as I said they'll be replaced. I've got a pair of drop bars but they're for my next project. This was really just to keep me busy. I'm riding a fixed gear with no brakes, this will probably end up being my girlfriend/random friend who wants to go for a cruise to the bar bike.
Old 08-30-18, 04:30 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by depshop
Ahahaha, the bars are temporary as I said they'll be replaced. I've got a pair of drop bars but they're for my next project. This was really just to keep me busy. I'm riding a fixed gear with no brakes, this will probably end up being my girlfriend/random friend who wants to go for a cruise to the bar bike.
Well, if it's for your girlfriend, brakes are optional. Especially with a freewheel.

And I'm just messing with you about the handlebar. Everyone knows the fixie foo fad of super short, flat bars has been supplanted by a new preference for ridiculously wide MTB risers. Crazy wide. Stoopid-wide! I have one that measures 78 cm I'd give you, but it's got a 31.8 mm clamp area--not gonna fit in your quill stem.
Old 08-30-18, 07:54 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Well, if it's for your girlfriend, brakes are optional. Especially with a freewheel.

And I'm just messing with you about the handlebar. Everyone knows the fixie foo fad of super short, flat bars has been supplanted by a new preference for ridiculously wide MTB risers. Crazy wide. Stoopid-wide! I have one that measures 78 cm I'd give you, but it's got a 31.8 mm clamp area--not gonna fit in your quill stem.
Nonsense - the perfect handlebar was already on this bike in the first post. It just needed to be flipped around and the drops cut off!
Old 08-30-18, 08:23 PM
depshop

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phobus
Nonsense - the perfect handlebar was already on this bike in the first post. It just needed to be flipped around and the drops cut off!
That's honestly what I did in the first place but I didn't like the feel of it when sitting on it. :x I think I'll eventually get some legit bullhorn bars for it.
Old 08-30-18, 08:53 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

That's honestly what I did in the first place but I didn't like the feel of it when sitting on it. :x I think I'll eventually get some legit bullhorn bars for it.
Well, if that's what you want to do, then fine... to each his own.

But just be aware that many folks (two, by the latest count) find the reverse chop-and-flop bar puts you in a comfortable, upright position that provides a lot of power for climbing.
Old 08-30-18, 09:38 PM
depshop

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Hmmm does the chop an flop deal have anything to do with the size of the bars? When I did it it felt like I'd be using the flat end of the bars most of the time. The curved end felt super unnatural.
Old 08-30-18, 10:09 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Hmmm does the chop an flop deal have anything to do with the size of the bars?
No, it only has to do with your willingness to look ridiculous on your bike.

When I did it it felt like I'd be using the flat end of the bars most of the time. The curved end felt super unnatural.
Bingo! You've discovered why virtually everyone else rejects them. Stick with your plan to get a regular bullhorn.
Old 08-30-18, 10:12 PM
depshop

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I see.
Old 08-31-18, 02:08 AM
mavimao

Bikes: Custom Mercier - Velo'v - Peugeot FG conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks great! I love these little projects and giving new life to something that would have ended up in the garbage.

Just one thing: I would put a front brake instead of a rear brake if you’re planning on just using one. You have much more stopping power in the front than in the rear.
Old 08-31-18, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Hey don't make fun of the Floppy Chopper handlebars they are probably the best invention since duct taped bottle cages on your chain stays. If the elbows aren't locked you best be shocked. If the elbows are stretched tight your doin' it alright.
Old 08-31-18, 09:01 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I’ve seen a few riders with handlebars flipped up like that back in the 70’s.I would surmise it was a quick fix to be able to sit more upright.To each his/her own.Nice find,enjoy.

Last edited by 7up; 08-31-18 at 09:05 PM.