Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Singlespeed conversion

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Singlespeed conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 10:16 AM
marin_is_carin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Singlespeed conversion

Is it possible to convert an 8speed wheel into a singlespeed by removing the entire freehub? I've heard of singlespeed conversions where the freehub stays on and you just use spacers, ,but is it possible to take the whole thing off and change it to a single speed?
Old 09-02-18, 03:48 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by marin_is_carin
Is it possible to convert an 8speed wheel into a singlespeed by removing the entire freehub? I've heard of singlespeed conversions where the freehub stays on and you just use spacers, ,but is it possible to take the whole thing off and change it to a single speed?
No. The way the cassette free hub attaches is completely different from the way way a single speed freewheel cog does. Your choices are to put spacers on the freehub along with a single cog of the same type that's in your 8-speed cassette, or use a single speed-specific wheel and some method of tensioning the chain.
Old 09-02-18, 07:53 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
If you really wanted to you could replace the freehub on a Shimano road/mtb hub with the freehub off of a Shimano DX bmx hub and use extra spacers on the axel and redish the wheel. That's a lot though. You can get single speed specific rear hubs that fit 130/135 spacing pretty easily if you're after a cleaner look.