Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike stolen, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-18, 06:32 PM
BigBeef612

Bikes: Bikesdirect cheapy...Looking at a Fuji Traverse 1.3 (fall or spring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike stolen, need advice

I bought my first bike as an adult, back in May. It was from bikesdirect and for what i paid, ($350) it was a revelation to me. I fell in love with biking and I have dropped a total of 110 pounds, 50 of which came after i started biking. I am down to 285 now and I put on almost 1000 miles this summer, and participated in two organized rides. I gained a bunch of self confidence and a feeling of community.

Sadly, my trusty bike was stolen last week and after exhausting all the options I am sure that it is gone. The bike itself was a 7 speed cruiser, as at the beginning i was not even sure I was going to like biking, so i bought something that looked like it was going to be comfortable. I had planned on replacing my bike in the coming spring and had decided on either a Trek FX 4 or and Specialized Sirrus.... (any advice on this choice would be appreciated as well...)

I am now faced with a choice and the reason for my thread. I live in Minneapolis, MN and have direct access to the cities amazing trails and greenways. I am looking for advice on if I should buy a winter "beater" bike for the fall and winter months. Or buy the "nice" bike now. They do keep the trails relatively clear in the winter months, but I cannot help but feel concerned about riding a pricey bike in less than ideal MN winter weather.

If I go for a used beater bike, I was looking at older Trek FX bikes or would it be better to find a older MTN bike to satisfy my biking habit.

I am so bummed about loosing my bike, I just want to get back on the trails.
Old 10-10-18, 07:41 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 96 Posts
Have you looked at the "Winter Cycling" forum yet? Lot of talk there about studded tires and the bikes they ride in winter.

I would be afraid of taking my shiny new bike into the winter slush although plenty of commuters do I guess. It seems like I would be wanting to wash it down. Kind of hard to do when the was water is freezing.
Old 10-10-18, 08:28 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBeef612
I am looking for advice on if I should buy a winter "beater" bike for the fall and winter months. Or buy the "nice" bike now.
whyNotBoth.gif

Sorry about the theft, that must suck. I'm glad you're seeing the opportunity in the situation. And dropping 100lbs is quite an achievement.
Old 10-10-18, 08:58 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
There are some great bike co-ops in Mpls. I highly recommend The Hub at either the Minnehaha or Cedar Ave locations. Great place to find a decent winter beater at a good value. I like the 1990s vintage rigid cro-mo bikes like the higher ends of the Trek 700 and 800 series.

Bike thieves suck and, unfortunately, there is just so much you can do to thwart them.

Congrats on the weight loss.
Old 10-10-18, 09:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Congratulations at losing 110 lbs

Are you still losing weight? How long of rides are you doing?

I might also throw out looking at a cyclocross bike? For used bikes, something like the Specialized Tricross or Trek Crossrip. I think Specialized renamed the Tricross... which is now the Specialized Crux.

Perhaps also browse some "gravel" or "touring" or "adventure" bikes at REI.

I'm not familiar with the BikesDirect or BikeIsland offerings, but they likely have similar bikes, taking a bit fatter tires.

As far as winter riding. A lot depends on your actual conditions. Do you get ICE? Sunshine? Rain?

In a few more weeks, my road bike will be brought in and hidden away for the next 5 months or so, and I'll be tuning up and riding my winter bike for the rest of the year.

Anyway, old MTBs from the 1990's and early 2000's regularly show up on Craigslist. They can take a lot of abuse. And, 26" tires are great if you should choose STUDS.

BE SAFE IF RIDING IN THE WINTER. BRIGHT CLOTHING, LIGHTS, AND EITHER USE TRACTION, OR JUST DON'T RIDE IF SLIPPERY.

I suppose there are also people who move their cycling efforts indoors.
Old 10-10-18, 10:20 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
I had planned on replacing my bike in the coming spring and had decided on either a Trek FX 4 or and Specialized Sirrus.... (any advice on this choice would be appreciated as well...)
You can also look at some drop bar bikes, for example, Fuji Sportif: Fuji Bikes | Sportif 1.5 Disc
It is 10s like FX4, and it is $100 less than the Trek. Many people including me like steel road/touring/gravel bikes. For example, Jamis: https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questcomp.html It is 3x9, which may be good for heavy riders. Also, you should have many Surlys in MN.
I have Double Cross Disc.

I am now faced with a choice and the reason for my thread. I live in Minneapolis, MN and have direct access to the cities amazing trails and greenways. I am looking for advice on if I should buy a winter "beater" bike for the fall and winter months. Or buy the "nice" bike now. They do keep the trails relatively clear in the winter months, but I cannot help but feel concerned about riding a pricey bike in less than ideal MN winter weather.
The bikes are made to be ridden. Why not ride them? Especially if the frame is aluminum, what can happen to them? Rust on the drivetrain? Road salt getting inside the headset? If you are worried too much, get a beater bike.
Old 10-10-18, 11:32 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Get a "gravel" bike - they're basically endurance road bikes that can take wider tires, which will be better for your conditions anyway.

Of course, the real question is how are you going to prevent somebody from stealing an even nicer bike? Forget the slush, you can clean that off.
Old 10-11-18, 04:56 AM
BigBeef612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, that is what I am thinking. Plus my building does not really have a good place to wash down a bike. But I do see tons of people riding all winter long.
Old 10-11-18, 04:57 AM
BigBeef612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a great idea. Buy the bike i want now, find a beater for those rough weather days. hmmmm thx!
Old 10-11-18, 04:58 AM
BigBeef612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks! There are a lot of the trek 700 or 800 on CL. I guess not having tons of experience biking, wasn't sure how those 20+ year old bikes hold up over the years?
Old 10-11-18, 05:02 AM
BigBeef612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Congratulations at losing 110 lbs

Are you still losing weight? How long of rides are you doing?

Yes still losing, weekday rides are about 19 miles.. weekends ill do 25-30. have done a couple of 45 miles rides.

I might also throw out looking at a cyclocross bike? For used bikes, something like the Specialized Tricross or Trek Crossrip. I think Specialized renamed the Tricross... which is now the Specialized Crux.

Ill look into that. thank you!

Perhaps also browse some "gravel" or "touring" or "adventure" bikes at REI.

I'm not familiar with the BikesDirect or BikeIsland offerings, but they likely have similar bikes, taking a bit fatter tires.

As far as winter riding. A lot depends on your actual conditions. Do you get ICE? Sunshine? Rain?

We get it all up here...

In a few more weeks, my road bike will be brought in and hidden away for the next 5 months or so, and I'll be tuning up and riding my winter bike for the rest of the year.

Anyway, old MTBs from the 1990's and early 2000's regularly show up on Craigslist. They can take a lot of abuse. And, 26" tires are great if you should choose STUDS.

BE SAFE IF RIDING IN THE WINTER. BRIGHT CLOTHING, LIGHTS, AND EITHER USE TRACTION, OR JUST DON'T RIDE IF SLIPPERY.

I suppose there are also people who move their cycling efforts indoors.

Thanks for the advice i will look into this!
Old 10-11-18, 05:42 AM
BigBeef612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Get a "gravel" bike - they're basically endurance road bikes that can take wider tires, which will be better for your conditions anyway.

Of course, the real question is how are you going to prevent somebody from stealing an even nicer bike? Forget the slush, you can clean that off.

ill look into the gravel bike, thank you! Yes I have figured out how to protect the next bike.
Old 10-11-18, 10:40 AM
BigBeef612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just came across this on FB marketplace... for 50$... is it worth it? This would obviously be my winter beater.

Old 10-11-18, 10:33 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
thanks! There are a lot of the trek 700 or 800 on CL. I guess not having tons of experience biking, wasn't sure how those 20+ year old bikes hold up over the years?
They hold up well assuming they were not abused, but they will likely need a tune up.
Just came across this on FB marketplace... for 50$... is it worth it? This would obviously be my winter beater.

No photo is showing.
Old 10-11-18, 10:39 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Winter beater, bad weather bike.
Disc brakes might be a good feature.
Old 10-11-18, 11:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Disc brakes might be sweet, but bikes with standard cable operated rim brakes are often dirt cheap. I don't know if the department store cable actuated disc brake bikes are any better than the rim brake bikes.

That Trek Mountain Track is probably fine for $50. From the one photo, it looks pretty complete. As the seller said, it may need a bit of tuning (it'll make a great practice bike).

The Canti brakes have fallen a bit out of favor, but they are still solid brakes.
I kind of like the grip shifters, but they aren't for everyone. If they work, they'll be fine.

It looks like it probably has a tear on the right side of the seat, but it may not be that big of a deal for a beater commuter.

The slicks should make good commuter tires, unless you choose studs (or have both slicks and studs).

I like to do a complete tear down and rebuild on a bike that age, but heck, if it rides, perhaps just ride it until it doesn't move anymore.

I'm not great at comparing vintage MTB sizes to road sizes. That one looks a little on the small side. If that was a road bike, I'd say probably best for someone less than 5'8" or so. If you're over 6', then look for something taller.
Old 10-12-18, 08:43 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
That is a great idea. Buy the bike i want now, find a beater for those rough weather days. hmmmm thx!

I think that's a good plan if you can swing it. You may get a better deal on the dream bike now as the shops will want to move their inventory. Demand is high in the spring so you'll pay top dollar. You might get both bikes now for what you would pay for the dream bike in the spring.
Old 10-13-18, 10:17 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm not great at comparing vintage MTB sizes to road sizes. That one looks a little on the small side. If that was a road bike, I'd say probably best for someone less than 5'8" or so. If you're over 6', then look for something taller.
I am 6'1" and I had a 20" Trek 820. It was a bit on the smaller side for me.
Vintage-trek site should have geometry charts for some years.
Old 10-14-18, 07:49 PM
BigBeef612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger on a new Trek FX 3 disc. The price was right and the bike felt very comfy and fast! The FX 4 was not as comfortable, and $400 more. So I’m pleased and looking forward to some supposed good weather coming this week!

Thsnks for the advice!