Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever get hit by a bird?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anyone ever get hit by a bird?

Old 06-08-19, 07:12 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 92 Posts
Different kind of bird hit. Found some dried bird poop on my helmet the other day. Didn't notice it at the time of impact. Must have been a stealth bird.

I had already washed my Halo skull cap before I noticed.
Old 06-09-19, 07:38 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I was riding around a paved trail around a lake in November at dusk when hundreds of geese came in for the evening. No one in our group got hit, some came pretty close but it was incredible.
Old 06-10-19, 10:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by nkfrench
I was just riding along and THUMP a bat with (obviously) defective sonar hit my sternum.
The sonar wasn't defective, only the judgement of the bat. I've been canoeing at dusk and have been buzzed by bats...like fractions of an inch from my ear. They were after the mosquitoes keyed in on my carbon dioxide signature. Your's was probably chasing something else and you just happened to run across its path.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-10-19, 10:39 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I was riding along the MUP I frequent when suddenly a squirrel came bolting out of the bushes on my left. He was a few strides into it, I leaned right and braked and he made a hard U turn. A couple of my spokes hit some part of him as they pinged a couple times as he bolted back to where he came from. It happened so fast!
Old 06-10-19, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by nkfrench
I was just riding along and THUMP a bat with (obviously) defective sonar hit my sternum.
You just reminded me of something....

One year I did our annual club century from New Hope, PA to Brooklyn. Took the charter bus back to New Hope and was trying to make it back to Philly for last call. I was doing 85 mph. on I-95. Unfortunately, I didn't make it in time.

A few days later I had to pack my bike to fly out to Cycle Oregon. Lights down low. Steely Dan on the CD player. Glass of wine. Turned the bike over to remove the pedals and saw what I thought was a bunch of junk between the chainrings with a leaf sticking out of it. Thought I must have picked up something during the NY ride. Pulled out offending object, held it up to my face and found myself staring at a dead bat. It's fangs were exposed and it's eyes were open. Right in the center of its chest red splotch of blood. I must have impaled it on the on a chainring tooth while flying down the highway. I screamed like a little girl, dropped the thing on a piece of paper on my bar, ran into the kitchen and started scrubbing my fingers. "Must get clean. Must get clean."
Old 06-10-19, 01:49 PM
cnew2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A snake was crossing our bike trail. I easily passed by, but my friend, who apparently has a snake phobia was not so lucky. She swerved, snake swerved. Both lived to see another day. I laughed really really hard.
Old 06-12-19, 01:01 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
I have a few birds fly into me, one hit my chest and the other hit my arm. I have also had a cat, 3 or 4 chickens, 2 dogs, a cow which really hurt my arm, and 2 water buffalos either run into me or my bike. All but 1 chicken survived and I did not wreck although hitting the cow messed up my bars and a brake lever.
Old 06-12-19, 02:50 PM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Never hit by a bird, but I was riding to a downtown ball game a couple of weeks ago with a friend and I was directly shat upon by a bird, on my bare arm.

Like.... there's a whole world out there to poop upon, dude.... did you really have to go directly on me??
Old 06-17-19, 03:41 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Got pooped on once, hitting my helmet and arm. Aside from being pissed at having to pull over and clean off, I was surprised how hot the poop felt on my skin. I guess birds must have a higher body temperature than humans (talk about learning things the hard way). Another time a bee (or possibly a wasp) flew into my helmet and stung me on the forehead. Fortunately I was only a couple of miles from home because I was starting to feel dizzy from the pain as I pedaled back. I've also had to swerve a couple of times to avoid green snakes, squirrels, and chipmunks. Plus, recently I got sort of half-heartedly chased by a small group of wild turkeys (I think that's technically called a rafter of turkeys), but they gave up after a couple hundred feet.