Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Services at the Top of Brasstown Bald?

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 06-27-19, 04:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Anyone know what services are available at the visitor's center at Brasstown Bald? I know there are bathrooms and water but is there any food, even basic convenience store stuff?

What about bikes beyond the parking lot? Does anyone think walking a bike up the trail from the parking lot to the visitor's center would be prohibited or frowned upon?

I'll probably call the visitor's center for the official word but reality doesn't always match up with rules and regulations.

I've been to the parking lot but have never been to the summit and might be going past there later this summer.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-27-19 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 05:40 AM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's been a few years since I've climbed Brasstown, but there are the basics at the visitor's center. I think there were a few vending machines and maybe a concession stand, but no real food. Good for a Snicker's bar but that's about it.
You'd probably be fine just leaving your bike in the visitor's center and walking up the trail. Ask one of the park personnel to put your bike behind a counter or something and I'm sure they'd help you out.
Old 07-02-19, 04:20 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The trail up from the parking area is either on foot, or in the "official" van to the top. I cannot recall even seeing a vending machine in the gift shop area at the parking lot but that has a lot to do with what you are looking for. There is a small store back at 180/19 but they keep strange hours. I also know there is a camping area, Serenbe IIRC just down the road, but it's rather commune-ish and may not actually have run of the mill sundries available.