Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Pilot 2.1 vs. Trek 2100

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 10:05 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looking for input. First road bike. What's the significant differences here? I'm just looking to be able to do some longer rides than I can with my Giant hybrid. I'm not looking to do any racing or anything. I know clipless pedals vs. clips and straps, and I know different brakes, but I can switch out the pedals, right? I'm pretty much at a $1000 window, so the 2100 would probably have to be last year's model. Thanks!
Old 08-10-05, 10:32 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Different geometries. 2100 is intended for more athletic and flexible riders. Pilot is more upright, which is more stable and comfortable at lower speeds. Also, some body shapes may prefer one or the other.
Old 08-10-05, 10:35 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We have Trek Mountain bikes and seemed to be the perfect target for the Pilots, but they just road funny to both my wife and I. It came down to a 60 Trek 2100, 58 Cannondale, and a 58 Specialized. The Trek was a hair long, but we both really fell in love with the Cannondales (mine is a R900, wife's is a SR500). Like everyone else says, ride a bunch of bikes and your body will tell you what to pick. After about 3 weeks I really love my R900, even hit 45 mph this morning.

John
Old 08-11-05, 01:29 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Athletic is not a word that has probably ever been used to describe me, so I guess that's one vote for the Pilot.
Old 08-11-05, 10:47 PM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Pilot 2.1 which I like very much. However, just so you know, a standard geometry bike like the 2100 can be set up for an upright riding position too. It's just that the Pilot is built specifically that way.
Old 08-11-05, 10:51 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dfw
I have the Pilot 2.1 which I like very much. However, just so you know, a standard geometry bike like the 2100 can be set up for an upright riding position too. It's just that the Pilot is built specifically that way.
Pilot has a short top tube as well as a tall head tube. You may need a really ugly setup to get that kind of riding position from a standard racing bike.
Old 08-12-05, 12:20 AM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Pilot has a short top tube as well as a tall head tube. You may need a really ugly setup to get that kind of riding position from a standard racing bike.
The effective top tube of the Pilot is about the same as the 2100. Of course the Pilot is semi-compact and the 2100 isn't, but this makes the actual top tube of the Pilot longer than the 2100. The head tube on the Pilot is longer, but not that much more so when you look at them side by side. The Pilot does have a bit more relaxed head angle.

I wouldn't think it would be all that bad. Cut the steering tube a little longer and add some spacers, change the angle on the bars, and mount the hoods a little higher up and you could get a similar effect. As long as you don't go overboard on anything you'd be OK, you just might not get as upright as a Pilot, but more so than a standard racer.
Old 08-12-05, 09:58 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But why pay to make all the changes to the 2100 to make it more like a Pilot? Why not just buy the Pilot?
Old 08-12-05, 10:45 PM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked myself the same question and bought the Pilot. One advantage of going the other way is it would be very easy to revert to a racing profile should you ever choose to later. There's also ways to set the Pilot up to get to a lower riding position, but certainly not what you could do with the 2100.