Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Drops and dummy hoods

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Drops and dummy hoods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 07:56 AM
bckpck2rev

Bikes: Raleigh Technium(SS), Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drops and dummy hoods

So I was riding a conversion fixed with chopped drops, the LBS did an excellent job at selling me a Steamroller. Well the stock is drop bars, so I have been digging the drops lately, but I miss the upright of the bulls. The brake is a flat bar brake, I have the urban assault ordered and on the way (bar end brake also). So this is my question, I am going to keep the drops to change it up every now and then, does anyone run a dummy hood on the left to match the right brake hood? Or is there some other trick I am missing? I would really dig the drops if I could get both hoods on, without it looking stupid.
Old 01-08-09, 08:09 AM
PoopinFresh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lots of people run dummy hoods, some with levers, some with just the hood. Doesn't look stupid IMO, though some on this forum will surely hate. Does it get the job done? Yes, and that's all that really matters. I will probably be doing the same thing soon enough, as having multiple hand positions is really great.
Old 01-08-09, 08:14 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I drilled out the brake lever pivot for the right side brake, and took off the lever, and painted the aluminum bits black. I would try to pull the non-existent brake at times when the lever was still there.
Old 01-08-09, 09:39 AM
chase.
out of shape

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can run just the hood, or get a stoker hood with a cut-off fang lever (no sharp pivot bits exposed), or keep the whole lever and connect it to a bell.
Old 01-08-09, 10:00 AM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a rear brake just for the simplicity of having something attached to the drop. I have yet to use it, but it keeps everything simple.

What I've seen that is really cool is that you can attach both levers to the same brake if you want. That's another option to consider if you wanted to keep the lever in the hood. Either way I strongly reccomend you keep the hoods as it provides alot of versatility
Old 01-08-09, 11:35 AM
rudetay

Bikes: Serotta Colorado III Track (Renyolds Ouzo Pro Aero Fork, Dura-Ace to Mavic CXP-14 wheels, Sugino crank, Thomson and 3T the rest), Steelman Cyclocross (Campy Record 10, Deda Newton & Thomson stuff)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the dummy hood thing looks fine:

https://velospace.org/node/16406

On the Tektro levers pictured you can just push out the pin that holds the lever on with a hammer and screw driver or something similar. I prefer drops and hoods to the bullhorn or just drops I've run in the past.
Old 01-08-09, 12:21 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rudetay

On the Tektro levers pictured you can just push out the pin that holds the lever on with a hammer and screw driver or something similar. I prefer drops and hoods to the bullhorn or just drops I've run in the past.
I like leaving the lever in place... looks broken with it removed, plus I run front brake on right, like my motorcycle, so the dummy left lever is just one more thing to mess with criminals that try and take my bike.
Old 01-08-09, 03:39 PM
bckpck2rev

Bikes: Raleigh Technium(SS), Jamis Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool I was thinking the dummy would work. I like the bell idea attached to it...
Old 01-08-09, 03:52 PM
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running a dummy lever on the right, or at least until I install a rear brake, which I'll probably do soon. I hate the way single hoods look, and I ride on the hoods all the time in pedestrian traffic around campus, so I wouldn't ever want to give that hand position up.
Old 01-08-09, 09:26 PM
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw someone rig up the extra lever to a bell once. I'd do that if I knew how.
Old 01-08-09, 09:32 PM
ryker
Slow mechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is probably one of the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen. That said, it would look finished if the hoods were black and the right lever was intact. For some reason the hacked lever looks wrong to me (check out https://www.canecreek.com/ergo-stoker-levers.html for a compromise).
Old 01-08-09, 09:49 PM
ryker
Slow mechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paulwwalters
I saw someone rig up the extra lever to a bell once. I'd do that if I knew how.
See this thread here or that thread there.

Last edited by ryker; 01-08-09 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 11:14 PM
Geordi Laforge
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do the cc stokers come in any color besides black (or are there any other recommended stoker options)?
Old 01-09-09, 07:07 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put the hood on, the extra hand positions are well worth it. I did that on mine, it's just for winter training though so I don't really care how it looks. It would look decidedly cool with a bell attached though, I like that!
Old 01-09-09, 11:51 AM
rudetay

Bikes: Serotta Colorado III Track (Renyolds Ouzo Pro Aero Fork, Dura-Ace to Mavic CXP-14 wheels, Sugino crank, Thomson and 3T the rest), Steelman Cyclocross (Campy Record 10, Deda Newton & Thomson stuff)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge
do the cc stokers come in any color besides black (or are there any other recommended stoker options)?
They have the same hood as the Cane Creek SCR-5 levers, so black or tan/gum. At least until Hudz starts making more hood replacements. I have never seen the stoker levers in person, but they look like they are just the SCR-5 bodies (also the same as Tektro R200A) with the little fake plastic lever instead of the full size one. And, somehow more expensive, so maybe just get the normal levers and cut/file them down?

Ryker, thanks for the bike comments! The hoods were originally black, but I just got some gum ones for fun and to get a bit of a retro element to match the cranks, calling back to when that was the only choice. The idea was also to match them to some nice tires at some point, but gatorskins work better for fall/winter/spring riding. But, if I had the lever in place my bike would weight 15g more! Just kidding, I just kind of took it off because I could, I didn't want it just sitting there clicking around, and didn't have the parts to secure it (you can keep it still by setting it up with a short length of housing and cable, but then at the end of the housing attach a stopper to the cable so it can't be pulled at all, the lever will be solid).

My dad has a tandem from around the 80s (Rodriguez custom!) and the stoker bars have these little nub things that I haven't been able to find anywhere. It's not shaped like a brake lever, it's almost like a little bar end you attach where you would normally put the brake, and it's encased in rubber. Feels more like the end of a bullhorn bar than a big old brake lever while riding.
Old 01-09-09, 12:35 PM
chase.
out of shape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wish you could buy the CC/tektro levers with the gum hoods straight away. everywhere i've seen your options are black/black lever and black/silver lever.
Old 01-09-09, 01:13 PM
ryker
Slow mechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ryker, thanks for the bike comments! The hoods were originally black, but I just got some gum ones for fun and to get a bit of a retro element to match the cranks, calling back to when that was the only choice. The idea was also to match them to some nice tires at some point, but gatorskins work better for fall/winter/spring riding. But, if I had the lever in place my bike would weight 15g more! Just kidding, I just kind of took it off because I could, I didn't want it just sitting there clicking around, and didn't have the parts to secure it (you can keep it still by setting it up with a short length of housing and cable, but then at the end of the housing attach a stopper to the cable so it can't be pulled at all, the lever will be solid).
FWIW I have the same levers on my SSFG road bike and the (disconnected but intact) right lever never makes a sound. The spring in the lever is plenty strong enough to keep it still.

To my eye, the "normal" mode of having two levers doesn't interrupt my brain whereas a single lever or a stoker lever or a hacked lever take a second to decode. My brain kind of just accepts dual levers and moves on to gawk at the important bits.

Last edited by ryker; 01-09-09 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 10:26 PM
sloane
metal

Bikes: TREK 1400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why destroy a brake lever? Just buy some tandem hoods?
Old 01-10-09, 12:21 AM
dookie

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sloane
Why destroy a brake lever? Just buy some tandem hoods?
better yet...just run two complete levers. looks much better. suck it up and haul the extra ounce.