Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie for toddler > coaster brake to fixie?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixie for toddler > coaster brake to fixie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 12:25 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeebu
as the OP, I thought I'd update anyone who's still paying attention.

Just after I started the thread, my son started bugging me for a pedal bike and refused to ride his balance bike. I cast around for what to do, and even found a coaster brake wheel to disassemble. I think I figured out how to seize it up, but I haven't found a bike to operate on.

Anyway, last night we found a stardard 12" wheel kids bike w/ coaster brakes in our apartment's courtyard. He's too small for it, his toes barely reach the ground, but he wanted to give it a go. Wtihin a half hour or so he was riding around more or less successfully.

The most difficult thing for him to master was the coaster brake drive train. He always froze up and stopped pedaling, and then forgot which way to pedal and jammed on the brakes. Very frusterating for him. I do feel like a fixed gear would have been much easier, and I'm a little worried that he's discouraged from the whole thing.

Now, my son doesn't have a lot of practice riding a coaster brake DT even with training wheels. Having said that, I actually don't think that this inexperience mattered that much. Using the pedals for balance is just so much different than using them just for propulsion as with the training wheels.

However, my conclusion is that for the very first bike, it doesn't really matter that much. I think for the initial week or so, the fixed gear is much more intuitative and easy for the kid, but one he masters the coaster brake DT, it won't matter at all.

I actually think that most of the dangers of fixed gears, as described by people on this thread, apply when the kid is slightly bigger (around age 5 or so) and can get himself going fast enough that he puts himself in a situation he can't handle.

In my situation, where my kid will be doing most of his riding in a large apartment complex, with a lot of flat, car-free paths, I see no reason whatsoever why a fixed gear would be dangerous. I also know this to be true because of our neighbor, who had four or so kids learn on a fixie here.
My kid mastered the coaster brake sans training wheels when he was four. Once he learned to ride, my strategy was to help verbally, but not with my hands. After a few days of frustration, he figured out the whole coaster brake thing and how to set the pedals properly for starting out.
I think you are probably correct about fixed gears being OK and possibly more intuitive for kids less than 5, who probably aren't exceeding speeds of 5mph. However that phase is so short-lived why bother trying to convert a bike into a fixie? Just let them learn how to ride a normal bike.
Old 06-29-09, 04:11 PM
Jeebu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I think you are probably correct about fixed gears being OK and possibly more intuitive for kids less than 5, who probably aren't exceeding speeds of 5mph. However that phase is so short-lived why bother trying to convert a bike into a fixie? Just let them learn how to ride a normal bike.
mihlbach, thanks for supporting my point about younger kids. I, in turn, agree with your larger "why bother?" point. The whole phase probably lasts a couple of weeks until they master the coaster brake. So it's really not worth converting, or going too far out of your way to find a fixie. Still I did see a newish one in the courtyard yesterday, so possibly the big box stores are still selling them.

My kid is actually 3 years and 4 months. I earlier said he was "close to four" because I didn't want age to be the focus, and I actually didn't think that he would ride for another few months. He pretty much forced the issue himself by refusing to ride his balance bike. I actually think that riding his scooter (a razor) helped him develop the balance skills he uses for the bike. he goes much faster on the razor, he can lean into turns more, and the steering is looser. Unlike the balance bike, it requires motion.

After a week of riding, he can now start the bike up on his own. He occasionally uses the coaster brakes, but in an emergency he usually panics and puts his feet down and steers wildly, usually with unfortunate results. I'm actually a little surprised -- I figured that it'd be harder for him to start than to figure out the coaster brakes, but I guess that supports my theory that coaster brakes are not intuitive. OTOH, he's a lot more interested in learning to start than he is in learning to stop.

Guess I start looking for a mini BMX now. Gotta stay ahead of the curve if I want to find a used one. Those things are pricey!
Old 12-25-17, 12:00 AM
capitalcrewbike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys ragging on a man asking how or where to get a 12 inch fixie are a problem. Get a life.

Now where can I get a 12 inch fixed rear wheel for my 2 year old? I am not kidding.
My kid loves his balance bike and I want him to learn how to pedal.
It is hard for kids to understand the push pull of a non fixed bike. A fixed gear teaches them the full circle.

**** off you wanna be parents.
Old 12-25-17, 12:34 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Are you serious?
Old 12-25-17, 01:16 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Are you serious?
He's giving some 8 year old zombies some hell on Christmas eve. LMAO.
Old 12-27-17, 03:41 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bach, wonderful advice both on the age and the inexpensive conversion, Rotafixed cog to a suicide hub on the BMX bike. Four years old is a bit young methinks to be riding fixed. It would be too easy to get into an accident or go over the bars. They do not have the proper coordination..........yet. Both my kids rode coaster brakes as kids and then kind of stopped riding. They started up again late in Grade School, and since I have my own shop, built them up whatever they wanted. In the end, they both preferred fixed and now at almost 21 and 23 years old, they still have only ridden fixed.* It's funny. My son recently rode a geared bike and initially almost crashed because he tried to back pedal to slow. Totally messed up his melon at first but he got used to it quickly. Went back to fixed.**

*they only use bikes for errands and such
**and trust me...................my kids don't/can't qualify as hipsters
Old 12-27-17, 03:48 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by capitalcrewbike

Now where can I get a 12 inch fixed rear wheel for my 2 year old? I am not kidding.

Seriously, several manufacturers make 12" freewheel BMX bikes with front and rear brakes. The easiest/cheapest solution would be to remove the freewheel and replace it with a fixed cog. Clean the threads well on both hub and cog, Red Loc-Tite it and either Rotafix it or use a long handled chain whip.
Old 12-30-17, 09:56 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm away from the SS/FG forum for maybe two weeks and come back to find all these dumba$$ threads resurrected.

I miss this place!
Old 08-06-18, 02:50 AM
ellyord

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is a dead thread but it is one I came across when looking to convert a coaster brake to fixie for my autistic child here is what i ended up doing thetripots.com/2018/07/11/diy-bike-for-motorically-challenged-toddler/