Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

losing those last 10 to 15 pounds?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 12:30 AM
Nimitz87

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 R5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I weigh in at 207lb (as of today) and am just shy of 6'5. I want to lose around 10-15 pounds, I'm not in bad shape persay but just CANT lose this last little bit of weight.

any ideas? one of my problems (besides sleeping) is I'm constantly hungry, especially after a hard ride, I eat decently healthy...does it come down to calorie counting?

the lowest weight I have been at this height was 175lb...the day I graduated from Parris Island...it was unhealthy and I was weak, a month later I was MUCH stronger weighing in 185-190lb running a 5k in 19min, 25 pullups, etc. but that was before cycling...now I've put on a few extra pounds and wouldn't mind getting rid of them.

any tips on losing these hard pounds?

Chad
Old 08-03-09, 01:35 AM
dahoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm,

at 6'5" I don't think that 205 lbs is out of line, especially if it is mostly muscle mass. I think you would be hard pressed to give up any weight without a certain amount of muscle wasting. You could certainly try to cut calories a little, but if you are holding where you are, I wouldn't overdo it. Certainly, you can drop those pounds, but it might be to your detriment. A long slow decline is what you want, and that might not be easy to do.

I'm in a similar predicament, and find myself about 15 lbs over what I would like to weigh, but I am unlikely to loose more than a pound a week, without causing a problem for myself.

It is relatively easy for a sedentary person to up the effort a little, and cut back on the calories, and see immediate significant weight loss. It is not so easy for a trained athlete, partly because your body has a tendency to try to keep a little in reserve to get it thru the hard times. Up your ride distance/time, and leave your diet alone. As little as an extra hour a week should allow for a slow reduction in weight, but it will take time like that.

I would guess that if you shocked your system by trying to lose it too quickly, you may well find that it comes right back.
Old 08-03-09, 12:23 PM
Ratfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As always, cut out all sugar from your diet (sucrose, not sugars in general) and stop drinking alcohol.
Old 08-03-09, 12:36 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And cut down on dinner, and cut out post-dinner snacks.
Old 08-03-09, 01:15 PM
dahoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratfish
stop drinking alcohol.

booo hiss

I'll just ride those extra 5 miles
Old 08-03-09, 01:41 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you ride before breakfast? Exercising on an empty stomach is supposed to help with weight loss.

Also, maybe you need to just be patient. How long have you been at this plateau? If you're eating well and riding lots, you may just need to keep up your good habits and ignore the scale for a while.
Old 08-03-09, 03:13 PM
nenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoyle
booo hiss

I'll just ride those extra 5 miles
ill do then 10

try doing smaller more frequent portions throughout the day. that will speed up your metabolism, cut out excess carbs from dinner.
Old 08-03-09, 03:39 PM
Nimitz87

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 R5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
Can you ride before breakfast? Exercising on an empty stomach is supposed to help with weight loss.

Also, maybe you need to just be patient. How long have you been at this plateau? If you're eating well and riding lots, you may just need to keep up your good habits and ignore the scale for a while.
eh I can but normally don't like to ride/run or do a whole lot with nothing in the stomach...hah no I have been at this weight for the last 3 years +/- a pound or two...I don't lose or gain weight easily. I would just like to finally get rid of these 10 pounds.

Originally Posted by Ratfish
As always, cut out all sugar from your diet (sucrose, not sugars in general) and stop drinking alcohol.
gotcha...not sure if I can stop having the ocasional beer, but I don't drink regularly.

Originally Posted by ericm979
And cut down on dinner, and cut out post-dinner snacks.
this is one of my problems...I'll be hungry after dinner, what can I snack on that's "good"

Originally Posted by nenn
ill do then 10

try doing smaller more frequent portions throughout the day. that will speed up your metabolism, cut out excess carbs from dinner.
already do this...I really think I just need to cut the calories a bit.

Chad
Old 08-03-09, 10:56 PM
Ratfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you eat fatty foods instead of sugary foods you'll lose the weight without feeling deprived. When not on the bike, try to be as active as possible. I lose weight even if I don't ride for weeks just from being active in general. Find something you enjoy doing and do it, just try to sit down as little as possible. It really adds up.

The reason I mentioned alcohol is that in addition to drinking calories (which is almost never good) you're interfering with your liver function, which will affect fatty acid metabolism.
Old 08-04-09, 04:49 AM
paulclaude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smaller, more frequent meals don't speed metabolism - that's a myth. In fact, it just makes me hungrier - but each to their own.

Really, the best thing i've found as i've mentioned before is to eliminate refined carbs as much as possible, eat more fruit and veg (fruit is great for a snack) and introduce healthy fats into your diet. You won't be half as hungry if you focus on fruit and veg as the main part of your diet, and will become leaner naturally as a result, plus feel a whole lot better.
Old 08-04-09, 04:59 AM
Bike Tourist
Bike Tourist

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL4.0 EQ ST

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
If it were easy, everybody could do it. Obviously, our environment is stacked against achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. There are many good ideas here and in other places. You'll have to try the ones that seem applicable to you and evaluate them. Weight always seems to be under your control, yet the temptations are great and the results are not immediate.

We all have to find our way in the wilderness. Good luck to you!
Old 08-04-09, 07:22 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Count calories
Old 08-04-09, 09:51 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are having problems with hunger after riding, you aren't doing your recovery nutrition right. Get a recovery beverage (I use endurox chocolate, others use another drink or chocolate milk) to support your blood sugar and you won't get killer hungry after you are done.

After I started doing that (and getting 250 cal/hour when I ride), I dropped 5 pounds over 6 months without doing a lot other than just eating healthy.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com