Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Big Losers - 50+ pounds lost... how many miles per week are you riding?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Big Losers - 50+ pounds lost... how many miles per week are you riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 04:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Why do you say that? I ask because I used to feel like cycling wasn't very hard, so it can't burn many calories ... especially since it's hilly, and I'll coast down the other side as my reward for climbing sometimes. I got some different estimates based on my weight plus the bike, the type of terrain I was riding in, and all that, and they were mostly around 700 per hour. I did the calorie counting thing for about six (?) months using that as an estimate, and got about the weight loss I'd expect. Anyway, your mileage is going to vary, but it's way more than I thought.

Where do you ride?
Old 12-23-10, 04:41 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You should be burning around 600 kCal per hour on the bike,
Easily. During races, I can do up to 1,200kcals per hour. Regular training rides: ~800.

Originally Posted by InTheRain
I must be taking it easy on the bike.
Yes. Of course, perception is often contrary to reality.
Old 12-23-10, 06:23 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Why do you say that? I ask because I used to feel like cycling wasn't very hard, so it can't burn many calories ... especially since it's hilly, and I'll coast down the other side as my reward for climbing sometimes.

Where do you ride?
I ride in Thurston county. A lot of the riding is on the chehalis western trail, the woodland trail, and country roads with wide shoulders. The trails are relatively flat and I use them to commute. I'm not finding myself doing a lot of road riding in the dark and wet at this time of the year.
Old 12-23-10, 07:05 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding in Oct. According to my Garmin Fr60 I averaged 623 C / Hour. For a more experienced rider 700 C / hour would be very reasonable.

I can walk for hours on end. So 200-300 also seems reasonable.
Old 12-23-10, 07:15 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can lose about 30 lbs from climbing. Most I've done is 7300 miles in one year which is only 140 per week, but 105 per week is more the norm for my riding. If I climb like a slug clowning around, no loss. I must really push myself up the hills to lose weight. Riding 6,000 miles on flat terrain, I won't lose a pound.
Old 12-23-10, 07:31 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I can lose about 30 lbs from climbing. Most I've done is 7300 miles in one year which is only 140 per week, but 105 per week is more the norm for my riding. If I climb like a slug clowning around, no loss. I must really push myself up the hills to lose weight. Riding 6,000 miles on flat terrain, I won't lose a pound.
I'm sure I would lose more just riding if I did the climbing that you do Beanz (climbing increases the intensity of the exercise.) However, I'd say that most of my riding is relatively flat. I'm sure I burn calories riding the flat terrain, but I think I've been replacing everything I burn with the foods I eat (that's gotta change.)
Old 12-23-10, 08:19 PM
madfx

Bikes: Lynskey specialized cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My riding for the year is done, sadly probally till feb/march 2011. There is snow on the ground now. I started riding in April and finished with 2400 miles, so roughly 85 per week. For most of the summer I was doing 15 miles a day 7 days. Between riding and calorie counting I lost about 67lbs during that time, I am missing riding big time, tring to decide between a trainer or rollers for the winter, I have a gym membership but would like to still ride my bike.
Old 12-23-10, 09:28 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time on the bike varies with the season. In the Winter (Nov-Feb) I keep my bike at work for mid-day rides and on the weekends I get out for a couple of longer rides. Saddle time averages approx. 10 hours and 150 miles a week. I also hit the gym three times a week early in the morning for an hour of strength training.

The rest of the year I commute 44 to 50 miles a day roundtrip to work and some longer weekend rides. That almost doubles the weekly hours and mileage.

I've dropped 60 lbs in the last 18 months with this routine and some very modest diet changes (no soda, no fast food, and no snacks after 8 pm).
Old 12-31-10, 07:07 AM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 , KHS fully rigid SS, SE Draft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just logged 3000 commuter miles for the year this week.

I log between 80 and 100 bike miles a week along with working on my feet for 12 hour shifts in a box manufacturing plant. I weighed 255 lbs 6 years ago and woke up one day and said enough is enough and decided to buy a bike and do something about it. I have been sitting between 180 and 200 lbs since then and have not looked back. I have never really watched what I eat, and I have never made any type of food or beverage off limits. I keep a close eye on the scale and if I see my weight creeping up I increase my activities at work. I will force myself to work 12 hours without taking breaks until I get the scale back to where I want it, and I will increase my water intake into the 2 gallon range to combat any hunger I have while at work.

I will agree that this is not the best way to control the weight, but in my mind it works for me. I take pride in knowing that I can out work kids half my age and still get on my bike at 3am for the commute home with energy to spare.
Old 12-31-10, 09:45 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lost ~55lbs (255 or so to 199 + or -), and currently ride about 10-12 hours a week (~700+ miles per month when outdoors).

I train now more for speed and endurance than weight loss (just joined a race team), but would still like to drop some weight. It is hard to do during the season as I need to eat to keep energy levels up for hard, short, stupid efforts. I have been trying to eat less and ride longer, lower effort rides in the winter. Mostly failing due to eating too much and going on stupid fast team rides.. like today!
Old 10-15-18, 09:14 AM
fiat0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
While I am not quite to 50 pounds of loss yet, I'll chime in anyway.

The only form of exercise I perform is cycling. When I first started (which was about two months before I even thought about loosing weight, I could barely manage 10 minutes per day. During the course of most of that weight loss, I was performing at least 30-45 minutes per day six times a week. For the last month or so (six months total) I have been riding about a hour a day, six days a week. Unlike the beggining where duration was limited by my ability, now the limit is simply the time I have available for the exercise.

As I have become more active, I have noticed that I am not as sedentary as I had been in the past. So, while not exercise per se, I find I am more likely to take the stairs, rather then an elevator, and when I go somewhere, I usually park in the back of the lot and walk more. Even just around the house I find I move more... Even though this is not exercise, I believe it contributes to a better metabolism.

Personally, I believe any form of activity (that gets the heart pumping) in the 45 - 60 minute a day, 5-6 days a week is sufficient for simple weight loss purposes. Greater levels of activity are mostly a means to improve performance, and not really needed for simple weight loss or general health. The real key is to manage the caloric input.

this and other messages are inspirational.
Old 10-15-18, 09:17 AM
fiat0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will closely monitor my mileage. My initial goal is 5 miles per day. Then 7, then 10. It's the question of time and having commitment.
Old 10-15-18, 09:38 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I started with almost no cycling...and lost about 70 lbs just walking (A LOT). Walking ramped up from about 4000 steps/day to 18.000+. I tried to average about 2200 calories a day.

After 70 lbs, I started riding once or twice a week at 10-15 miles. Then I did a 25 mile ride and got more confident...I started scaling up. I'm at 125/week or so right now. Unfortunately my calorie in take is averaging more about 2500 now.
Old 10-15-18, 11:17 AM
fiat0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IME, walking is a lot more difficult than riding. Not just physically, but it's kind of slow and monotonous. A bike ride is almost like an amusement park device, the wind in your ears, the scenery changing fast. I don't have a strong grasp of the calories expended biking vs walking but everything happens at a faster pace, and I am sure if I found some hilly areas I could get a good work out in 45 minutes. Of course an hour or two is better if I can find the time.

Bottom line for me was, I could not walk, out of boredom probably more than anything else but I can ride.
Old 10-15-18, 11:20 AM
fiat0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I started with almost no cycling...and lost about 70 lbs just walking (A LOT). Walking ramped up from about 4000 steps/day to 18.000+. I tried to average about 2200 calories a day.

After 70 lbs, I started riding once or twice a week at 10-15 miles. Then I did a 25 mile ride and got more confident...I started scaling up. I'm at 125/week or so right now. Unfortunately my calorie in take is averaging more about 2500 now.

18 thousand steps, that's about 10 miles of walking IIRC. Depending on one's stride. an estiamated 3 hours a day. that's commitment.
Old 10-15-18, 12:01 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by fiat0
18 thousand steps, that's about 10 miles of walking IIRC. Depending on one's stride. an estiamated 3 hours a day. that's commitment.
I'm slightly compuslive
Old 10-15-18, 01:27 PM
blackhawkpro

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Townie Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down 143 so far this year

389 in January, weight loss surgery in March. Ride six days a week, 10 to 15 miles a day. Current weight 247, goal weight is 189 by March 2019. My bike is a major part of my plan to keep loosing weight and sustain my weight the rest of my life.
Old 10-15-18, 03:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
66 lbs down over the last 18 months. I only ride about 2500 miles a year. A large majority of that out doors from april to oct. After that my indoor riding is much less, then I hit the walking track and pool at the gym for winter activity.
Old 10-16-18, 09:03 AM
fiat0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhawkpro
389 in January, weight loss surgery in March. Ride six days a week, 10 to 15 miles a day. Current weight 247, goal weight is 189 by March 2019. My bike is a major part of my plan to keep loosing weight and sustain my weight the rest of my life.

Wonderful and thanks for the inspirational quote. 10 years ago I was 186, gained almost 100 lbs in the last 10 years.

I am allergic to walking to be perfectly honest. I used to walk a lot but at 260+ do not find it palatable.
Old 10-16-18, 09:08 AM
fiat0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing that is perfectly clear, biking is a far more efficient way to exercise than walking. Per mile, given that bikes are so efficient as a form of transpiration, you burn fewer calories than walking *but* it shields your joints in the knees, etc from shock and wear. I like that. And I can get the cardio up better than with walking. You also zoom through one mile on a bike in 5-7 minutes. that is otherwise about 20 mins of walking or so.

Given you get faster on a bike from point A to point B, the ratio varies between 3 and 5, maybe 3 miles on a bike=1 mile walking? Anyway, I find riding more mentally stimulating and am completely bored with walking.
Old 10-20-18, 03:46 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
down 55lbs since last December
ride 15-30 miles/week during baseball season
it's 15 miles round trip to the ballpark and back.. two games/week usually.
Would love to do some color tours here in the fall, but the weather has been CRAP.
I credit the diet more than the bike.
Old 10-22-18, 10:13 AM
Synack42

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
down 55lbs since last December
ride 15-30 miles/week during baseball season
it's 15 miles round trip to the ballpark and back.. two games/week usually.
Would love to do some color tours here in the fall, but the weather has been CRAP.
I credit the diet more than the bike.
Heh, Michigander here too; The weather has been lousy. Felt like winter riding yesterday complete with jacket and gloves...

As for loosing weight, since June I'm down to 275 from 330+. Riding has been really good for keeping the calorie budget in check. If I slip up during the day I make it a point to ride like crazy afterwards until I burn off the damage.

I think watching calories is the key thing though. It was amazing to discover how horribly I was eating before I started logging everything...
Old 10-24-18, 07:08 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
Heh, Michigander here too; The weather has been lousy. Felt like winter riding yesterday complete with jacket and gloves...

As for loosing weight, since June I'm down to 275 from 330+. Riding has been really good for keeping the calorie budget in check. If I slip up during the day I make it a point to ride like crazy afterwards until I burn off the damage.

I think watching calories is the key thing though. It was amazing to discover how horribly I was eating before I started logging everything...
It's not so much the calories, as it is where you are getting them.