Notices
Northeast Rides and Events Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Rhode Island | Vermont

5 Boro Bike Tour

Old 05-04-17, 07:38 PM
MikeBikes725

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 8, Trek 930, Cannondale CAAD2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 Boro Bike Tour

OK, riding in the 2017 5 Boro Bike Tour, do I ride my 2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 or My 2017 Specialized Roubaix? And do I use clipless pedals? or platform pedals with sneakers because of the sheer amount of times I'll be unclipping?

Mike Bikes
Old 05-08-17, 09:12 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I did the ride yesterday, on my fat tire bike. A whole group of us went and we really enjoyed the ride. It was nice and cool, threatened rain but we missed 2 periods of rain. The first one we were on the ferry coming back and the other was on our way home.
The ride was well managed, high security and impressed me.
This is the Strava, https://www.strava.com/activities/975927517
Group pic (I'm in the black windbreaker)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NYC Fat Bike ride.jpg (24.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 05-08-17, 09:14 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, a side note.... I bever felt slowed down by riding the fat bike, we averaged about 11 mph and unlike many others, we had no flats.
Those NYC streets are rough on skinny tires and flats were a problem, as were a few accidents too.
The fat bike tires "hummed" loudly enough that people politely moved over and let us roll past them.
Old 05-08-17, 03:31 PM
Jerrys88

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I noticed a couple of fat tire bikes. You guys must be strong. I understand weight doesn't have that much effect on flats, but what about the hills? What surprised me this year were the amount of elliptigo riders. I didn't know those could keep up with bikes for that distance and with those hills. One rider told me his has 13 gears. Good way to get weight-bearing exercise, which bike riding apparently is not.

Yeah - I got a flat on my road bike, fortunately at the very end, only a few blocks from where my car was parked in Weehawken, NJ. Tiny piece of glass embedded in my tire. Wonder if it happened during the ride (and took time to migrate to the tube) or closer to where the flat happened. No biggie. I don't mind risking a flat now and then as a trade-off for riding my beautiful road bike!
Old 05-08-17, 07:24 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerrys88
I noticed a couple of fat tire bikes. You guys must be strong. I understand weight doesn't have that much effect on flats, but what about the hills?
If you passed our group, we stayed together and wherever we rode, people yelled encouragement at us. So, if you came upon a group of 5 fat tire bikes, wearing bright red and yellow jerseys with "Fat Bastards" printed on them... that was us.
We passed many bikes, even on the bridge climbs, yet we did not race or ride hard, as indicated by my HR average at a low 119 BPM averaging about 11 mph. With 15 pounds of air in the tires, the bikes rolled pretty fast, pot holes were never an issue and no one had a flat. I bet we encountered at least 100 bikes with flats, all skinny tire road bikes.
The elliptical and tandem bikes were definitely out there and doing well. I remember one tandem rider with no passenger, so I joked at him that he lost his passenger, we laughed for a few seconds and then I rode off. I hope to be able to repeat this ride again next year.

Last edited by NYMXer; 05-08-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 07:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
OK, get a quarter. Assign a bike to heads or tails. Toss but don't look yet.

Now, here's the trick. Take a peek. if a particular bike come up, and you're first reaction is a sense of disappointment, even fleeting, then you know you really want to take the other.

OTOH - if the first reaction is great!, then all is right.

But remember hat only the immediate fleeting reaction count, so don't think about again unless you decide that you want to change your mind.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-09-17, 11:12 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
i did the tour this year and loved the experience. this was my 2nd tour. first one was on a trek hybrid and this one was on a rocket - trek emonda sl6 - all carbon. this bike literally flattened the entire course for me and i felt like i could have done it twice and still not have been exhausted.

no flats but you're right, we saw a ton of people with flat tires/changing out tires. unfortunately, i think i saw someone having a heart attack at the end of the festival, on the way to the ferry. several other riders stopped to help. there was an older lady and an older gentleman that had crashed and both were on the floor, the guy was holding his chest and freaking out. i hope they made it out okay (((
Old 02-25-18, 07:16 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
My wife and I are planning to ride this year, and are trying to decide whether to bring our road or hardtail mountain bikes. While I understand you can push the pace if desired, I'm curious what the "average" pace of the ride is? With 30k riders, I've got to believe it's pretty slow, meaning the mountain bikes make more sense. . .
Old 02-25-18, 09:36 PM
MikeBikes725

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 8, Trek 930, Cannondale CAAD2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can get into wave one you can push, but the farther back in the tour the more likely you will experience bottlenecks. There were points where we had to dismount and walk for a period of time till we could get past the bottlenecks. Our average pace excluding the walking was 14mph.
Old 02-25-18, 10:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Here's an alternate strategy.

Register, then head up north a bit and find a nice place to have a leisurely breakfast. Watch the front go by, and give it another hour or so until the rear comes up. Join the group at the back and it'll soon be accordianed open enough that you can ride it at your own pace,and most likely won't catch up to the congestion up front.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-20-18, 08:35 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
My wife and I are planning to ride this year, and are trying to decide whether to bring our road or hardtail mountain bikes. While I understand you can push the pace if desired, I'm curious what the "average" pace of the ride is? With 30k riders, I've got to believe it's pretty slow, meaning the mountain bikes make more sense. . .
The front of the first wave is constrained to 15 mph. The rear of the last wave must maintain a 6 mph speed. Riders can ride at any safe speed between the tour's front and rear.

Faster riders will experience bottlenecks on major uphills that are caused by slower riders in front of them. The major climbs are: Cat's Paw Hill in Central Park; from the FDR Drive to middle of the Queensboro Bridge; the Pulaski Bridge; Hamilton Ave Bridge on the BQE; the Verrazano Bridge.

There will be unforeseen bottlenecks due to evacuating injured riders. Other unforeseen bottlenecks or delays in previous years were caused by: a gas leak along the route; a steam main break that turned the road surface into a tar pit; an inability to clear the route of vehicles and many more.

There is a shortcut that bypasses 4 miles in Queens, including Astoria Park. You must cross over the Queensboro Bridge before 11:30 to avoid this shortcut. There is a cutoff that eliminates the Verrazano Bridge and Staten Island, if you don't go past DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) by 2:00.

If you do decide to forego the start area and join the tour along Sixth Avenue, stay on the sidewalk until the front of the tour passes. The front of the tour is scheduled to enter Central Park at 7:45. The tail is scheduled to be there by 10:35.
Old 11-04-18, 04:50 PM
Garminator

Bikes: Motobecane Elite Adventure hybrid, Rans Rocket Recumbent

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know how quickly registration for the Five Boro Tour sells out? I'm planning on riding with a buddy but were not sure whether we have to register in, say, the first hour it opens or whether we have a day or two (or more).

If anyone else is considering it, registration opens on November 14.
Old 11-04-18, 06:05 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garminator
Does anyone know how quickly registration for the Five Boro Tour sells out? I'm planning on riding with a buddy but were not sure whether we have to register in, say, the first hour it opens or whether we have a day or two (or more).

If anyone else is considering it, registration opens on November 14.
It won't sell out in a few hours, but it does sell out every year so don't wait too long.
Old 11-04-18, 08:51 PM
MikeBikes725

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually sells out in a few days

the tour usually sells out fast, but this is the first year that they’ve sold tix in November. You can join as a member and register a week early.
Old 11-05-18, 01:41 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I am quite a long way from New York but I really want to ride this ride.
Old 11-16-18, 12:31 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by deephate
I am quite a long way from New York but I really want to ride this ride.
People come from all over the world to ride this ride, surely you can make it from Iowa.
Old 11-16-18, 12:48 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
Riders use all kinds of bikes; usually not a problem. Have volunteered as a marshal a few times on different bikes.
Here, I'm on a folder(Brompton S6L-X):
Here, I'm using a roadbike(Fuji Newest 1.0):

And yes, registration fills up. Sometimes in a day.
Old 01-15-19, 09:50 AM
Mannym21

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride but I wouldn't suggest clip in pedals if you aren't comfortable enough to make so quick dismounts. People were wiping out constantly last year. I lucky enough to be in wave 2 last year and there was times where it was wide open and other times where it was dead stop congestion.

Central Park was a treat with no traffic. We were able to pick up some good speed and enjoy those curves. Fun ride but you can never lose sight of the fact that it's meant as a family event, not a race.
​​
Old 01-15-19, 01:27 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Happy for you that you had a good time. Would you recommend
it to somebody whose never done it?

Have done it many times in clipless pedals; no problems.
I only ride clipless. Doesn't matter if it's a 100 mile charity ride,
short trip to the store, exploring another country, etc.
Here's me volunteering on another charity ride; even slower
than Five Boro Bike Tour. Clipless as usual:
Old 01-18-19, 01:19 PM
Mannym21

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Happy for you that you had a good time. Would you recommend
it to somebody whose never done it?
I would certainly recommend it. Especially if your not a native New Yorker. Taking the ferry from SI and ending up on Verrazano Island side was a well planned move by my buddies. Whenever you have the opportunity to ride on NYC roads with traffic completely block while absorbing all the scenery you jump on it!