Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best way to charge your phone while cycling

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best way to charge your phone while cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 03:31 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
True, this could happen. Unlikely, though. These sensors are rugged and mounted directly on the hub (speed) with silicone gaskets. Mine stayed put for the past 4 years, including quite a few rough roads. We also use magnets on other bikes and have had to readjust them frequently.

But you are right. One day, one is bound to escape. So totals could be off... (Not sure that this is critical, i.e. a spare should be carried. But interesting thought). Next year I'll add "change gaskets" on my to do to bike list
Old 05-27-19, 12:56 AM
flash84

Bikes: Dunlop Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using the power bank method, make sure to use a short cable as you loose charge the longer the cable is. The power bank has a solar panel too which takes a week to charge fully in the sun, but it provides a little extra power I guess.

I highly recommend the OSMAND app too as others have mentioned. Works completely offline. You can contribute to the map as well and put new cycle paths on it as you go.

If you're lucky enough to have an electric bike well then you can usually tap into the power system to charge your phone. (Just a side note, I have set up an e bike forum if anyone is interested in joining )

Last edited by flash84; 08-07-20 at 04:12 PM.