Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Niagara Cycle apparently bankrupt

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Niagara Cycle apparently bankrupt

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 03:06 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
In the past Niagara Cycle had great deals but I could never get through by phone and email took days to get a reply back. I had an issue today and asked on here for help because I "knew" no one would answer. Then I recalled it was a new business and called "The Bike Shop". Instant answer, got the help I wanted and ordered.

I think we are a little wary because the "old business" died suddenly but it is a new company and it can't be expected to be big right off the bat.
Old 04-26-19, 06:06 PM
PeaceByJesus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Why do they have to tell you the reason they closed.?? And why do you question their prices.?? Fact is, Niagara Cycle is no longer doing business. And that's that. Do they owe you something.??

I've been into TheBikeShop to check it out. It's a nice shop. They have lots of bikes on the floor and a fair selection of accessories on the shelf. TheBikeShop is NOT .... Niagara Cycle. It's a different business model. I would say TheBikeShop is your average small bike shop with a wide range of products they have access to. No, no where near the inventory of what Niagara Cycle had. Niagara Cycle is history. Get used to it.

Different building. New location is off of Niagara Falls Blvd. very close to the airport
Just how is "wondering about what the reason was for the closing of Niagara Cycle" some sort of demand to answer? And why is it wrong for a past customer to mention the substantial increase in prices in the context of wondering what happened how this store may be different and in the interest of what kind of competition this will provide? If you noticed, there have been posts about what happened, and whether it was actually under new ownership versus a new name was not clear, for the site looks the same overall and myself and another user found that you can log into TheBikeShop using out old login info. But nowhere are my inquires demands or requirements, though in the context of what Niagara failed to provide i mentioned that overall good communication is essential for a business, unless you are a monopoly.

And unlike Niagara, the new owners responded quickly, without any animus against being asked such questions, and now we at least know that what we see are a majority of the products that were available at Niagara's closure, and that the new owners are diligently working to add new products every day.
Old 04-26-19, 06:15 PM
PeaceByJesus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
In the past Niagara Cycle had great deals but I could never get through by phone and email took days to get a reply back. I had an issue today and asked on here for help because I "knew" no one would answer. Then I recalled it was a new business and called "The Bike Shop". Instant answer, got the help I wanted and ordered.

I think we are a little wary because the "old business" died suddenly but it is a new company and it can't be expected to be big right off the bat.
And the old business web site looked just the old Niagara site except for the name change, and I also had called the new owners twice and no one picked up, and thus I hoped that sending the email did not end up the same way. When it did not but I received an informative reply, then I thought some here would be interested in and appreciate the latest info.
Old 05-26-19, 08:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
apparently (3rd party says ... moved to smaller place ), now as DBA .. https://thebikeshopstore.com/products/
Old 05-26-19, 10:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
apparently (3rd party says ... moved to smaller place ), now as DBA .. https://thebikeshopstore.com/products/
Oh, fer crying out loud read the thread. New company, bought the web domain.
Old 06-11-19, 05:58 AM
smith_Jr
Smith jr

Bikes: Kestrel Tri bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still, people searching for their product on the online. They redirect their official website niagaracycle.com to thebikeshopstore.com
Did you guys ever order any bicycle part from their new site?
I am thinking to order fat bike kit box from them. Although I am not sure about their product quality. Thanks for the tread here on Niagara cycle.
Old 07-20-19, 02:06 PM
dparks

Bikes: 1970 Gitane, 1989 Schwinn 564

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK. I have not ordered anything from Niagara Cycles replacement The Bike Shop, but I was getting ready to place an order this week. Their site now shows a "Down for Maintenance" note???? I remember that was how the trouble started with Niagara. Has anyone out there successfully placed and received an order in July????
Old 07-20-19, 02:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by dparks
"Down for Maintenance"
OUCH!!!

I have to wonder if their previous fiasco caused irreparable harm to their business.
Old 07-21-19, 05:12 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use Chain Reaction Cycles and Wiggle with good results.
Old 07-21-19, 06:24 PM
dparks

Bikes: 1970 Gitane, 1989 Schwinn 564

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I checked their web store and it is back up. A lot of items I want to order are "out of stock".
Old 07-21-19, 06:53 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I actually bought a couple of small parts from them last Tuesday and they have been delivered. Maybe I got them just under the wire?
Old 07-21-19, 08:37 PM
PeaceByJesus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dparks
I checked their web store and it is back up. A lot of items I want to order are "out of stock".
What kind of parts are you looking for? You may be interested in the thread Current bargains on some cheap parts. Except that they may not be current any more!
Old 08-29-19, 06:34 PM
brownplus

Bikes: lynskey mt29, kona explosif 26", breezer jetstream oldschool, diamondback wcf vertex SS

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank Goodness niagara is gone

Have ordered feom just about everyone online since there was an online. Gave up on niag years ago due to no customer service, 2-3 week delivery if they even had items in stock that they adverr. They sold.
Weak as water...on par with bikebling..selling stuff rhey dont have...blah.
Go with treefort, bells, modern, spc, wheelsmiths, jenson, chain reaction even...pay a tiny bit more but get what you ordered and on time. My experience with 7 diff. Orders from niag was ... i dont need this hassle for the discount given...from 2009 till 2015...they sent wrong parts., or never sent anything and would only reply to cc or paypal cases opened against them...if even then

Hope they never resurface...they dont deserve it..and performance doesnt either.
Bring back LBS