Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help with Decision on Winter Break Location

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 01:26 PM
panchothepug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm considering riding solo from Monterrey to San Luis Obispo, California, over Highway 1 in four (4) days of riding during the 3rd week of March 2019. But now I'm very concerned about the weather (rain) and I'm reconsidering rides in other states. My three other choices are:

So. Charm: Charleston - GA Golden Isles | Mar 16-23 | $1,499.00 (Adv Cycling, Fully Supported)
Southern Arizona March 9th to the 15th, Fully Supported as well.
Florida Gulf Coast | Mar 03-10 | $1,299.00 (Adv Cycling, Van Supported)

Let me clarify my weather concern, I don't mind it being a bit chilly in the 60s, but I do mind the rain. Given my concerns, please help me select between these four options: Central California, Arizona, Charleston-Georgia and Florida.

Last edited by panchothepug; 02-14-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 03:20 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I suspect southern Arizona has the lowest probability of precipitation of the tours you've listed. For a few more in that area, take a look at pactour.com -- very well planned and supported tours, plus you get to sleep in motels at about the same price as the Adventure Cycling tours!
Old 02-14-19, 03:33 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Florida is advertised as warm and sunny. But if you're from the west coast, one thing you don't realize is everywhere east of the Mississippi, it rains just about every damn day. Even in summer.
Old 02-14-19, 04:15 PM
panchothepug

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
PDLamb, thanks for the PacTour recommendation. Their average daily mile is between 60 and 100 which is more than what I'm looking for. The mileage by Adventure Cycling is 48, 55, 45, 45, 37 and 23, which is more forgiving and takes the whole day, which, at my age, I like.

PacTour offers an option to ride the morning only and then pack it in at lunch or do the opposite in the afternoon, but I'd rather ride the whole day with some break stops.

Thanks again because these points help clarify my requirements. Most likely, I will go with the Arizona option by Adventure Cycling.
Old 02-14-19, 04:59 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by panchothepug
But now I'm very concerned about the weather (rain) and I'm reconsidering rides in other states. My three other choices are...
Let me clarify my weather concern, I don't mind it being a bit chilly in the 60s, but I do mind the rain. Given my concerns, please help me select between these four options: Central California, Arizona, Charleston-Georgia and Florida.
1. One of these choices is a self-supported ride, the other three are supported tours. Those are a bit different, so I'd probably also decided depending on the type of the trip.

2. I use "weatherspark.com" to look at climate averages. It tells me the likelyhood of rain each day in March is:
~30% in Charleston SC
~25% in Daytona Beach FL
~10% in Tuscon, AZ
~30% --> ~20% in Monterrey, CA
So if you are deciding solely on rain chances, then southern Arizona has the driest climate that time of year.

Another thing to recognize is your east coast locations have a higher average annual rainfall; ~50 inches for NYC, Charleston, Daytona Beach - in contrast to Tuscon ~12 inches and Monterrey ~20 inches... so you are picking part of the rainiest period on the CA Coast, but that is also relative to a lot more arid parts than further east.

Also note that this part of the coast is already drier than further north, e.g. Astoria, Oregon has annual rainfall of 80 inches and over 50% probability all of the days in March.

3. Despite the feedback you received, I personally would still consider a California coast trip. I've done that stretch two different times during the wetter time of year: one in December over Christmas break and once leaving San Jose on March 1st and heading southbound. On both occasions I got some rain - at times even a fair amount (a big storm hit Monterrey just before I left on the Christmas trip, but was drier after; there was five inches and flooding in Lompoc on my March trip)...however, it also seemed that the weather forecasters could often see the storms several days out and if one has some flexibility with days, one might be able to dodge a completely bad day.

However, if the main objective is to dodge rain and a supported trip is preferred, then Arizona looks like it meets your criteria better.
Old 02-14-19, 08:48 PM
panchothepug

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MEV, I'm once again considering Central California. I'm still afraid of the rain but I'm going to take a chance on it and go for the introspective and meditative self-supported option.

I frankly don't see the point in paying $1500 for a trip and having to camp. If I'm spending that much, I should have a real bed to sleep in next to a real bathroom.

From Monterrey to San Luis Obispo, I have priced 3 hotels and 1 AirBnB for $510. I figure I could budget $100 per day and eat like a king. Even at that, I'm around $1,000 and the only thing I don't have is the camaraderie and companionship of a group.

What do you think?

Last edited by panchothepug; 02-15-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Puerto Rico , you can still help their hurricane repair,

Or book a week end at the Esalen institute,, looking over the ocean from their natural hotspring fed pool is hard to beat..
Old 02-20-19, 02:52 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Understand that here in the desert of southern Arizona which extends into half of southern California, "rain" equates to sprinkles. It doesn't actually rain here except on occasion.
Old 02-21-19, 02:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Old 02-21-19, 02:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Understand that here in the desert of southern Arizona which extends into half of southern California, "rain" equates to sprinkles. It doesn't actually rain here except on occasion.
And those occasions in the desert, are Flash Floods .. be wary of 'Dry' Creek beds

a storm over the horizon,
can dump a lot of water over a short period of time.. into that creek's headwaters..