Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Condition of Virginia Creeper Trail ???

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 06:33 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts

I'm planning to ride the trail sometime in the next few weeks. I was hoping that someone could report on the current condition of the trail surface. Given the amount of rain this spring, I wonder if it suffered any deterioration.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-19, 07:21 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I'm planning to ride the trail sometime in the next few weeks. I was hoping that someone could report on the current condition of the trail surface. Given the amount of rain this spring, I wonder if it suffered any deterioration.

Thanks in advance.
I haven't ridden the Creeper in almost a year. I live about 120 miles away and have ridden it almost every year for the past 25 years. Rainfall has never really been an issue with the trail. I've ridden it when it's very wet, and also during downpours, and the trail holds up fine, although you may get mud and water in every orifice. One year some flooding did knock out a trestle for almost a year, but they had a detour.

Bottom line, don't worry about it, although if you go when it's been very wet, things may get a bit soupy.

Last edited by Rogerogeroge; 05-14-19 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-19, 04:07 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
I haven't ridden the Creeper in almost a year. I live about 120 miles away and have ridden it almost every year for the past 25 years. Rainfall has never really been an issue with the trail. I've ridden it when it's very wet, and also during downpours, and the trail holds up fine, although you may get mud and water in every orifice. One year some flooding did knock out a trestle for almost a year, but they had a detour.

Bottom line, don't worry about it, although if you go when it's been very wet, things may get a bit soupy.
Rogergeorge I have a question. I guess the big draw is for people to get a van ride to the top of the trail and coast back down. I want to peddle up on my own starting in Damascus but I am not sure how hard it is to pedal up it. I know a lot of people can do it in their sleep but I don't fit that category. Can you give me your thoughts please Thanks
Old 05-15-19, 04:24 PM
Rogerogeroge

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Rogergeorge I have a question. I guess the big draw is for people to get a van ride to the top of the trail and coast back down. I want to peddle up on my own starting in Damascus but I am not sure how hard it is to pedal up it. I know a lot of people can do it in their sleep but I don't fit that category. Can you give me your thoughts please Thanks
It's about a 1,700 ft. climb over 17 miles, so 100 ft per mile is less than 2% grade, and it's very steady. Not steep, but it is harder than riding on flat ground.
Old 05-16-19, 11:00 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Thanks @Rogerogeroge. We're going to give it a go next week.
Old 05-16-19, 07:46 PM
Rogerogeroge

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Thanks @Rogerogeroge. We're going to give it a go next week.
Post a ride report!

A couple more bits of wisdom -

Regarding the rain, if it is wet, fenders are very nice to have, but not completely necessary. They may not make any difference to you, but your companions will thank you. And you won't look like you ***** while hanging upside down.

It can get quite a bit cooler on White Top, which is 1,700 ft. above Damascus. And weather has been very mild this year, so keep that in mind.
Old 05-19-19, 06:07 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
It's about a 1,700 ft. climb over 17 miles, so 100 ft per mile is less than 2% grade, and it's very steady. Not steep, but it is harder than riding on flat ground.
Is the trail compacted? I guess this is a crushed stone/gravel trail correct?
Old 05-19-19, 03:46 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I climbed it a few years ago and it isn't bad. Just settle into a steady pace and don't expect to get much opportunity to "coast". The biggest issue that I encountered was when they released a bike group from the top, many of the riders never considered the fact that someone might be riding up the hill instead of going down it. I had several near misses. More than a few people seemed to be unfamiliar with how a bicycle works. I assumed that some of them had not been on a bike in years.
Old 05-19-19, 03:49 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Is the trail compacted? I guess this is a crushed stone/gravel trail correct?
Its pretty smooth and hard packed in most places.
Old 07-08-19, 11:23 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I agree about many coming down from Whitetop not having a clue, when we do the ride we get the first shuttle from Abingdon to Whitetop so all the climbing is on the section between Damascus & Abingdon few people ride.

coffeesnob • if you do ride from Damascus to Whitetop do it as early in the day as possible.
Old 09-09-19, 09:48 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
My wife and I rode the Viriginia Creeper Trail from White Top to Abingdon on Saturday, September 7, 2019. The trail was in excellent condition, weather was perfect. There were some leaves down on the trail, not enough to be a significant traction issue yet, but I can see where as the trail becomes covered with leaves in many places, they might cause problems.