Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 01-24-19, 05:28 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I really want one of those Ritchey Breakaway single speed frames. Bad.
Old 01-24-19, 08:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,632 Posts
they make SS ones now? They are cool bikes. My MTB is Ritchey. I wanted a Road Logic for a while before I bought my Giant (TCR).
Old 01-25-19, 10:10 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
they make SS ones now? They are cool bikes. My MTB is Ritchey. I wanted a Road Logic for a while before I bought my Giant (TCR).
They used to.
Old 01-26-19, 08:06 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Went to the dentist today.
In the course of chit chat while he was working, he mentioned that he was looking into getting a new road bike.
The brand he's looking at? Pinarello.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-27-19, 05:13 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I've been continuing my search for my Kilo TT. It was stolen Friday night while I attended a Whitey Morgan show downtown. I'm super bummed. Barely had any miles on it since it's last transformation
Old 01-27-19, 07:39 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Went to the dentist today.
In the course of chit chat while he was working, he mentioned that he was looking into getting a new road bike.
The brand he's looking at? Pinarello.
Well, naturally. I mean, as a dentist, he probably has big piles of money laying around everywhere and he's running out of ways to spend it.

I have a few roadie friends who ride Pinarellos and swear by them as the greatest things with which the bike gods have ever blessed us. To be fair, these guys guys know their stuff, and they are really good cyclists. I just cannot bring myself to save up five digits of dough for any bike. Sure, they're nice, but I think in the real world they're only marginally better than many bikes selling for 1/3 their price.
Old 01-27-19, 08:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
You can get a Pinarello Gan with 105 for $2500.

There are Dogma F8 frames for less than $3500 right now at R&A Cycles. Throw on a set of last year's Shimano C24 wheels for $750 and an Ultegra group, swap in bars and saddle from your old bike and an enterprising cyclist could have one for $5k. I thought about buying one of the frames and just porting parts from my current bike.

I can't remember where but someone had Dogma F10 frames used at trade shows and dealer demo/display for under $4000.

-Tim-
Old 01-27-19, 08:12 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse
Today I've been continuing my search for my Kilo TT. It was stolen Friday night while I attended a Whitey Morgan show downtown. I'm super bummed. Barely had any miles on it since it's last transformation
That really stinks man. Lost a Trek 4500 MTB that way once. Worst feeling ever. Hopefully you have the serial number so you can report it stolen?

Dave
Old 01-27-19, 08:19 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
That really stinks man. Lost a Trek 4500 MTB that way once. Worst feeling ever. Hopefully you have the serial number so you can report it stolen?

Dave
Unfortunately I don’t... for whatever reason I totally spaced writing it down with that frame. I’m keeping a close eye on Craigslist / offer up in hopes it might appear.
Old 01-27-19, 08:47 PM
bonsai171

Unfortunately I don’t... for whatever reason I totally spaced writing it down with that frame. I’m keeping a close eye on Craigslist / offer up in hopes it might appear.
Bummer.. At least it is a totally unique bike, so it will be easy to spot. IIRC there is a way to set up alerts on Craigslist and ebay to see if any similar bikes are listed for sale based on given search criteria i.e. "kilo tt" or "campagnolo" .. pick something notable on the bike basically. They will email you if something similar shows up in your area.

Dave
Old 01-27-19, 09:26 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bummer.. At least it is a totally unique bike, so it will be easy to spot. IIRC there is a way to set up alerts on Craigslist and ebay to see if any similar bikes are listed for sale based on given search criteria i.e. "kilo tt" or "campagnolo" .. pick something notable on the bike basically. They will email you if something similar shows up in your area.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I didn’t know that, I definately will do that. Unfortunately this is all too common in Downtown and south Tucson. I’m gonna hit some pawn shops nearby tomorrow. I’m also going to the local bike co op to see if they have any used frames in my size to build another bike for locking up. If anyone has any used / vintage steel 52-54 cm they’re looking to get rid of holler!
Old 01-28-19, 09:29 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

There are Dogma F8 frames for less than $3500 right now at R&A Cycles. Throw on a set of last year's Shimano C24 wheels for $750 and an Ultegra group, swap in bars and saddle from your old bike and an enterprising cyclist could have one for $5k. I thought about buying one of the frames and just porting parts from my current bike.

I can't remember where but someone had Dogma F10 frames used at trade shows and dealer demo/display for under $4000.
That's the approach I'd take if I were in the market for a fancy Italian carbon race bike. But I'm not.

I think my friends bought new and didn't get the Dogma but whatever is the next model down. Of course, these guys are too good for last year's Shimano wheels. ENVE all the way! And of course, Record EPS group. I'm sure they're into their bikes at least $10k each.
Old 01-28-19, 11:45 AM
bonsai171

Thanks Dave, I didn’t know that, I definately will do that. Unfortunately this is all too common in Downtown and south Tucson. I’m gonna hit some pawn shops nearby tomorrow. I’m also going to the local bike co op to see if they have any used frames in my size to build another bike for locking up. If anyone has any used / vintage steel 52-54 cm they’re looking to get rid of holler!
I have a Schwinn Letour that is about that size, will have to check the seat tube dimension. It has a threaded fork, and I have a seatpost for it too. It has horizontal dropouts, and used to be my regular fixed gear. IIRC it is 4130 Chromoly. I re-painted it a few years ago, though the paint isn't the most durable. The only thing is that it has a little damage to the seat tube. I don't remember how deep, but filled it in with a little bondo (grinder damage from the guy who stole the trek lol). That damage isn't too deep iirc. Yours if you want it for cost of shipping. If that sounds good I can check the dimensions for you tonight. Might be a good project bike for you. Btw, it has a set of water bottle braze ons too.

Dave
Old 01-28-19, 12:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Saturday I did this.

Old 01-28-19, 07:25 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Schwinn Letour that is about that size, will have to check the seat tube dimension. It has a threaded fork, and I have a seatpost for it too. It has horizontal dropouts, and used to be my regular fixed gear. IIRC it is 4130 Chromoly. I re-painted it a few years ago, though the paint isn't the most durable. The only thing is that it has a little damage to the seat tube. I don't remember how deep, but filled it in with a little bondo (grinder damage from the guy who stole the trek lol). That damage isn't too deep iirc. Yours if you want it for cost of shipping. If that sounds good I can check the dimensions for you tonight. Might be a good project bike for you. Btw, it has a set of water bottle braze ons too.

Dave
That sounds like something I would be interested in. Thank you Dave! I’m gonna send you a PM with my contact information.
Old 01-28-19, 08:27 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Today I learned that I was riding on a broken master link. I was 9 miles into my 35 mile ride and I was going up a steep, but short hill when I heard a pop. I kept hearing a nasty noise every 3 to 10 pedal strokes, but it did not get worse. I stopped and looked at the wheel, cranks, bottom bracket and front chain ring and saw nothing wrong. The chain moves as expected so I kept on riding. Today I did my commute and the noise was still there. Tonight in the comfort of my garage I had a good look at the chain and saw 1/2 of the master link was broken :-0. The crazy thing is I rode 26 more miles with 1000+ feet of climbing. I hit 30 mph in places spinning 150 rpm. In addition I commuted 19 miles today with a couple of hills and it held with just one side.

Looking at the fracture surface it was a fatigue failure. I have 30k miles on the bike and I have gone through a couple of chains, but I may have put on an old master link with a new chain. Who knows. I am glad it held.

Broken Master Link

Broken Master link

I was 9 miles into my ride when I heard a snap.
Old 01-28-19, 08:33 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwjoe

Broken Master link
Gnarly... but it makes sense that it held up. There was no way for the pins to come out as long as the front clip held up
Old 01-28-19, 11:39 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Well, naturally. I mean, as a dentist, he probably has big piles of money laying around everywhere and he's running out of ways to spend it.

I have a few roadie friends who ride Pinarellos and swear by them as the greatest things with which the bike gods have ever blessed us. To be fair, these guys guys know their stuff, and they are really good cyclists. I just cannot bring myself to save up five digits of dough for any bike. Sure, they're nice, but I think in the real world they're only marginally better than many bikes selling for 1/3 their price.
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Yup and he wanted an F10.
I just quipped back that the F12 is coming out the next tour de france

I had a dogma 65.1 a couple road bikes ago and it was a good bike. Shame it didn't fit my abby normal proportions as well as something bespoke.
I also have a close friend that exclusively buys pinarellos. He played a big part in the purchase decision of the above.

Nonetheless if I had to buy another carbon frameset, it'll be a Canyon perhaps. They're really putting out good stuff and gearing up to sell bikes stateside.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-29-19, 05:42 AM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts

Gnarly... but it makes sense that it held up. There was no way for the pins to come out as long as the front clip held up
I would think all the stress being on one side of the link, especially climbing hills would be too much. I guess not. I am glad it held because many of thise roads are way off the beaten path and my wife was away from the area.

I know you only get a few hundred yards if you forget to put the little clip on the master link. DAMHIK.

Ride Safe,

Joe

PS: Today I will be taking the geared bike with studded tires to work. Snow is a coming...
Old 01-29-19, 08:11 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Stay warm bmwjoe! I'm headed to Fiesta Island for 2x20 minute intervals. Feeling spry, so I'm aiming for ~4.2 w/kg on each.
Old 01-29-19, 02:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Smashed em at 99% (3 w over target) and than again at 101% FTP. Wasn't tired enough so I threw in a 3' at 123% going up Bachman Place heading back home. Nice!!!

Gonna hit up a 3-3.5 hr ride on the Wabi before work tomorrow. First hour or so before daylight.
Old 01-30-19, 02:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Scratch the 3 hour ride on the fixed gear, starting getting a little feverish and nauseous last night and didn't feel much better this morning. At home from work. The lady was mildly sick over Su/M so I think that I picked that up. Damn.

Also both of my races this weekend were cancelled due to weather. I don't even know what to do with my life anymore!!!
Old 01-30-19, 04:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by TMonk
I don't even know what to do with my life anymore!!!
"Competitive recovery"

Rest, nutrition, massage, contrast baths, steam room, hydrate, hydrate more, more rest...

Go into recovery mode full-on as if you are training for the world championships.
Old 01-30-19, 05:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Sounds like a plan. I'd like to be well enough to train hard again by Friday so I better get to it!
Old 01-30-19, 06:13 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Today I woke up to -22 temps outside. It's since improved to a relatively balmy -15, but that's apparently still cold enough to make you feel like you burned your hand on a hot iron if you're foolish enough to grab an outside doorknob without gloves on. Eff Wisconsin winters...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.