Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Giant REVIVE (Recumbent?)

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 03:48 PM
philrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The title sort of sums up the question.

I "was" in the market for a Hybred, and test rode a Giant Cypress today. I was ready to buy when I saw a Revive on the floor.

I sat on it, played with all of the adjustments and was impressed with the comfort of the riding position.
The sales guy refered to it as a 'semi" recumbent and offered a test ride.

I was interested enough that I pulled back my money for the Hybred until I do a little "research" on the Revive.
I declined the test ride as I tend to be impulsive on these types of purchases and didnt want to fritter away more than twice the $ the Revive cost vs the hybred.

Also, I was looking at the base model @ $645, and would like any positive/negative comments on this bike VS the DX model @ $895.

I am also looking (early considerations) at a RANS Fusion, so dont please dont fuss at me when you see a thread posted about that bike.

thanks
phil
Old 09-01-04, 07:03 PM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have two Revives and think they are great comfortable rides. My wife needs relative to the Revive and finances are about to change so hers is for sale. It has just been posted to eBay and would save you some money. In any case, I recommend the lesser model for one reason--the gearing. The earlier Revives didn't have good climbing gears (we changed ours) and the deluxe model has a closed system which means you can't change it. If you live where there are no hills then it doesn't matter.

CS
Old 09-02-04, 03:59 AM
ruchai

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have the standard 7 speed revive and like it. I did not take the DX because it weighs much more and the hub gear is not as efficient as the derailer. It is my first encounter with a bike company that sell lighter model for less than the heaier model! The revive is the most comfortable bike I ever had. I had it for four months and ride it 17 km daily. Had give me no problem.

The only thing I do not like about the Revive is that it weighs 19 kgs. Hard to transport in small car. The weight does not effect it's performance much though. The Revive is not suitable for hill climbing with the standard setup.

Because of the problem of transporting the Revive in our small car I just bought a new Giant Halfway for when I want to take along a bike. It is not as comfortable as the Revive but foldable and much lighter and looks just as nice!

Ruchai
Old 09-02-04, 07:10 AM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The standard Revive is eight speed not seven and Ruchai echoes my point about the gearing. The new standard models now have a 12/32 rear cassette which is a big improvement. We changed ours to 11/34 cassettes which is even better on both high and low.

CS
Old 09-02-04, 07:39 AM
philrush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 good points about the extra wieght of the DX and the gearing.

I am planning a test ride today, and had actually planned on the DX, but will now reconsider.

The gearing doestnt bother me much now, as I am planning basic, flat roads and hard packed trails.

On an earlier post, I mentioned that I am a BIG boy (56 years old) and 300 lbs.

My plan is some short distance riding to suppliment walking, as a means of exercise, and to use it as a "get around" vehicle when I am using the motorhome.

At 1st, I thought I wanted a Hybred and rode a Giant Cypress yesterday. At my wieght, I wasnt comfortable at all, and spotted this Revive on the floor.

I am considering a purchase of the REVIVE, and a possible purchase of the Hybred in the future to "add" more options for me.

thanks for the comments.
Old 09-02-04, 12:38 PM
sukispop
Errand Boy for my girls

Bikes: Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philrush
I am also looking (early considerations) at a RANS Fusion, so dont please dont fuss at me when you see a thread posted about that bike.
phil
Hi Phil,

If I get your "drift" from your statement that I quoted above, you're concerned that folks here are gonna "fuss" with you because you've posted separate threads about different bikes, asking owners of these bikes to comment on them.

--I don't think you have any worries here--Many of us do the same thing when we're researching bikes that we're considering buying. When there aren't a lot of "professional" reviews available, the next best thing is to go to a forums community and ask for comments by people who actually own and ride the bikes you're researching. And most of us are more than happy to share our comments and experiences. After all, it's returning the favor, right? There weren't any Rans Fusions(one of the other bikes that you've posted about) available for me to look at in person, sit on, much less test ride. And it's tough for me to make a fairly expensive purchase on something sight unseen. So I went to the forums, did a search on the Fusion, and found a couple of really helpful threads that helped me to make the decision to buy the Fusion. And, as I've posted in reply to your Fusion thread, I couldn't be happier with the bike. It simply is the best bike purchase that I've ever made...and, better yet, it's one of the least expensive bikes that I've ever bought, too!

While I haven't ridden a Revive, I have seen one at our LBS, and have read a review on it in RTR(Recumbent and Tandem Rider Magazine). As some of the other folks here have commented, it's apparently a comfortable bike to sit on and ride. While its style isn't quite my cup of tea, many people find it a handsome and futuristic-looking bike with a certain zoom-zoom aesthetic quality. I kinda prefer the cruiser bike look with elegantly curved frame tubing and less "stuff" on the bike...but it's all good...to each his/her own! I've read that the Revive is not a good climber, but it sounds like Giant's addressed this to some degree with improved gearing...but even then, I think the Revive is really meant to be a recreational, flat-land comfy cruiser...not meant to challenge any hill climbing or land speed records.

Another bike to check out, Phil, is the Electra Townie...it's a sort of semi-recumbent, with the crank/bb moved slightly forward, and the seat nice and low, allowing riders to be able to have their feet flat on the ground while remaining seated at stops. Sheldon Brown, a bicycle ghuru, has written some very nice things about the Townie on his website.

My friendly suggestion, Phil, is to hold off buying your bike until you've had a chance to test ride all of the bikes that you're researching...If possible, try to get a test ride on a current model Fusion, since the new version probably won't be available until close to Christmas, or even later. Where do you live? There are Rans dealers in most states. Test ride the Revive too...and maybe even that other semi-recumbent made by KHS(I think that's the company) that kinda looks like the Revive...then you'll know which bike feels the most comfortable and natural to you...and that's really the most important thing.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-02-04, 04:11 PM
ruchai

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, my Revive has 8 gears. At my age (74) I seldom use the 8th gear! The other fact about the DX is that you will not be able to repair the back tire on the road. The cluster at the real wheel are so complicate i could not figure out how to remove the wheel. The Revive come with slime filled tires though.

ruchai
Old 09-02-04, 05:25 PM
philrush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

I have made up my mind to get one of these.

Because ao the extra wieght, complexity of the rear set up on the DX, AND the extra $150 in cost, I ordered the base model in red.

I test rode one in the shop yesterday, and again today, and it really is a nice bike for "local" riding.

I initially began my search by looking at a Gian Cypress hybred and had some real dificulty ridig it the other day. I thought it was because of my size (300#) but, after riding the Revive, I spent some premium time with a different sales person on setting the bike up. When I rode it today, it was like a totaly different animal than the one I rode 2 days ago!!

I like both bikes so much, (and really need the exercise), that I am seriously considering buy BOTH, and using the Cypress for the more "difficult" terrain.

Again...thanks for your replys and comments

phil
Old 09-06-04, 10:43 AM
guardrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure you get the 11/32 rear cassette
Old 09-09-04, 06:05 AM
Swizz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would one need a different derailleur for that as well?
Old 04-04-05, 10:16 AM
ramblerdan

Bikes: 2004 Giant Revive DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, new user here.

Just bought an '04 Revive DX from a shop that has no interest in and little knowledge about this type. An initial observation is that the square channel frame and non-diamond shape makes it hard to mount accessories made for typical tube frames. So far I have mounted a water bottle holder with long hose clamps encased in clear plastic tubing (so as not to scratch the paint), and I have a pretty good idea about mounting an air pump.

My next priority is panniers, but the suspension makes it impossible to mount both at the rack and at the hub or bottom "tube." Have any Revive owners out there found or fabricated panniers? Thanks.
Old 11-11-15, 06:00 AM
MonDale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I am new member, brought here to find out if anyone has located a parts list for the Revive. A good friend has one that is missing the rear suspension pivot bolt. A local bike shop noted that for her and put 2 large zip ties in the hole where it belongs, and then recommended she be very careful riding it. I have no idea what is supposed to be in there. Help!
Old 11-11-15, 06:45 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MonDale
Hi. I am new member, brought here to find out if anyone has located a parts list for the Revive. A good friend has one that is missing the rear suspension pivot bolt. A local bike shop noted that for her and put 2 large zip ties in the hole where it belongs, and then recommended she be very careful riding it. I have no idea what is supposed to be in there. Help!
You'll probably have to have a machine shop fabricate the missing pivot bolt. If you can locate a Revive manual illustrating one that can be made. I think it would be your only option as Giant discontinued it and does not stock NOS parts for the Revive.

By the way, its a crank forward bike, not a recumbent.
Old 11-11-15, 01:27 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Slide 8 shows a photo of the shock assembly. Don't know if that shows enough to help you.
Luggage Carrier; Shock Absorber Adjustment - Giant Revive Owner's Manual [Page 8]
Old 11-11-15, 07:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It seems like a shop that handles higher-end suspended mountain bikes would be able to help. I'm just guessing, but it seems like Giant would have used standard parts whenever possible; and that's sure one place it would make sense.
Old 05-31-18, 09:02 PM
Cathcycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just a Revive DX and the steering stem has too much slack. There is instructions in the manual, but no pictures. Does anyone know how to fix this...thanks
Old 06-01-18, 09:52 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I realize you are new to this site having just joined so please take this comment with the kind advice it intends.

The Giant Revive is a crank forward bike. True recumbents have the cranks in front of you and higher compared to this bike. This section is mostly read by recumbent bike or trike owners. So, you should ask your question in the Bicycle Mechanics section https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/ where they are better prepared to answer your question. Also, it is perfectly acceptable to start a new thread rather than tack your question on to one that was started 14 yeas ago. That way you can put a title on it that actually is the subject of your post.
Old 06-01-18, 12:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The Giant Revive had that weird stem, and I don't know how the headset was adjusted -- or what kind it was. It seems like any bike shop worth its salt would be able to look at it and figure it out, though.