Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Concerns on purchasing used Specialized XC comp

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-30-18, 12:56 PM
TMX
Motorist Apologist

Bikes: 1998 Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a line on a 2008 Specialized XC comp, asking price $550. Haven't seen it in person yet, but the pics look good. The bike is described as 'under 500 miles' and 'barely used', but the the seller says in has a new chain, cassette, cables and shifters. This is what concerns me.

The only reason I could see to replace those items on a low-mileage bike is either long-term exposure to weather or physical damage from a bad wreck, etc.. When asked, the seller said bike never wrecked and stored indoors always, but did not elaborate further. If true, then the bike probably has a boatload more miles and usage on it than the seller claims.

I'm an ex-roadie, this is my first mountain bike purchase. I'd be interested to hear what others more experienced with this type of bike think based on what I've described?

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 09-30-18, 01:51 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Every used car advertised as "all highway miles, driven by old grandma and stored in heated garage". For bikes without a reliable odometer it seems "only ridden twice".

New chain after 500 miles would be very short, and a new cassette even shorter life than one expects unless it was 500 miles in mud without cleaning once. since it has new shifters, i wonder if the owner upgraded to more speeds and hence the new cassette?

You always can look at it and decide. You always can offer less to make up for wear... but if the seller is dishonest, there may be more to it. Seems you already have a bad feeling and that may be founded.
Old 09-30-18, 11:06 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I just put a new chain on my new bike after 500 miles going by my strava records. I don't think I did anything funky, it just wore quicker than normal this time. The things you need to be more concerned about is the fork and rear shock. Find out what has been done to those. Even if that 500 miles thing is 100% accurate they are still 10 years old and at the very least the fork will need an oil change and the rear shock a basic service. One easy thing you can do if you go to look at it is push the rear wheel side to side and look for play in the rear suspension pivots. If there is noticeable play in them it has some miles on it. Just make sure the play is in the pivots and not the rear hub, easy fix with an old cup and cone style hub which this bike might have.

and never been wrecked lol. It is a mountain bike of coarse it has been wrecked.
Old 10-01-18, 12:31 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by TMX
Hi,

I have a line on a 2008 Specialized XC comp, asking price $550. Haven't seen it in person yet, but the pics look good. The bike is described as 'under 500 miles' and 'barely used', but the the seller says in has a new chain, cassette, cables and shifters. This is what concerns me.

The only reason I could see to replace those items on a low-mileage bike is either long-term exposure to weather or physical damage from a bad wreck, etc.. When asked, the seller said bike never wrecked and stored indoors always, but did not elaborate further. If true, then the bike probably has a boatload more miles and usage on it than the seller claims.

I'm an ex-roadie, this is my first mountain bike purchase. I'd be interested to hear what others more experienced with this type of bike think based on what I've described?

Thanks,
-Bob
If you have more money to spend I would look at a more modern mountain bike with 29" tires and better geometry. Things have a come a long ways since 2008 on mountain bikes.
Old 10-01-18, 02:51 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
+1 for something newer as this is your first mountain bike. Things have changed quite significantly in the last ten years and a few more dollars will get you something vastly better than anything from ten years ago in the entry level arena.
Old 10-03-18, 10:02 PM
TMX
Motorist Apologist

Bikes: 1998 Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Budget is a concern on this one; while I do have the means to purchase something new and modern, I've kept the budget intentionally low just in case I decide mountain biking isn't for me. The idea is/was that if I'm still doing it six month from now and still enjoying it, then I would commit to something newer and more capable. If not, I can sell whatever it is I end up with without taking the depreciation hit. My criteria is, full suspension, Deore-or-better/comparable shift components, from a well-established, quality manufacturer. Within the limitations of my budget, that pretty much puts me into bikes of this type and vintage. A few more dollars - say, $700 or so, starts to put the 2008-2009 26" Stumpys in range, but otherwise anything newer w/27.5 or 29s & full suspension in my area, at least at the present, seems to start around the $1k mark.

I guess the question I'm left with....would you say that the difference between a ten-year-old fs bike w/26s vs a newer bike is enough to keep a newbie from enjoying it, or are we just talking the difference between something functional vs the latest and greatest?

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 10-04-18, 02:40 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by TMX
I guess the question I'm left with....would you say that the difference between a ten-year-old fs bike w/26s vs a newer bike is enough to keep a newbie from enjoying it
Yes. Between the improvements to suspension, brakes and geometry it's not even a question.
Old 10-24-18, 04:18 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Not even in the same galaxy, for $125 more.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/d...717428161.html
Old 10-24-18, 07:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Not even in the same galaxy, for $125 more.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/d...717428161.html
I believe the XC Comp the OP is looking at is a full suspension.. The trek you linked to is a HT.
Old 10-24-18, 08:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by TMX
I guess the question I'm left with....would you say that the difference between a ten-year-old fs bike w/26s vs a newer bike is enough to keep a newbie from enjoying it, or are we just talking the difference between something functional vs the latest and greatest?
I am going to go against the grain here and suggest that while MTBs have changed a bit over the ten years since 2008, it is not the quantum leap some are making it out to be, and I would definitely NOT rule out an FSR from 2008. It will definitely NOT hinder a newbie or really any rider from fully enjoying the sport or from riding at a pretty high level.

Things have changed a lot in the past 20 years, but the biggest changes (and vast improvements) IMO happened before 2008. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that things DID make a quantum leap in the ten years PRIOR to 2008.

The changes since then are refinements and improvements, but not game changers IMO. The most significant ones are wheel size and geometry. In terms of wheel size, 27.5 basically replaced 26. (29" was already making inroads in 2008). It is an improvement, but it is not a huge difference... not like going to 29. And as far as the geo goes, again it is a refinement (longer, lower, slacker) but even in 2008 things had come a long way from the 90s. A few upgrades like a wider bar and a shorter stem will help a lot, or go up a size to get the longer top tube so you can run the really short stem.

Unless something has happened in the past 2 years that I missed, I don't think rear suspension has really come all that far since 2008. Again, just tweaks and refinements. Mostly it has been more companies going with more anti-squat. IMO a little too much. There were at least half a dozen mini-link designs out by 2008 (e.g., DW-Link, VPP...). Those really did make a big difference. To this day the best performing suspension design (for my preferences) was a 2008 DW-Link design. Specialized FSR had been around for years, but it worked, they were constantly tweaking it, and it is still a viable option.

Forks at the highest level have gotten quite a bit better, but the RS Tora fork that comes on the 2008 FRS Comp is a solid fork. Nothing fancy, but comparable in performance to new forks that would come on a $1500 FS bike today. And that fork is incredibly easy to work on. It is easily rebuilt to a like new state for $40 in parts, is easily upgradable to the MC damper that came in the more expensive forks, or the current damper can be tweaked.

So honestly, I don't think a 2008 FSR is going to hold you or back at all.

The issue is simply that it is a ten year old FS, and may be nearing the end of its low-maintenance days. You could be looking at an overhaul of the fork, shock, and suspension bearinings. If you are not really familiar with these things it can be hard to tell when looking at the bike.

IF the bike is really truly not ridden much and is in EXCELLENT condition, and it fits you well, I think that this will serve your purposes very well, and honestly you may end up riding it for a while before upgrading to something newer for $3K (which is where the really nice new stuff starts, IMO)

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-25-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 10:24 AM
prj71

Oofta Kapusta...so much incorrect info that you laid out there.

I'll just leave these here...

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/revolution...sixteen-years/

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/15...untain-biking/
Old 10-25-18, 11:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

If you actually read my post, I was talking about what has changed since 2008, not 1988.
Both of the links you just shared are talking about what has changed long before 2008. The first was comparing a bike from 2000, and the other covered developments all the way back to the early 90s (aheadset).

Other than wheel sizes and the geometry tweaks (that I already mentioned), almost everything on that list in that post had happened BEFORE 2008:

Disc brakes? Check
Aheadset? Check
Modern suspension? Check
Modern rubber compounds? Check
Riser bars? Check
Dropper posts? Check
Tubeless tires? Check
Angleset headset? Check
Chain retention devices? Check
Lock on grips? Check
Carbon? Check
Thru axles? Check
29er wheels? Check

(other than an angleset and chain retention device, I personally owned every one of these things in 2008)

What we did not have in 2008:
Clutch RD's
Stock 1x drivetrains

So, please tell me specifically what I was inaccurate about.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-25-18 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 11:51 AM
prj71

The suspension. There have been great changes in not only the pedaling efficiency of rear suspension to counter pedal bob but just the suspension itself is light years ahead of what was available in 2008
Old 10-25-18, 12:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by prj71
The suspension. There have been great changes in not only the pedaling efficiency of rear suspension to counter pedal bob but just the suspension itself is light years ahead of what was available in 2008
Uh, no. You have 2008 confused with 1998.

What do DW-Link, Santa Cruz's VPP, Giant's Maestro, and Niner's CVA, all have in common?
----They were all around in 2008. And they all worked well.

And linkage driven single pivots and Horst Link designs are still used by many companies today.

As I said (if you read it) there has been a move towards more anti-squat, but that is really a small tweak, and I doubt your average rider will even have much of an opinion as to whether it feels better ridden back to back. If they do, they will probably prefer it on a smoother climbs, less so on rockier ones.

And in terms of forks, in 2008 you had the Rock Shox Lyrik and the Fox 36 line. Hardly the dark ages of suspension forks. But more to the point, the Tora on that bike was a lower-mid level fork that totally holds its own against comparable current offerings. Just a tad heavier.

I hate to be condescending, but I think your grasp of the timeline of MTB development is a bit fuzzy. Your link to those articles shows that pretty clearly.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-25-18 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 10:05 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

I am going to go against the grain here and suggest that while MTBs have changed a bit over the ten years since 2008, it is not the quantum leap some are making it out to be, and I would definitely NOT rule out an FSR from 2008. It will definitely NOT hinder a newbie or really any rider from fully enjoying the sport or from riding at a pretty high level.

Things have changed a lot in the past 20 years, but the biggest changes (and vast improvements) IMO happened before 2008. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that things DID make a quantum leap in the ten years PRIOR to 2008.

The changes since then are refinements and improvements, but not game changers IMO. The most significant ones are wheel size and geometry. In terms of wheel size, 27.5 basically replaced 26. (29" was already making inroads in 2008). It is an improvement, but it is not a huge difference... not like going to 29. And as far as the geo goes, again it is a refinement (longer, lower, slacker) but even in 2008 things had come a long way from the 90s. A few upgrades like a wider bar and a shorter stem will help a lot, or go up a size to get the longer top tube so you can run the really short stem.

Unless something has happened in the past 2 years that I missed, I don't think rear suspension has really come all that far since 2008. Again, just tweaks and refinements. Mostly it has been more companies going with more anti-squat. IMO a little too much. There were at least half a dozen mini-link designs out by 2008 (e.g., DW-Link, VPP...). Those really did make a big difference. To this day the best performing suspension design (for my preferences) was a 2008 DW-Link design. Specialized FSR had been around for years, but it worked, they were constantly tweaking it, and it is still a viable option.

Forks at the highest level have gotten quite a bit better, but the RS Tora fork that comes on the 2008 FRS Comp is a solid fork. Nothing fancy, but comparable in performance to new forks that would come on a $1500 FS bike today. And that fork is incredibly easy to work on. It is easily rebuilt to a like new state for $40 in parts, is easily upgradable to the MC damper that came in the more expensive forks, or the current damper can be tweaked.

So honestly, I don't think a 2008 FSR is going to hold you or back at all.

The issue is simply that it is a ten year old FS, and may be nearing the end of its low-maintenance days. You could be looking at an overhaul of the fork, shock, and suspension bearinings. If you are not really familiar with these things it can be hard to tell when looking at the bike.

IF the bike is really truly not ridden much and is in EXCELLENT condition, and it fits you well, I think that this will serve your purposes very well, and honestly you may end up riding it for a while before upgrading to something newer for $3K (which is where the really nice new stuff starts, IMO)

I think Kapusta hit allot of good points and if this bike is in good shape it would be fine for a tester bike and even more possibly

My concern would be mostly condition and the shocks and their function

I ride a 29r (Piviot 429c 2014) now and was actually in the market in 2008 and ended up going with a hardtail at that time Stumpjumper HT Comp

I still have it and ride it and the 26 wheels are fine

If the bike is in decent shape and fits well for the cost I think it a bargain

my 2008 has been ridden crashed used abused but only like for 1 or 2 rides possibly more any scratches on the bike are from my cat

Last edited by Gallo; 10-28-18 at 10:10 PM. Reason: forgot one thing