Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

225mm crank arms for huge person?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

225mm crank arms for huge person?

Old 10-29-18, 10:07 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH

Also, I understand that to some extent, triathlon racers optimize their biking to help their total time- not just their biking time. So I've read that supposedly the tri-bike position helps you in the running. The point being, that triathlon wisdom might not be the optimum choice for bicycle-only use.
Triathletes may be just more motivated to question conventional wisdom, especially when it comes to the cycling portion of the race since just being competitive on the bike is all a good runner needs to be a contender. The trend to greater skepticism of the accepted standard when it comes to optimal crank length I think is mostly based on what many see is a false notion of greater leverage with the longer crank... false in that the crank is only a part of a system that includes another lever -- the size of the cog on the wheel. So, greater leverage of one component of the system is seen to be a minor factor compared to the potential for maximizing power by better utilizing foot speed to increase RPMs.
Old 11-22-18, 12:47 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
"you marry the frame, but date the parts", yeah except for bottom bracket height as it relates to crank arm length, thinking an "average" bb height and 210 cranks might cause some issues. Regardless, let us know how your build goes.

Brian
Old 12-06-18, 10:50 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I did a 210mm build a while back. Happy to share the experiences. Mine is a Gunnar based upon a 64cm.
I've also got a couple of the cranks laying around if you're interested. They were pretty hard to source - Triple from ZInn and a double from High Sierra...

LAXPatrick
Old 12-09-18, 10:21 PM
crankarmbreaker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by laxpatrick
I did a 210mm build a while back. Happy to share the experiences. Mine is a Gunnar based upon a 64cm.
I've also got a couple of the cranks laying around if you're interested. They were pretty hard to source - Triple from ZInn and a double from High Sierra...

LAXPatrick
Hi Patrick,

Briefly, can you tell me whether you liked the 210 mm cranks? Did you go faster? How much do you weigh?

Eric
Old 12-10-18, 06:45 AM
laxpatrick

In general, no regrets trying it out. Glad I didn't drop too much $$$ on a Ti frame and value the experience of building a totally custom ride.

I find that I like the longer cranks in the hills. Less so on the flats - I find that spinning with the bigger circle is harder to keep smooth at a high cadence. Noticed it was harder to keep the hips still spinning over 90RPM.

Did I go faster? Not significantly. I just found that I like the longer cranks on hills. Where I live we have short, steep hills and lots of 'em.

I'm about 250lbs this time of year.

LAXPatrick
Old 12-10-18, 08:35 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by crankarmbreaker
Hi guys!

Wow, I took a few days off from checking the thread, and now there's all this interesting advice. The shop called again to ask if I wanted more info before committing, and we talked about cranks, and the fitter said that it was actually 210s that he was recommending on this custom frame that he's proposing to build. And, he said not to get too worked up over that number -- you marry the frame, but date the parts, in his words. So I probably will go for the 210s and see how that works.
I'm glad to hear that. As an average sized man I wouldn't begin to venture an opinion, but I was concerned because just by ratios of height that number is much more in line than 225.
Old 12-12-18, 04:59 AM
laxpatrick

Yeah, 225 is NUTS. I'm a freak at 6'8"...
Old 12-12-18, 05:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I thought IRD used to make 210 or 220mm cranks, but it looks like they only sell 200mm cranks now. But, they are some of the cheapest.

https://store.interlocracing.com/irdexlocrar.html

Apparently a couple of styles of longer cranks here... but the prices are quite a bit higher.
Zinn Cycles: Joseph Kuosac mountain bike cranks
Zinn Custom Cranks::Extra long integrated spindle cranks
Zinn cycle :: custom cranks :: long bicycle cranks:: short bicycle cranks

Most of the mainstream manufacturers cut off at 180mm.

Personally I like a little longer cranks, but in a good aero position, one runs into the limit of the knees hitting the stomach.

Hopefully you had some long cranks on the bike fit bike to try out before dropping several hundred bucks into really long cranks.
Old 12-12-18, 09:32 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Seems like a great idea for tall people.

I have 180's on all of my bikes and like them a lot. I never tried going to 200's mainly due to the price. The IRD's are nice,and a decent price, I just wish they came in black.
Old 12-16-18, 06:07 AM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I’m a little late to the party but after reading the entire thread, I thought I’d toss in my opinion.

Im 6’3” but I have arms and legs like I should be 6’8” and have a cycling inseam (pubic bone height) of 38.5”. That’s 978mm. According to Zinn’s website, I should be riding on 200-210mm cranks. I have tried both and I’m not going back to anything shorter. I don’t care what anybody says.

IMO the conversation becomes unhelpful when people start talking about how tall a rider is. It has nothing to do with overall height and everything to do with how long the legs are. Most tall men are long in the torso and not all that tall in the legs. For most tall women it’s the opposite, but very few women get much beyond 6’ and I speculate that 175mm cranks probably fit them as well as they do, tall men with their average inseam and long torso. . That’s why 175-180 cranks work well for most tall people and that s why they are readily available. But what about long legged folks? We don’t fit in most cars, can’t sit comfortably in an auditorium, wear shorts most of the time because finding pants long enough is a real problem. Then there’s the issue of bicycles.......

I found a brand new KHS Flite 747 for a remarkably low price on eBay a few years ago. It’s the XXL model with 200mm cranks. (I’m sure the XXXL would fit me better but it’s not gonna happen at full retail ). A few months later I found someone parting out a XXXL of the same bike. The frame was gone but I bought the 210mm cranks and bolted them on the XXL.

My initial reaction to the 200’s was- where have you been all my life! From the first pedal it felt right. The 210’s felt immediately different and took a while to get used to. I haven’t hurt my knees and I haven’t significantly lowered my cadence from the 175’s. (I wasn’t all that fast to begin with) What I have experienced is actually fitting on a bike for the first time in my adult life without constantly feeling like I had to push myself off the back of the bike to open up my legs. And the 747 is really well designed in that I experience no pedal strike even with my size 15 shoes with the cleat all the way back.

As as far as marrying the frame and dating the parts goes. I’d really question that philosophy, no, I’d reject it completely if the conversation turned to crank length. BB height and crank length (within a few mm) go hand in hand. The 747 has a BB height 25mn higher than normal because it is designed for longer cranks.

After riding my Zinn designed 747, I’d have no problem choosing one of his bikes again if I rode enough to justify a $5,000 bike. Maybe as a retirement present......
Old 10-25-19, 07:51 AM
225cranks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
225 crankarms

Longer worked for me,i'm using 225's on my hybrid road bike and they've improved my cycling no end.
175's came as standard and never felt right,195's were duly fitted and were a vast improvement and led me to lengthen the 195's to 225 and fit them.
Again the best cycling mod I've ever done to a bike.

I've just been doing the math for the above and here's what i've achieved thus far:-

On 175's my set up was 48/38/28 x 7 at 28/24/21/18//16/14/12 cassette,my cadence is 60-90 rpm,i'm not a spinner.
My comfort gear was 48x24 and if I pushed it 48/21,all on the flat in neutral conditions.
As soon as I fitted the 225's all changed for the better,i went upto 48/16 and 48/14,so as you can see the extra 50mm loped off 8t and only left me 1 gear for descending.
So I enquired at my local bikeshop and Pete the proprietor advised changing the chainrings,so on his advice I went upto 54/44/38 on 130 bcd,54 was the largest he had in stock at the time.
I fitted them it helped a lot,i may go 60/48//38 when funds allow,but for now my set up is:-
225's 54/18 for lazy day cycling and 54/16 when i'm in the mood to push it until I run out of puff.
All in the same cade range and no extra effort,watt wise on my part.

Last edited by 225cranks; 10-26-19 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Extra Info
Old 10-28-19, 11:01 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I'm 6'5" with long torso short legs. I have tried a 190mm crank but that ended up hurting my right hip joint for some unknown reason. I ride 180 and 175mm cranks because of the weird hip issue with 190's. I actually tried the 190mm a couple of times just to make sure that was causing the issue. 180mm cranks make my legs feel great and I have two bicycles set up with them. I have two more bicycles set up with 175's which are better for my legs than 170's. But 180's are the best size for me. I've been riding 180's since 1971. Shorter cranks don't allow my muscles to work properly. Longer cranks are hard to find and pricey. I ride legacy steel frame large bicycles from the 1970's and 80's. I have never had a problem with front wheel interference or ground strikes. My frames are 66cm and 68cm tall. These fit me no matter if I have an upright position or a more racy position. Comfort on a bicycle is paramount or you just won't ride it. Proper bike fit is the main ingredient for comfort. In the 1970's I road raced and ended up with a 55 tooth front chainring and a 13 tooth high gear on my freewheel gearset. I could pedal at 35mph but some racers geared even higher and sprints at the end of races would see speeds higher than 35mph for a short distance. My latest multispeed bicycle uses a 32 tooth high gear on the front and an 11 on the back. I can't pull higher gears any more except going downwind and downhill. so I don't and I just coast.
Old 10-28-19, 11:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I'll defer To Lennard Zinn Frame builder for tall people and Column Writer for Velo News ,
who offers a long arm crank sets .

Zinn is the master of bikes for big people. VeloNews came out with an article about him and the bike he built for a 6'7" 350 pound rider and a line of "stock" bikes they started for really big, strong people. (That rider brought his weight down to 250 but in doing so became so strong he could break just about any bike.)

https://www.velonews.com/2019/10/bik...-riders_500561

The article doesn't mention crank length (as I recall) but Zinn has talked about it many times in the past and had made or had made very long cranks and the bikes to put them on.

Ben
Old 10-30-19, 05:24 AM
225cranks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my road bike when it was fitted with 172.5's pedaling was problematic at best.
By that I mean it felt too cramped,too squashed in,i never felt at one with the bike,195's felt slightly better but still not right.
The 225's I now use are on a MTB frame and I've used the 700c wheels off the road bike to replace the 26'' wheels that were on the MTB and also fitted pedal extenders to widen my foot position and the combination of the 2 has transformed my cycling.
All the hip,knee and ankle twinges I experienced on long runs are now a thing of the past.
I've had to raise my seat height 2'' because of the longer cranks but i can still tuck into an aggressive posture should the need arise,for head winds and such.

Last edited by 225cranks; 10-30-19 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-30-19, 07:54 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
225mm cranks? You would have to be the Jolly Green Giant! Sounds to me they have some old stock in the back room the want to sell you. 170mm to 175mm max!

Last edited by tim24k; 10-30-19 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 01:09 PM
225cranks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol,Jolly Green Giant,no but my inseam is 34in from floor to saddle top so I can use the 225's comfortably,all I did was to lengthen the 195,s by 30mm and they were good to go.
Old 11-01-19, 01:08 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I wondered about that when I read the dimensions on new bikes. It dosen't make sense to me with a 28" inseam, why would my crank arms be only 10 -15 mm shorter than a bike specified for a person with a 36" inseam.

225 mm crank arms for for a very tall man seems logical to me. As long as the rest of the frame geometry is adjusted accordingly.

I think the problem is very tall people are often proportioned differently, so other frame dimensions need to be adjusted to compensate.
Old 11-01-19, 11:03 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 225cranks
On my road bike when it was fitted with 172.5's pedaling was problematic at best.
By that I mean it felt too cramped,too squashed in,i never felt at one with the bike,195's felt slightly better but still not right.
The 225's I now use are on a MTB frame and I've used the 700c wheels off the road bike to replace the 26'' wheels that were on the MTB and also fitted pedal extenders to widen my foot position and the combination of the 2 has transformed my cycling.
All the hip,knee and ankle twinges I experienced on long runs are now a thing of the past.
I've had to raise my seat height 2'' because of the longer cranks but i can still tuck into an aggressive posture should the need arise,for head winds and such.
The discovery of pedal extenders a few years ago was a major revelation and improvement in my cycling pleasure. I use 1" extenders and they appear to be about right. I mostly ride bikes in normal street footwear and the extenders get my big ankle bones away from the cranks and allow a more normal set for my feet on the pedals. I duck walk to some extent and now I duck pedal. Also moving the platform pedals outboard an inch allows room for my whole foot to be on the pedal. I don't get ankle, hip, or knee pains from cycling.