Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 07:35 AM
The300lbCyclist

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Afternoon All,

I am new to this forum, and indeed to road cycling. At 21stone, 300lbs, it was about time I did something about it. Having had several knee injuries over the years I had to stop playing rugby and cannot run, I have taken up road cycling, as of one month ago.
Thoroughly enjoying the time so far, I need to get some wet weather gear in order to continue to enjoy it... I have a Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc 2018, so a reasonable bike to begin with.. I was hoping the discs would give me decent stopping power but it appears with my weight, it is not as great as I wanted. Anyway, I digress...
It appears a lot fo people have taken to cycle to aid in their weight loss journey with some massive/incredible successes. Well done!
Any tips for a newbie? Anything... in terms of cycling tips, equipment, diet, etc. One thing I am particularly keen to understand is required nutrition on longer rides...

Thanks for reading.

Oh, I have a blog if you're interested, in which I aim to document my journey although it seems I cannot yet post URL - see my signature instead

Last edited by The300lbCyclist; 08-17-18 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Various!
Old 08-23-18, 05:30 AM
JasonU71

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum and weighed in at a slim 291lbs yesterday. I recently purchased new Trek Checkpoint ALR5 and began commuting to work on it. I have a 23 mile round trip commute and I’m hoping that the increased activity will trigger weight loss. I did training rides for the first couple months and I averaged 270 miles a month.

August 12th I finally decided that I had built the endurance to make it to and from work, so I started using the bike to commute. I gave myself a break last weekend and I’ve missed a couple days due to weather, but I’ve already biked 321 miles in August. I’m easily on track to break my 400 mile goal for the month and plan to set my September goal for 500 miles. With all the biking that I’ve been doing I’ve yet to lose a pound. My diet isn’t the best, but I haven’t been stuffing cheeseburgers down my face either. I guess it’s time to watch my diet a little closer and keep putting in the miles. As much as the bike is about weight loss for me, I’m trying not to view my rides as strictly a source of exercise. I want my bike to remain a source of enjoyment, not a sadistic torture device that I need to ride 50 miles a day as punishment for being larger than the average American.

I’ve appreciated this forum in the week or so since joining as a source of inspiration and advice. I think I’ll always be a Clydesdale, because even when I was running 55 to 60 miles a week I weighed 220lbs and I’d be ecstatic if I could get back down to that weight. Thanks for having me!
Old 08-26-18, 06:38 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Welcome new additions to the group!

Old 08-31-18, 01:59 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
New Guy

Thought I'd drop in with an introduction. I'm 52 years old and haven't ridden since I was about 20. I just started riding again this past May for exercise and weight loss. I'd started dieting in March and have to date have lost 55 pounds. I was expecting my body to dislike the riding position on a road bike, so I started riding on a Trek X-Calber 7 mountain bike that slowly morphed into a heavy, flat-bar road bike with 33mm road tires and low gears. Yesterday I upgraded to a Specialized Diverge Comp. Much lighter than the X-Cal and geared much more like a road bike (48/32 11-32). I've only got 20 miles on the bike, but I'm loving it so far. I'm about 5'11" and currently weigh 234 pounds, so I've got another 55 pounds to lose.

I've been riding about 600 miles per month. I'm going to try to bump it up a notch to about 1,000 per month.

-Matt

Last edited by MattTheHat; 08-31-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 08:13 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Thought I'd drop in with an introduction. I'm 52 years old and haven't ridden since I was about 20. I just started riding again this past May for exercise and weight loss. I'd started dieting in March and have to date have lost 55 pounds. I was expecting my body to dislike the riding position on a road bike, so I started riding on a Trek X-Calber 7 mountain bike that slowly morphed into a heavy, flat-bar road bike with 33mm road tires and low gears. Yesterday I upgraded to a Specialized Diverge Comp. Much lighter than the X-Cal and geared much more like a road bike (48/32 11-32). I've only got 20 miles on the bike, but I'm loving it so far. I'm about 5'11" and currently weigh 234 pounds, so I've got another 55 pounds to lose.

I've been riding about 600 miles per month. I'm going to try to bump it up a notch to about 1,000 per month.

-Matt
I have a Diverge too, older model so 50/34. You will love that bike!
Old 09-06-18, 02:53 PM
MaddMatt05

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All! I've been lurking around the forums for a while, but I'm trying to get more involved now. I've been cycling for years, but didn't really get into it for more than just riding around town until the beginning of this year. I've been up and down in weight since I've been riding, and I'm currently down from 360 lbs to 300 riding an 1995 Trek 520 and Montague Allston full size folder. I wish I had spent more time looking things over here before I started riding, because I could have saved myself a lot of time and money. Thanks for all the awesome information here, and I hope I'll be able to contribute with some of the stuff I've learned the hard way.
Old 09-10-18, 10:20 AM
Bigbandito
Circus bear

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Starting Again

Hello al! Joined in 2012 but been away for a while.

I rode bikes all the time as a kid, but for some reason stopped completely when I went to college. I also found that as I got older (I turn 56 on Friday) I couldn't eat as much as I could at younger ages and so picked up a lot of weight. I'm 6'5" and reached a high of 380 last fall. Since then I've been working on losing it by counting calories through the "Lose It" app and am down to 292. I'd like to get down to at least 230.

I rode a Fuji Cross 3.0 cyclocross bike for a year or so in 2012-2013. It was a bad choice as it was really too small (60 cm) and the gearing was not the best for a fat newbie (36/46, 11-25). I never really got comfortable on the bike and got tired of riding (and pushing) alone. My brother recently got a Trek Verve 3 as 30 year work anniversary gift, so I began thinking about riding again.

I've been doing my research and have pretty much decided on a 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.1 (last year's model on sale at Performance Bicycles for $100 off). I have rather short legs (34" pant inseam) and a longer torso, so reach and effective top tube length are important to me. The 23"Absolute has the most stretched out geometry of any hybrid I've looked at (43.2 cm of reach and a 62.5 cm ETTL compared to 40.4 and 59.0 on the Cross 3.0 I used to ride).

I would really like to get a drop bar road bike (to do group rides), but I'd probably have to go big bucks to get a 64 cm (Trek Emonda?) and it's hard enough talking my better half into spending the $349 for the Absolute after taking a good size loss when I sold the Cross after a year. I hope to get fit on this bike and find some "little old lady" group rides, and then if things work out better this time around, maybe invest in a road bike in a few years.

Last edited by Bigbandito; 09-10-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 08:15 AM
daveinoh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm fat.....but i'm working on it!

I was 290 @ 5'9 last summer.

Got back into riding late last summer and have made an effort to go at least 3 days a week for 10 miles regardless of pace. That along with better eating (meaning I don't eat directly from the KFC bucket anymore) I'm down to 245 and am hoping to continue. I'm having fun now! I am happy to have rediscovered an enjoyable exercise activity. One more treadmill session and I'd have lost my mind.

I currently ride a Giant Cypress DX but I have an Escape 1 in layaway at my LBS (finally feel like I've earned the upgrade)
Old 09-19-18, 12:37 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never really introduced myself, so here goes. Ten years ago I bought my first bike since being in school at age 38. It was a Scott Sportster45 ( I still Have ) I rode that Bike for 2 years and went from 238 lbs to 215 in a matter of a couple of months. I enjoyed it so much that I decided I wanted a road bike but not anything racey so I went with a Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and off I went. That is until I blew out my L4 and L5 in Late 2015. So, long story short I went from a fighting weight of 215 to a pot bellied weight of 257 ( I'm 5'11" ). I got back on my bike in May and have gotten back down to 225 and still have a goal of 215 before the snow flies.
My biggest obstacle this time around has been getting my average MPH up to 18 to 20. I'm just now back up to a hair over 16 mph avg. I'm currently looking to add a gravel bike to the stable, just doing plenty of research first.
Old 09-23-18, 08:27 PM
adrian089

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,
My name is Adrian, I'm 29, live in Florida, and have live a sedentary lifestyle for the past 5+ years. I'm new to the forums, know little to nothing about bikes other than how to ride one. I hate working out, dieting(has no effect).My ideal weight isn't 200+ lb, but I am about 50 lbs overweight. I haven't ridden a bike in 5+ years, but the last time I rode 5+ miles daily, I had great results. I picked up a dawes atlantis yesterday which I'm in the process of cleaning, replacing cables and tires, and am excited to get started.
Old 09-23-18, 08:36 PM
D804BOY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6' 245

1970 schwinn super sport
Old 09-24-18, 04:12 PM
ZEDRX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
250 lbs here. Back into biking after a few year hiatus. Even at 250, I can keep up with most.
Old 09-24-18, 04:26 PM
Ombre57

Bikes: Got a bunch, my daily rider is a mongrel. Want a good road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just learning a lot of people ride

I'm 5'6" weigh 200, and solid. I have been riding for years. Best exercise next to swimming. I am 60 and in good health. I want to pedal up the east coast from Daytona beach (home) to Boston, Mass. I will get some pics of my bike. It's a mongrel, but good seat, the right gears, keep it lubed well, and it can go fast and feel stable. I am so glad to see the high interest in bikes. Metal to the Pedal !!
Old 11-01-18, 05:13 AM
billm67

Bikes: Jamis Revenge, Fuji Roubaix, Raliegh mountian bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Getting back on the bike after two years off. At 300+I am having serious problems with the knees. So far my rides have been to try to get my knees working again. I figure trying to rehab them by riding is better than going to an Ortho doc. My wife and I have changed our diet and we're doing lots of salads, rice and beans. Just some chicken or fish once a day. The knees have been loosening up and starting to hurt less. I'm in Pennsylvania so I will soon have to start dealing with weather. I've got a long road ahead but I really must keep on this path of my knees are going to be a major problem that limits my ability to lead and active life. Rides are limited so have to about 4 miles but I'm starting to feel like I can go further. Would like to get to the point where I'm consistently riding 6 miles or so 4-5 days a week.
Old 11-02-18, 07:43 AM
t80

Bikes: Kilo TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clyde looking for carbon track clinchers

Just learned what a Clydesdale is after cycling for 6 years. I am 6'3" 220. Happy with my size/weight. Not happy as I search for a pair of carbon track clinchers that don't have 20 spokes.

Mercier Kilo TT track bike
Old 11-28-18, 12:13 AM
BigTex62

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint ALR 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just getting back to riding after a 30 year layoff. Been working out and doing spin classes over the past few years, but looking forward to putting some miles in to try and crack thru a weight plateau and get under that clydesdale threshold. Only need to lose about 5 pounds to do that, but easier said than done. Would really like to drop about 20. Think I am going to try some sprint and maybe an Olympic triathlon next year, and getting the extra weight off this 56 year old body would help tremendously.
Old 12-04-18, 11:23 PM
DeborahRichards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I started cycling 5 years ago before 5 years I was 300 pounds and today i.e after 5 years I am just 150 pounds cycling help me to reduce my weight.
Old 12-07-18, 10:44 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Hello everybody else ^^^^ up there. I'm new to the forums, currently sitting at 203lbs, far from my 170 when I used to ride. Kids, marriage, and a lot of drinking beers on the couch will do that. But I'm trying to get healthy again. Luckily my vintage bike is easily able to handle the extra pounds.
Old 12-07-18, 09:24 PM
Hmmm70
Pete in Michigan

Bikes: GMC Denali road bike, auto-bike, Specialized Fatboy XL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie hello

Hi all, 6'4", 345 here in Mid-Michigan. Just bought a Specialized Fatboy today. Wow, it's a different world than my other bikes. Have always loved biking, looking to get fit again by doing what I enjoy, riding. Great information on here, and seem like an equally great group of riders.
Old 12-09-18, 01:29 AM
Ksyakboy69

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6ft 7 320. Ish raced a 64 cm merkx with 180 mm cracks and mountain strm in the 90s some in early 2000s. Opened business put kids through school handsome how I'm 49 and 300 +lbs
sold the business kids are out in the world its time to get back to a bike.

Looking at a KHS 747 or a Zinn or a XXL khs moutain bike.... Or a Zin gravel bike Or lol
Old 12-21-18, 02:45 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I jumped in without formally introducing myself. My name is Matt. I’m a Clyde- but not in the powerfully and graceful sense... at 6’2” and recently weighing in at the doctor’s office at 350 I knew something had to change. So I started making small changes to my eating.

Next I started on a program my work offers (Omada health) which is a 16 week program to change you eating and exercise habits. So far it is paying dividends: I weighed in this morning at 328.

Elliptical was my my primary mode of exercise but I wanted something low impact that would let me get outside. Even walking was giving me shin splints. That and the ENDLESS peloton adds this season started me thinking biking would be good for me. So here I am, and really my biking adventure begins today! Keep an eye out for that thread when I’m ready later on!
Old 12-21-18, 08:00 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome Matt!
Read through the forum to get lots of info and suggestions on good bikes for heavier riders.
And remember; baby-steps, and keep it fun (or at least interesting)and patience. Personally, I've gotten away from counting miles and think more in terms of time spent on the bike.
Old 01-01-19, 06:44 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Working at it

Hello all. I’m Mike, I’m 6’6” and 57 yrs old and in 7/18 I was 289# and bought a Fuji mountain bike from Performance for $499. I started riding 4x a week, short rides and slow speeds and eating sensibly. I ordered a Lynskey GR 260 as my reward for losing 70#, but it arrived early, I’m only down 60#, but I’ll get there.
I’ve been increasing intensity and distance, and rode 62 miles today at an average of 14.6 mph. My wife has been riding with me, but she never got out of shape. We’re planning on a century in March!
Old 01-01-19, 09:46 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Back, I've had a love hate relationship with cycling. Rode as a kid, and some as a teen with a Sears Free Spirit ten speed through my early 20s... Was in the Navy, got married and missed my bicycle... The Navy was kind enough to send me to Hawaii, and I fell in Love with cycling again.. Five years... Then back to San Diego, rode some, took a bike on the carrier I was on. Rode in Singapore, Australia, Acapulco and got the crap scared out of me in the 15 minutes I tried riding in Hong Kong... Rode less and less. Transferred to the middle of nowhere, met a RAM winner, got a little reinvigorated, but fell away again. Retired from the Navy, weight started creeping up. Fast forward a few years, moved to Utah, had my left knee replaced, and used the bike to recover. And tried to lose some weight. Nine months later, doing good, I crashed badly, broke my back and had fusion surgery. Long recovery. I am LUCKY to be walking. TERRIFIED of hills now. Lost some weight, not a suggested weight loss program though! But, the weight crept back on as I did not feel "sturdy" enough to exercise. Took three years to get back on a bike. A kid I got into cycling in Hawaii sent me a 29er... Of course, I rode it. Not much. But enough for a while. Fixed the bike I crashed on, Rode it a bit, put it on my trainer. Then my right knee started failing, and my right ankle developed a heel spur, I couldn't even ride the bike, the heel spur was bad. 2 years ago had it cut down, but,it had been cutting my achilles tendon, So that was repaired at the same time. Then of course, I sprained my other ankle. Packed on pounds.

Nothing I tried to lose weight worked. Every time I tried to get on the bike, I had an injury. Not bike related. Last year I decided I needed to do something drastic. I looked into weight loss surgery. Then my world fell apart. Dad had cancer, and he passed in a couple months I couldn't get my head together. My weight went up. Finally got my head straight. But I was 378 pounds. I tried getting on the bike on the trainer. But felt too top heavy and afraid I would fall. I was approved for surgery, and took all the classes required, the sleep study, proved I had SEVERE obstructive sleep apnea. Then, the cardiologist scared the crap out of me. Retaining fluid, hard to breathe, swelling in my lower legs... High resting heart rate and high blood pressure. At least I didn't have diabetes. But was in danger... I was prescribed cardiac rehab gym. Oct 22, 2018 I had the gastric sleeve. I had lost 22 pounds before surgery. I've lost 64 since then.

I've got my original bike on the trainer. A 1986 KHS Fiero. Three years ago, I put newer stuff on it. Updated it. Still fine tuning it, But getting back on it a bit most days. Hitting the cardiac gym once week, and the regular gym at least twice a week..I am down 86 pounds since my heaviest. No real goal other than being healthier and more fit. again. Hi. I'm Roger, and I'm trying to be a cyclist again.
Old 02-09-19, 08:08 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I've been on the Bike Forums but for a little while, but I'm new to the Clydesdale forum. My name, obviously, is Garrett.

In short, I'm 320-330 pounds (I don't currently own a scale, but I've been staying within that range for a while now.) I am 5'11" and 19 years old. Heart problems run in my family (both on my paternal and maternal sides) and family members/close friends have been trying to get me to exercise more.

I've been riding a bike for most of my life, although there was a time where I quit after I got my drivers license. Before then, I rode either my 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle 12-speed or Huffy Superia around town to get out or go visit a friend, etc. Since I lived in a town that the Katy Trail ran right through, I often would get on it and ride for a few hours. There was a time where I was riding a bike every day for at least a couple hours, depending on the weather.

One of the biggest issues I have is - and I hate publicly saying this out of fear of humiliating myself - but I don't eat vegetables or fruits. Like a stubborn little kid, I hate them - I'm a very picky eater. I never eat them, which has made my goal of loosing weight somewhat more difficult.

Recently, I'm hoping to get back into shape and "hop back onto the bike." I recently purchased a 2016 Giant Sedona and have been trying to ride even in the winter (I've been posting somewhat frequently on a topic I started in the winter biking forums here.) Unfortunately, it's been so nasty and icy lately here that I have rarely had a chance to hop on the bike for a spin lately.

My goal is to get from 320 pounds to 250 pounds or below.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.