Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacing dropbar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Replacing dropbar

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 09:52 AM
shibui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing dropbar

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in. If not, please let me know which one I should use.

I have a bike with a 3T Aeronova bar on it and as much as I try, I cannot get used to it. I want to switch it out for a basic bar but the cables coming from my 105 shifters run through the 3T bar. Is there any way to make the bar change without having to replace all of the cables?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-18, 10:01 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Replace? As in buying new cables for the new handlebar? You can reuse the cables if you choose to do so. But if you meant having to remove the cables to replace the handle bar...there is no way around that.
Old 11-06-18, 10:04 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
If you can find a way to destroy the handlebar while keeping the cables intact, that might also work. Dynamite would probably be a little too crude. Maybe a bone saw?
Old 11-06-18, 10:22 AM
shibui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
If you can find a way to destroy the handlebar while keeping the cables intact, that might also work. Dynamite would probably be a little too crude. Maybe a bone saw?
A buddy of mine borrowed the bone saw to remove a rear hub without disturbing the spokes
Old 11-06-18, 08:37 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by shibui
3T Aeronova
What? That shape is made of awesome and win. Have you tried rotating it and/or moving the levers? Maybe come at it from a different angle by changing the height?
Old 11-07-18, 08:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Really, the answer is no.

Even if you were to take a saw and cut the Aeronova to remove the cables, the housing is going to be pretty jacked up - internal routing usually forces some random bend in the housing. So, you're probably going to want to replace the cables and housing.
Old 11-07-18, 10:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in. If not, please let me know which one I should use.

I have a bike with a 3T Aeronova bar on it and as much as I try, I cannot get used to it. I want to switch it out for a basic bar but the cables coming from my 105 shifters run through the 3T bar. Is there any way to make the bar change without having to replace all of the cables?

Thanks!
NO.. Easy way is pay a Bike Shop to do it for you,

and you can do what you do better, Instead..

Old 11-07-18, 11:36 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Those are great bars, what exactly can you not get used to? The obvious difference is the shape of the tops but how much time are you spending on the tops vs drops/hoods? I had similar shape bars and when I was on the tops I felt like that shape was more ergonomic. Maybe your bar height/reach isn't set up correctly.

As for your main question, you should be able to replace the bars without replacing cables/housing. You would definitely have to disconnect all of the cables to pull them out of the bars and re-run the cables and reconnect everything and just get some new crimps for the cable ends. That also assumes the cable/housing lengths will be the same or shorter to route with new bars. Also as someone mentioned the cables/housing could have some less desirable kinks from running inside the bar. But if they cables and housing are relatively new then you could try to save them. But personally for $20-30 for a new set of Shimano DA or Jagwire Pro cable/housing I'd just take the opportunity to replace it all if you are going to have to re run it anyway
Old 11-07-18, 12:34 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Really, the answer is no.

Even if you were to take a saw and cut the Aeronova to remove the cables, the housing is going to be pretty jacked up - internal routing usually forces some random bend in the housing. So, you're probably going to want to replace the cables and housing.
^^ This.
I can also see why you may not like those bars too.
I have tried them and in some ways they are good but they do have a long reach and also my wrists would hit the top curve of the bar when sprinting/out of the saddle.
Old 11-08-18, 10:15 AM
shibui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
^^ This.
I have tried them and in some ways they are good but they do have a long reach and also my wrists would hit the top curve of the bar when sprinting/out of the saddle.
The reach is long and it seems I can only set up so either it is comfortable on the hoods/drops, or on the flat bar top. I use both to ride as my hamstings are not flexible so I need both to feel good.

Another problem is where the flat bar turns 90 degrees. Since the cables go in there, there is a ridge so if I ride holding that area, there is great discomfort on my palms.... i know "don't put your hands there!" but I am so use to using that area it is second nature for my hands to go there, and I am too old to break habits like that!
Old 11-08-18, 11:20 AM
shibui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
^^ This.

I have the exact same issue with the drops!