Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Chainline

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 08:17 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Chainline

Building my first fixed gear by myself, and the chainline is off by 3mm. Does it need to be closer, or is it ready for a chain?

Dave
Old 11-07-18, 09:46 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
That'll be fine, chain it up.
Old 11-08-18, 12:06 AM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
the additional friction caused by not having a perfect chain line could cause it to heat up and spontaneously combust though
Old 11-08-18, 04:30 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
The chainline on my daily rider is off by 0.3mm
Old 11-08-18, 05:46 PM
bonsai171

I might have to get it re-dished. The freewheel side is even more off than the fixed side. Probably can't use the freewheel otherwise.

Dave
Old 11-08-18, 07:28 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think 3mm would bother me. At least mentallly. My folder bike was off by about 4 or 5 mm. After replacing the BB and got perfect chainline, it felt it is smoother. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. But I really felt happy that I spent the effort to get it right.
I know what you mean. It will cost $30 to get the wheel re-dished, but it will be worth it not having to figure out the chainline and be able to ride fixed and free.

Dave
Old 11-12-18, 08:23 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Straighter is theoretically better for 4 reasons:

1) The chain has to bend less as it leaves/joins the sprocket and chainring. That's 4 points where it bends. However, modern chains are very flexible and the amount of energy required to bend it is tiny.

2) The vector: if you pull something at an angle to the desired direction, only part of the force is moving it in the required direction. This can be worked out with sines and cosines if you're so disposed, but in reality, a few mm sideways over the full length of your chain stays is negligible as a percentage.

3) Additional friction and noise if it's so far out of line that it starts to "tinkle" on the teeth of the sprocket, like a badly adjusted derailleur. This is an annoyance.

4) Worst case: it's so far out of line that it rides off the sprocket and you have an accident: in effect, the bike spontaneously changing to the next gear when there isn't one!

Each to his own, but:

I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2 (above) too much, given that on my other (geared) bike, the chain is out of line on 9 of the 10 sprockets, whichever chainring I use. (OK, 8 out of 10, as I would never "cross chain" — honest!)

If 3 is noticeable, you certainly need to do something about it before 4 happens.

Of course, if everything else on your bike is absolutely perfectly set up in terms of lubrication of the chain, tyre pressure, seat height, reach and all those other variables, and adjusting the chain line by 3mm is the only remaining marginal gain, you may see things differently. There will always be someone who tells you it needs to be perfect, and someone else who says, "near enough is good enough".
Old 11-12-18, 10:23 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
...There will always be someone who tells you it needs to be perfect, and someone else who says, "near enough is good enough".
And hopefully, that person actually rides a fixed gear and doesn't just imagine it would bother them.
Old 11-12-18, 05:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
The chainline on my daily rider is off by 0.3mm
Wow. I'm impressed that you could even accurately measure that small a deviation in chainline!
Old 11-12-18, 08:07 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I might have to get it re-dished. The freewheel side is even more off than the fixed side. Probably can't use the freewheel otherwise.

Dave
Is this rim off center when you flip the wheel around? Dishing will fix that but not the chainline. Spacers on the axle can be used to adjust chainline and then you have to redish to center the rim.
Old 11-12-18, 08:30 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by hairnet
Is this rim off center when you flip the wheel around? Dishing will fix that but not the chainline. Spacers on the axle can be used to adjust chainline and then you have to redish to center the rim.
The rim is definitely off center. I took it to the bike shop, and they told me that i could use spacers, but the wheel wouldn't be as strong?

Dave
Old 11-12-18, 08:57 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
they told me that i could use spacers, but the wheel wouldn't be as strong?

Dave
Assuming your wheel has the appropriately sized spokes and all, I wouldn't worry about it. Technically that's correct but road and mtb wheels have lots of dish and can take a good amount of abuse when built well. Adding spacers will put more strain on the axle but, again, it's not much to worry about considering you're only moving things around a few millimeters.
Old 11-13-18, 05:30 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Wow. I'm impressed that you could even accurately measure that small a deviation in chainline!
Cant tell if that’s sarcasm or not. but for the record, it took a lot of calliper measuring and quadruple measuring to get that, both before and after the cranks and freewheel were installed. It’s only off, because I had a 1mm spacer (rear chainline is 45.5 and front is 46.8) and not a 1.3mm spacer. But where would you get one of those? The best part is that I’m using a road (DA 7400) crankset and 7400 bb, not a track crankset. But it’s paired with a freewheel mounted to a fixed (DA 7600) track hub. If shimanos stated specs were accurate, the front chainline should have been 46. It was all luck I think, in how the crank mated with the spindle. They were of course both purchased used on the bay.

in fairness though, as long as the chainline doesn’t look obviously skewed, with the naked eye, it’s good enough.
Old 11-13-18, 08:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
Cant tell if that’s sarcasm or not. but for the record, it took a lot of calliper measuring and quadruple measuring to get that
No sarcasm; if you've actually made the effort to measure that precisely — and it appears you have — more power to you.

Most people would simply eye-ball it and call it good enough. Even the Campagnolo "G" tool straightedge for assessing chainline is little more than an assist for eyeballing chainline.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 11-13-18 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 08:33 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

A
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No sarcasm; if you've actually made the effort to measure that precisely — and it appears you have — more power to you.

Most people would simply eye-ball it and call it good enough. Even the Campagnolo "G" tool straightedge for assessing chainline is little more than an assist for eyeballing chainline.
no doubt about it, that getting a remotely accurate chainline measurement is really difficult. And I actually measured my hubs with freewheel mounted BEFORE the wheels were built. But at the end of the day, it’s actually more about how your specific chosen parts mate together. Nothing is ever to proper spec or stated sizes. Also, I’m running single speed, so it’s easier to get a good chainline than with fixed, especially since this is a road conversion, not a track frame. Again, in the bigger picture, it all just ‘worked out’. I will admit to being a bit OCD about this, because I’m really OCD about having the smoothest possible drivetrain and I’m very consciously aware to when anyithing feels ‘off’, while riding. OCD enough that I’ve considered having a 1.3mm spacer machined.

as far as eyeballing it, I think, anything more than 1 or 1.5mm off, can probably be seen with a good eye. So I personally wouldn’t want a chainline that was off by any more than that, especially if I were running 1/8. But I also think anything within the range of about 2mm, is perfectly fine. In large part because that 2mm range can be rectified easily with spacers. But you don’t need perfect measurements to get into that range. What you need are the right parts, and that leaves a lot of room for basic luck of the draw, as far as perfection goes. Most people with bad chainlines, have them because they build something on the cheap and just throw a bunch of low quality parts together hoping for the best. No amount of meticulous measuring will help you there.

Last edited by seamuis; 11-13-18 at 08:44 AM.