Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lets talk puncture protection against Goatheads

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lets talk puncture protection against Goatheads

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 08:36 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raria,
Since you only need the extra flat protection for a couple of months out of the year and you seem to be a bit concerned about costs I would go with thorn resistant tubes. As others have mentioned they are heavy, but so are puncture resistant tires. I feel that a thorn resistant tube in a normal tire usually rides better than a puncture resistant tire with a normal tube. Plus the tubes will cost a lot less than new tires. At the end of your thorn season just switch back to your regular tubes and you are good to go. I have gone as long as 7 years without a flat using cheap tires and thorn resistant tubes. My current grocery bike is going on about 2 years with the same setup. I use tubeless and orange sealant on my good bike and it seals the thornholes quite well. Plus rides nice. For only a month or two of need per year why not just convert 1 or 2 bikes instead of all 8? The tire liners are also a cheap fix, but in my experiences with them they ride rougher than thorn resistant tubes and aren't as good at preventing leaks. They are lighter and cheaper however.
Old 11-09-18, 11:04 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Sealant in your tubes. That is what worked for me. I also have way too many tire/wheel combo and too lazy to convert them all.
This works for me. Tubeless with sealant and if I am not riding tubeless then I put the sealant in the tubes.
Old 11-13-18, 01:18 PM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bryan c.
tubeless tires/wheels. Orange sealant inside. Works well for me. Ymmv.

Edit: There is a pretty good thread about tubeless here.
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-tubeless.html
this