Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Annual "Take My Winter Bike out of Storage" Thread

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 09:54 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts

so with the forecast in chicago calling for our first accumulating snow of the season to start tonight and into friday morning, last night i went down to the basement to dust-off my studded-tire winter steed and get her ready (lube the chain, inflate the tires, make sure the lights work, give the IGH and brakes a check, etc.).

lo and behold, i must have done an inferior job of rinsing her off after last season because the rear brake is completely shot. it looks like corrosion got though the hydraulic line right where it enters the brake housing and all of the hydraulic fluid leaked out.

the front brake is fine, which would be ok for any other season, but i don't like riding in icy/snowy slippery conditions without a rear brake. now i have to decide whether to just roll the dice and ride in the snow tomorrow anyway, or sit-out riding in winter conditions until i can get the rear brake replaced.

there's also the additional decision of whether i should just get a new winter bike altogether instead of spending money on a pricey hydraulic brake replacement. on the one hand, i don't love my current winter bike and we recently came into a little bit of money. on the other hand, it's just a winter bike and she gets the job done. winter abuses bikes, and parts replacements are just par for the course when riding in such salty conditions.

repair what you got, or reach for some new hotness?

Last edited by Steely Dan; 11-09-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 10:55 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Why not just fix it? Some inexpensive parts, fluid and a bleed kit. Then you are all set for future brake maintenance.
Old 11-08-18, 11:08 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ i've never done hydraulic disc brake repair/replacement.

it's intimidating and something i've always left to the pros.
Old 11-08-18, 02:50 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree, just fix it. I'm no bike mechanic and installed new hydro brakes on my MTB and I bled my wife's brakes (Both Shimano). It isn't that hard and youtube is your friend.
Old 11-08-18, 03:25 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've never done them on a bicycle but it's no big deal on the cars and motorcycles I've done this on it wasn't a big deal as long as you have the right parts.
Old 11-08-18, 03:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my recollection of commuting is that there are few, if any stops. but if this is your 1st stormy commute of the year & you have options I'd probably drive or whatever & bring the bike to a shop for an estimate. they can probably bang out the repair speedy quick & have you rolling again soon. get a new bike for sure, but don't rush the purchase
Old 11-08-18, 04:04 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
bring the bike to a shop for an estimate. they can probably bang out the repair speedy quick & have you rolling again soon. get a new bike for sure, but don't rush the purchase
i called my LBS and got a rough phone estimate of ~$80 (~$50 parts/$30 labor).

if i'm gonna buy a new winter bike, i don't wanna sink $80 into the old one.

decisions, decisions........
Old 11-08-18, 04:08 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Repair or replace? How much is it going to cost to get the winter bike back to like new / almost new? How much would its replacement cost? And how many parts could you reuse?
Old 11-08-18, 04:23 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Decent bike with hydro brakes will run you quite a few hundred dollars. $80 doesn't seem an exorbitant/unreasonable amount for the fix.
Old 11-08-18, 04:31 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Decent bike with hydro brakes will run you quite a few hundred dollars. $80 doesn't seem an exorbitant/unreasonable amount for the fix.
it's not exorbitant, but if i'm on the fence about buying a new bike (which i am), i think i'd rather save the 80 bucks and use it towards the theoretical new bike instead of repairing a bike that might be imminently replaced in my stable.
Old 11-09-18, 02:47 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

i rode the winter bike into work this morning.

reacquainted myself with how much rolling on studs sucks.

i decided that i'm gonna go ahead and get my current winter bike repaired and forgo the temptation of a new winter ride.

when i took the bike into the shop to get the correct brake parts ordered, i mentioned my slippy EBB (the main reason i don't love the bike) to the mechanic and she said that it might be worth considering an add-on chain-tensioner if the EBB refuses to sit still.

i think that's exactly what i'll do. i originally got an IGH bike for my winter ride to avoid extra chain appendages like derailleurs and such, but at this point i no longer care, i just want a chain that won't jump off if i roll over a big bump while pedaling.
Old 11-09-18, 05:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan

lo and behold, i must have done an inferior job of rinsing her off after last season because the rear brake is completely shot. it looks like corrosion got though the hydraulic line right where it enters the brake housing and all of the hydraulic fluid leaked out.
I've had problems with hydraulic brakes too during winter, so I changed to BB7s because I don't want to deal with messy brake fluid and brake rebuilds and brake bleeding...BB7's are good but they're not 100% immune to road salt. I still need to rinse the road salt out of the calipers or else they will seize up.
Old 11-11-18, 08:44 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've had problems with hydraulic brakes too during winter, so I changed to BB7s because I don't want to deal with messy brake fluid and brake rebuilds and brake bleeding...BB7's are good but they're not 100% immune to road salt. I still need to rinse the road salt out of the calipers or else they will seize up.
I got rid of my front BB7 after the second winter. I got sick of adjusting the pads every week (only about 25 miles!) in the heart of winter, and of having to totally rebuild the thing every spring. The salt slush just eats pads, and destroys the brake.
Old 11-11-18, 10:14 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Is regular spraying of water enough for you to keep your BB7s happy long-term? I'm asking out of curiosity - I'm running BB5s into the second winter now and prefer to keep them happy.
Old 11-12-18, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I got rid of my front BB7 after the second winter. I got sick of adjusting the pads every week (only about 25 miles!) in the heart of winter, and of having to totally rebuild the thing every spring. The salt slush just eats pads, and destroys the brake.
What are you doing that you have to adjust the brakes after only 25 miles? I’ve never adjusted the pads on my mechanicals and they have hundreds to thousands of miles on them in all weather conditions.

No disc brake caliper would be immue to road salt. They are all made about the same.

Originally Posted by alias5000
Is regular spraying of water enough for you to keep your BB7s happy long-term? I'm asking out of curiosity - I'm running BB5s into the second winter now and prefer to keep them happy.
Just got to say that there’s almost no way to make BB5s happy. BB7s are very good (if a little dated) but BB5s have never been thought of as a good brake.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-12-18, 09:07 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Just got to say that there’s almost no way to make BB5s happy. BB7s are very good (if a little dated) but BB5s have never been thought of as a good brake.
my winter beast has hydraulics, but my regular commuter came with BB5's and i hated them. i could never get them to stay aligned for more than several dozen miles at a time.

after a couple months of aggravation, i gave up on them and got some TRP Spyres. that was 4 years ago and other than brake pad changes, they haven't given me any issues since.

if others have had good experiences with the BB5, that's great for them, but i'll always consider it a garbage brake.
Old 11-12-18, 09:54 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

What are you doing that you have to adjust the brakes after only 25 miles? I’ve never adjusted the pads on my mechanicals and they have hundreds to thousands of miles on them in all weather conditions.

My understanding from conversations with very bike-knowledgeable friends is that there were different generations and earlier ones create trouble. I have ridden other peoples bikes with older BB7s with that problem. My own BB7s work just like you describe,

I thought so too for a long time and in fact have a spare set of BB7s in my basement. But you can make them work well and reliable which I managed to do. Now there is no need to swap - at least for as long as the current set of pads is still good. There are a few threads on this in the bike mechanics forum - including an adjustment method using a business card on the outboard side. This is what is working very well for me. My take is that BB5s are a bit weaker in braking power than BB7s and they do overheat faster, which I already got to experience. They're good enough for commuting and light-touring.
Old 11-13-18, 08:50 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

My understanding from conversations with very bike-knowledgeable friends is that there were different generations and earlier ones create trouble. I have ridden other peoples bikes with older BB7s with that problem. My own BB7s work just like you describe,
The only thing that should have an effect on pad wear should be the pads. The calipers shouldn't matter. I have (and have had) BB7s over a wide range of years including the BBDB (ball bearing disc brakes) that predate the BB7 designation. None of them have ever required excessive pad adjustment. And none of them have required adjustment for pad wear after 25 miles.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-13-18, 09:44 AM
alias5000

The only thing that should have an effect on pad wear should be the pads. The calipers shouldn't matter. I have (and have had) BB7s over a wide range of years including the BBDB (ball bearing disc brakes) that predate the BB7 designation. None of them have ever required excessive pad adjustment. And none of them have required adjustment for pad wear after 25 miles.
I do not think, that it relates to pad wear. It seems that you adjust the brake and that adjustment is lost after a short amount of time. Maybe it's the caliper, maybe the hub, maybe flex plays a role. I do not have any plausible explanation, but I have ridden such a bike first hand.
Old 11-13-18, 02:06 PM
cyccommute 

I do not think, that it relates to pad wear. It seems that you adjust the brake and that adjustment is lost after a short amount of time. Maybe it's the caliper, maybe the hub, maybe flex plays a role. I do not have any plausible explanation, but I have ridden such a bike first hand.
Pad wear is the only thing that pad adjustment can relate to. There is an adjustment screw that moves the pads in and out on the BB7 but that screw is difficult to move and doesn't really vibrate out of place. The hub shouldn't move and the caliper should be solidly bolted in place. If either of those are misaligned or improperly installed, the problems will manifest as something other than pad adjustment nor would pad adjustment have any effect on those problems.

Old 11-13-18, 05:45 PM
Nickfrogger

Bikes: 2014 Trek 520, 1990 Trek 2300 Pro, 1999 Trek 2100, 1991 Trek 7900, '83 Trek 610 (on permanent loan)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's this super-cool low maintenance new bike brake tech I heard about recently:
Old 11-13-18, 08:52 PM
alias5000

Originally Posted by Nickfrogger
There's this super-cool low maintenance new bike brake tech I heard about recently:
...until your v-brake frame mounts start to rust. If you don't have replaceable ones, your (steel) frame is done within 1-2 winter seasons from a rust-clean-abrasion-cycle. *points at myself*.
Old 11-13-18, 10:36 PM
dscheidt

Riding the bike in Chicago winter. Salt, mud, sand. Eats pads. I'd eat three pairs of pads a winter. city traffic, lots of braking. and the road bb7s don't have much room for pad wear before they require adjustment. It's not hard to twist the knobs a couple clicks, but it's annoying. I replaced them with TRP HY-RDs, which went through a couple pads the first winter, and one last. I wasn't happy with them for other reasons, and replaced them with a hylex. Which has been brilliant so far, we'll see what winter's like.

I still have the bb7 on the back, which sees much less use, and much less pad wear.
Old 11-13-18, 10:49 PM
dscheidt

Riding the bike in Chicago winter. Salt, mud, sand. Eats pads. I'd eat three pairs of pads a winter. city traffic, lots of braking. and the road bb7s don't have much room for pad wear before they require adjustment. It's not hard to twist the knobs a couple clicks, but it's annoying. I replaced them with TRP HY-RDs, which went through a couple pads the first winter, and one last. I wasn't happy with them for other reasons, and replaced them with a hylex. Which has been brilliant so far, we'll see what winter's like.

I still have the bb7 on the back, which sees much less use, and much less pad wear. I think I had to take it apart and free it up once, but I don't remember.
Old 11-15-18, 10:19 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by dscheidt
Riding the bike in Chicago winter. Salt, mud, sand. Eats pads. I'd eat three pairs of pads a winter. .
for real? i bike commute through the winter in chicago as well, but i've never gone through 3 pairs of brake pads in a single winter season.

that seems like an extreme case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.