Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

700c Road/Track Fork Upgrade on Vintage Frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 08:28 AM
Nu_ Schwinn

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Varsity - Sold, 6KU Aluminum Track - Daily, 1982(?) Japanese Schwinn Le Tour - SS Conversion, 1998 Trek 470 - Build up, 2009 Felt F75Varsity - Sold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the best way to swap a vintage frame fork to a more modern road or track fork with recessed brake? Does the headset need to be swapped to adjust for the 4mm height diff? Is it even noticeable? Anyone have any pics? I've got a Schwinn Le Tour 21in and a World Sport 23in and trying to decide my upgrades build. Thanks.
Old 11-10-18, 08:36 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Make sure the rake and trail are the same. Replacing a hi-ten fork with a chromoly fork for those models is a good upgrade.
Old 11-11-18, 07:17 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Just go ahead and do it. Only way to learn what all the different factors are.
Old 11-11-18, 08:10 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Are you just doing it to use a recessed brake? If so you can try drilling out your existing fork. Wouldn't spend a ton of money upgrading a World Sport and such.
Old 11-11-18, 11:25 AM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
So I am in the process of doing this "conversion" myself. 2 things..

1. It works..kind of.. The recessed brake calipers will fit and screw just fine.
2. HOWEVER...the calipers and fork have SUCHHHH a tight clearance that some calipers might not work. I tried fitting 2 different calipers, Suntour Superbe Pro, which did not work due to the brake pads rubbing up against the fork. No bueno. Campagnolo Deltas, worked out perfectly till I test-fitted onto a front wheel..the wheel rubbed up against the inside of the deltas so it would not spin..Im thinking of using 1 more washer to compensate the lack of clearance between the fork and calipers/pads and tonight will have a better idea! Hoping this works out for both of us!
Old 11-13-18, 03:02 PM
Nu_ Schwinn

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Varsity - Sold, 6KU Aluminum Track - Daily, 1982(?) Japanese Schwinn Le Tour - SS Conversion, 1998 Trek 470 - Build up, 2009 Felt F75Varsity - Sold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the replies, mainly I was asking because I have a Giant Cadex 980c front fork laying around. Originally intended to put on a Trek 2200 Alpha SL frame, but diddeci not to. I stoppeds my Le Tour to bare metal, and then was trying to decide whether to build back with the original front fork or the Giant fork. Because of the the fork height I could trim down for a Threadless headset, or rethread for threaded we a cool stem.

The fork probably fits the 23in World Sport as is, but will probably just sell the frame as is (too many bike projects).

Was just curious if anyone had done the 700c fork to older road bike frames and thoughts/visuals on it. I have read the front to rear and drilling the front fork rear for recessed. Always an option for the World Sport.
Old 11-13-18, 03:04 PM
Nu_ Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
So I am in the process of doing this "conversion" myself. 2 things..

1. It works..kind of.. The recessed brake calipers will fit and screw just fine.
2. HOWEVER...the calipers and fork have SUCHHHH a tight clearance that some calipers might not work. I tried fitting 2 different calipers, Suntour Superbe Pro, which did not work due to the brake pads rubbing up against the fork. No bueno. Campagnolo Deltas, worked out perfectly till I test-fitted onto a front wheel..the wheel rubbed up against the inside of the deltas so it would not spin..Im thinking of using 1 more washer to compensate the lack of clearance between the fork and calipers/pads and tonight will have a better idea! Hoping this works out for both of us!
What wheel/tire setup are you using?