Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Questions from a RAGBRAI virgin

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 03:43 PM
Mojo GoGo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So RAGBRAI registration opens in a couple days... I'm excited as my son suggested we ride it this coming year and I'd like to get input from others so we can make our first experience fun. I'll be 52 next year and have been a lifelong road rider, used to club race / did some USCF events, now ride for fun with some touring. My son will be 24 and is just starting to get into road cycling. We're both pretty self sufficient and not worried about the daily mileage.

I've searched out posts here on BikeForums, watched a number of youtube videos and scanned the RAGBRAI forums but still have some questions regarding basic logistics that I haven't seen answered. Specifically:
  1. Lines - I hear they're everywhere but haven't heard how long. How long does bag pick up take? How long is the shower line? Would using a charter reduce line wait in a meaningful way?
  2. Best time to start riding - I know bag drop off is 8am. Avoiding the crowd at RAGBRAI is probably not an option (or wanted as that's part of the fun) ;-) but I'd like to avoid peak congestion... I expect we'll stop at most of the towns along the route / I don't plan on being a hammerhead but I also don't want to ride 10-13 mph. How long does it take for things to thin out a bit on the road? 5 miles? First breakfast stop? Thin out - haha?
  3. General thoughts on charters? Good for a virgin? I know PBV does tent set up and tear down which sounds really nice but have also heard their crowd is a bit older, turns in early, and due to their large size can be a distance from the overnight town. I expect my son and I will enjoy ourselves without indulging too much (but don't want to endure sloppy drunks into the wee hours of the night either). Have heard good things about Brancel. Any other recommendations?
  4. Feel like I'm missing something - what's did you do the second time you rode RAGBRAI that you wished you knew about on your maiden ride?

Thanks for the info!

Steve
Old 11-13-18, 09:00 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Intrigued as well. I know it was a big deal when I lived in Iowa, I wouldn't mind trying someday. I suppose it is like most other mass rides WRT the above questions, but the scale still amazes me.
Old 11-13-18, 11:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo GoGo
questions from a ragbrai virgin...
ok, so these are awesome questions and since i am the token Iowan on this forum that does the ride, I'll try my best to help!
first, see this link as it has some info- https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...s-ragbrai.html

1- lines. Yes, there are lines at RAGBRAI. How long depends on where you are and time of day. Some towns do great with the number of kybos while other towns either underestimate or skimp on em. So lines vary.
there are a couple of well known breakfast places that set up each day 5-15mi out of the overnight town and are typically always busy. Lines for them can take 10min or 40min, depending on when you arrive in the morning and what was available before their locations for breakfast.
if you use the RAGBRAI truck, drop off and pick up is easy. You walk up and hand them your stuff, then at the next town its all laid out for easy identification. People arrive at various times, so it usually isnt too busy(dont tell the truck guys that- they work hard!)
shower lines vary depending on time of day and where you shower. Each town usually has a high school where you can pay to shower. Those are less than awesome. Joe's wet shack is where my group goes every day and its nice. Clean, relatively private, etc. The charters like PBV have their own showers so the line is obviously limited to that group.

2- best time to start riding is when you are up and ready. Some leave at 530, some at 6, some at 7, some at 11.
in general, on the road between 7 and 8 is when it seems like most shoot for. When you have 15-20,000 riders, there is no 'best' time.
my group is on the road at 7am sharp every day and the roads arent congested, but are steadily busy. It isnt hectic at all. Breakfast spots are anywhere from in the overnight town to 18mi out. There are a good number of breakfast spots and it varies daily due to stop town distances. You can ride whatever speed you want regardless of the time you start each day. The stop towns are a great equalizer in that you can spend 6 or 60 minutes in each, depending on what you want to do. Some ride fast and spend a long time in each town. Some ride slow and dont stay long. As a result, you get a mix of fast and slow riders all thru the day on all points of the route.

3- so there is no right or wrong way to do RAGBRAI for the first time. Whether you go with a charter or not depends a lot on how much work you want to do outside of riding compared to the cost of the charter.
PBV has nice showers, good tents, some chill live music at times, good food, electronics charging station, laundry day, and more. That all comes with a good cost. Their location in each town is totally varied. It's sometimes not close to the music and activities, but there are always shuttles and tractors taking people around towns.
Using the RAGBRAI truck is cheaper and requires more work. Camping is still really good(I camp in one of the general campgrounds each night) and it isnt a giant party all over. Food is available near the campgrounds. Bathrooms are hit/miss for being close, but you can partially determine that by where you set up tents.
shower options are varied depending on town. Usually a shower truck or two is available in the campgrounds, but sometimes they all set up elsewhere due to water and space requirements.

4- as for what is missed the first time around, the best way to not do that is to plan ahead of time and then be flexible. Read ahead on what's in each town and where vendors and food options will be so you can get a general plan before heading out each day. This especially helps after a couple days when you know what you like and what you want to try later on.

admittedly, I don't hit the overnight towns often...really more like once a trip, actually. I work with a group of at-risk teens in a program thru RAGBRAI where we mentor and train them for 5 months to complete the ride. They end up with over 1000mi ridden before even starting on RAGBRAI. It's an awesome program, but doesn't really allow for the adult social side of RAGBRAI.
I'm not a great resource when it comes to overnight town entertainment, but that side of RAGBRAI is basically summed up with- do as much or as little as you want.

RAGBRAI isnt for everyone, but it sure is for a lot! This past year was mid70s to mid80s as high, but often it can be hot. It does have lines you want in, but that comes with a lot of conversations with those around you. Get hammered at the iowa craft beer tents or be as sober as...well me. Ride slowly and see every sight or ride fast and try to win RAGBRAI.
there are so many ways to have fun, you just need to figure out what works for you.
Old 11-13-18, 11:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

These pics were taken during this past RAGBRAI. I laughed because it was the most RAGBRAI scene I could have imagined.
on one side of the street an old man 4 piece brass band was playing while directly across the street was low level pro wrestling.

Old 11-14-18, 11:03 AM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mstateglfr - Thanks for the great info!

I'll have to talk to my son (and a friend who expressed interest) but based on your input I'm leaning towards the idea of no charter during the ride (although the cost savings will go towards tents, etc). If we indulge it will probably be transport before the ride across the state so we can depart from the final destination city. I expect I'll check out the overnight towns but the thought of over indulging (hangover, bloat and/or dehydration, potential digestive issues and exercise in high heat) does not sound attractive to me. Also, I'm currently doing a ketogenic diet (< 20g sugar/day) so beer wouldn't be an option (although distilled spirits are permitted - I'll probably break diet my last night unless the pancakes and pie twist my arm before then). Glad to hear the road thins out relatively quickly - with my son not being used to pack riding I don't know how comfortable (or aware) he'll be and I'd prefer to not have to be hyper vigilant as well.

Kudos to you on your work with the at risk kids! I swear I've seen your program (or a similar one) in a youtube video (or in the A Million Spokes documentary). Noble!

Hope to meet up and chat with you live next summer. Cheers!
Old 11-14-18, 11:55 AM
jefnvk

Jsut out of curiosity, looking at this what all does the entry fee actually get you? Just baggage transport and a camping spot and legal admission?
Old 11-14-18, 12:58 PM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Jsut out of curiosity, looking at this what all does the entry fee actually get you? Just baggage transport and a camping spot and legal admission?
What does it cost?

A week-long rider fee is $175 (plus tax); a week-long non-rider fee is $35 (plus tax). A vehicle permit is $40 (plus tax) for a personal vehicle or straight truck, and $50 (plus tax) for a Bus or RV. Instead of entering for the week, participants may enter for daily wristbands for $30 (plus tax) per day.

What is included in the entry fees?

The cost includes wristbands, route marking signage, baggage transportation from overnight to overnight community, camping accommodations, discounts, SAG wagon services along the route, four CARE Ambulances, a mobile Emergency Room and paramedic teams on the route each day, traffic controlled by Iowa State Patrol officers, 10 bicycle repair shops dispersed along the route, souvenir patch, official daily route maps, bike shipping stations at the beginning and end of the ride, and free shipping of Lost and Found items turned in during and after the ride.
Old 11-14-18, 01:05 PM
jefnvk

Oops, somehow skipped right over that on the site! I was wondering why it was so much cheaper than the DALMAC in Michigan
Old 11-14-18, 01:23 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I did RAGBRAI in 2016. I had never done a multi-day group ride before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I opted to go with Bubba's Pampered Pedalers so that I didn't have to worry about any logistical issues. I wanted to be able to enjoy the ride, the sights and the people without any worries. It proved to be the perfect plan. Bubbas does not provide showers, but does set up in places that are convenient to showers. The shower situation was just okay, but everything else was ideal.

I didn't get up at the crack of dawn, but I was normally out just a little ahead of the crowd. For as many people as attend the event though, it didn't feel crowded most of the time. You can always find a pocket of peacefulness if that's what you want. I never rode an entire day at a fast pace, though parts of each day I would turn up the wick. I spent most of my time pulling up beside people, saying hello and having great conversation if I got the sense they were receptive to chatting.

Because of that RAGBRAI was as much a series of stories about interesting people as it was about the ride. I am not much of a night owl, so I can't really comment about that. Each pass through town threw as good a party as they could for you. I tried to spend some money in each one. I may have gained weight for all the food I ate. Overall it was a life defining event for me. I am so glad I did it, and I will likely do it again one day.

I will try to post some pics later.
Old 11-14-18, 01:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
The cost includes wristbands, route marking signage, baggage transportation from overnight to overnight community, camping accommodations, discounts, SAG wagon services along the route, four CARE Ambulances, a mobile Emergency Room and paramedic teams on the route each day, traffic controlled by Iowa State Patrol officers, 10 bicycle repair shops dispersed along the route, souvenir patch, official daily route maps, bike shipping stations at the beginning and end of the ride, and free shipping of Lost and Found items turned in during and after the ride.
What? No partridge in a pear tree?

Seriously....There is actually something to be said for not including (and charging for) meals. Back in 2006 or so I did two supported tours back to back. The first one included breakfast and dinner. The second did not include any meals. Instead, local community groups prepared and sold breakfast and dinners, or you ate in town if there was a place. There were also snacks available for purchase at rest stops (but always free water and sports drink.) You could also stop in towns to buy your own lunch, etc. I actually found the second approach to be a nit more enjoyable. We got to sample authentic, local fare (this was in North Dakota), and you weren't forced to pay for something you might not. The first rest stop on the first day was at a relatively small church. The "church ladies" were in the basement selling fruit, home baked goods and real lemonade while services were being held upstairs. Pretty intimate experience. I also remember a rest stop at a school. Proceeds from the sale of snacks and drinks went to fund some school activity. The breakfasts and dinners were all hearty and authentic. At the finish on the last day there was a free BBQ with buffalo brats.

On the tour where food was provided (and charged for), we had several lame meals at elementary and high school cafeterias.
Old 11-14-18, 01:28 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
First, I've never done RAGBRAI, but I've tried twice (both times didn't win the lottery). But I think it is a great "bucket list" ride. I've had two friends ride it and both were glad they did but said they'd never do it again - too crowded and hectic (and hot - see below). So I think you need to come in with the attitude that the crowds and the festivities are something to be regale in, not something to be worked around. I'm beyond an age where I feel comfortable doing such a demanding group ride (doing the Katy in a small group with 50-mile days is more my speed), mostly because of.....

HEAT. You've gotten some great comments, but I want to amplify how July in Iowa can be absolutely brutal from both a temp and humidity standpoint. My friends both did years with S routes which were extremely hilly too - up one hill and down the next, all day long. So again, you need to be a rider who doesn't mind very warm riding and lots of hills. With climate change, the possibility of truly extreme/dangerous) temps (100+) is going up too.

- Mark
Old 11-14-18, 01:34 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I might try to do ragbrai this year, so I have a question on the lottery system. If you don't get picked but really want to go, how hard is it to find a ticket in? Are there people selling their tickets?
Old 11-14-18, 02:20 PM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops, somehow skipped right over that on the site! I was wondering why it was so much cheaper than the DALMAC in Michigan
Many of the services overlap such as bag transport, SAG, and camping access with RAGBRAI or include services that you'll need to pay for anyway (showers). The advantage seems to be shorter lines (as charter is only dealing with small subset of riders) and additional value add services (charging areas, food, drink, etc).
Old 11-14-18, 02:43 PM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
HEAT. You've gotten some great comments, but I want to amplify how July in Iowa can be absolutely brutal from both a temp and humidity standpoint.
I was planning/expecting this but figure by July I'll be adapted to the heat... I live near Rochester NY and did a 3 day ride to see my son at college in Pittsburgh over Labor Day weekend (118, 128, & 64 miles). Headwinds were far and away my biggest nemesis but everyone mentioned the heat (mid 90s) and high humidity. I didn't notice it personally except for when stopped at street lights. Having said that, I did encounter some digestive tract issues mid way through day 2 as I went thru 12 20oz bottles over the course of the day and ate a salad mid day that had too much ruffage in it for my system. Thankfully it only resulted in 45 minutes of bloat...

Last edited by Mojo GoGo; 11-14-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 03:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
First, I've never done RAGBRAI, but I've tried twice (both times didn't win the lottery). But I think it is a great "bucket list" ride. I've had two friends ride it and both were glad they did but said they'd never do it again - too crowded and hectic (and hot - see below). So I think you need to come in with the attitude that the crowds and the festivities are something to be regale in, not something to be worked around. I'm beyond an age where I feel comfortable doing such a demanding group ride (doing the Katy in a small group with 50-mile days is more my speed), mostly because of.....

HEAT. You've gotten some great comments, but I want to amplify how July in Iowa can be absolutely brutal from both a temp and humidity standpoint. My friends both did years with S routes which were extremely hilly too - up one hill and down the next, all day long. So again, you need to be a rider who doesn't mind very warm riding and lots of hills. With climate change, the possibility of truly extreme/dangerous) temps (100+) is going up too.

- Mark
You bring up two reasons why I will never do it.

1. The crowd. I don't like that many people, and a "festive atmosphere" with lots of people is no longer what I want in a ride. I have done 4 editions of Cycle Oregon, with the last one being in 2012. When it sells out (which it normally does), you are talking a bit over 2,000 plus volunteers, etc. It would have to be an epic route to get me back there.

2. The potential for extreme heat. I toured across the country in 1999. Spent at least 4 days riding in IA and one rest day in Davenport before heading into to IL. That was in July. IIRC, late July. Daily highs were in the upper 90s to a hair over 100. It was very to extremely humid, and corn provides no shade. And it was definitely not flat where I was riding.

But I will pass long one piece of advice someone who did it told me: If you are riding amongst the masses and have to make a pit stop in a cornfield, use one on the left side of the road. The guy who suggested this said he made the mistake of using one on the right. Because he was in the thick of things It took him several minutes for a large enough gap to open so he could get back on the road and start riding again.
Old 11-14-18, 03:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

- Mark
To clarify or perhaps counter a bit...
- Not being selected in the lottery doesnt mean a cyclist cant ride for the week. There are other ways to get week bands after the lottery- exchange being just one such option.
- Yes July is hot in Iowa...its July- its one of the hottest months of the year pretty much everywhere in the country. While it is a hot month, the average high in Central IA is 86 in July with 67 being the average low. With that said, temps in the northern section are statistically significantly cooler than in the southern section. Its all a matter of where the route is in a given year and what that year's weather decides to do. Water is all over the route- free water constantly along with gatorade, pickles, etc. Staying hydrated is not something that should even be a second thought, given the abundance of water. Get some sunscreen and some sun sleeves and ride. Its July- many would be out riding anyways even if they werent doing RAGBRAI.
- Hills do exist in this state, contrary to popular opinion. But they are just that- hills. No extended climbs. A typical day is between 50 and 75 miles and has 1000-3500' of climb. And usually, the ride is split with a few flatter days combined with a few hillier days. The last 3 years have had daily averages of 60mi, 58mi, and 61mi. Daily climb for those years was 2641', 1868', and 1796'.

- 100 degree days are more possible, sure, but they are so rare that its just nothing to bother planning for. Rare as in it happens every few years, if that.

Totally understand the lack of wanting to be in a crowd when riding. Ive done some of the Katy before and am going to do a few days of riding it this coming spring with my daughter, actually. Its a fun trip- especailly W to E going slightly downhill overall!
Old 11-14-18, 03:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I might try to do ragbrai this year, so I have a question on the lottery system. If you don't get picked but really want to go, how hard is it to find a ticket in? Are there people selling their tickets?
Its relatively easy to get a band- craigslist has em, the ragbrai forum has em, etc. Or just buy daily ride bands at each overnight town. Same benefits in the end.
Old 11-14-18, 04:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

mstateglfr - Thanks for the great info!

I'll have to talk to my son (and a friend who expressed interest) but based on your input I'm leaning towards the idea of no charter during the ride (although the cost savings will go towards tents, etc). If we indulge it will probably be transport before the ride across the state so we can depart from the final destination city. I expect I'll check out the overnight towns but the thought of over indulging (hangover, bloat and/or dehydration, potential digestive issues and exercise in high heat) does not sound attractive to me. Also, I'm currently doing a ketogenic diet (< 20g sugar/day) so beer wouldn't be an option (although distilled spirits are permitted - I'll probably break diet my last night unless the pancakes and pie twist my arm before then). Glad to hear the road thins out relatively quickly - with my son not being used to pack riding I don't know how comfortable (or aware) he'll be and I'd prefer to not have to be hyper vigilant as well.

Kudos to you on your work with the at risk kids! I swear I've seen your program (or a similar one) in a youtube video (or in the A Million Spokes documentary). Noble!

Hope to meet up and chat with you live next summer. Cheers!
There are healthy food options on the route, though they are few and far between given the amount of pie, bbq, and burgers. Even better reason to look where certain food vendors will be each day.
As for your son and crowds- there are thousands of day riders each day. People who live close and dont ride much(or ever), and join up. Slower riding stays right and it works quite well. Communication and a steady line are key.
Old 11-14-18, 06:30 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
TWhile it is a hot month, the average high in Central IA is 86 in July with 67 being the average low. ...100 degree days are more possible, sure, but they are so rare that its just nothing to bother planning for. Rare as in it happens every few years, if that.!
The problem with averages is that they don't account for the outliers that are likely in a week-long ride. I recently did a week-long ride across WA state Aug where the average daily high temps for most of the route are mid-80's, Two days were in the 80's but four days were 95-102. With tons of hydration, I managed but it was brutal and I dreaded riding after lunch on the hot days. . And this was with much lower humidity than you can expect in Iowa. So the chances of a couple 90+ days are almost certain. All I'm saying is that to enjoy the RAGBRAI you need to be Okay with riding in VERY hot weather and high humidity. And the odds of super-hot weather increase each year.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 11-14-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-15-18, 08:58 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its relatively easy to get a band- craigslist has em, the ragbrai forum has em, etc. Or just buy daily ride bands at each overnight town. Same benefits in the end.
How much do they go for above the regular price?

The lottery is seemingly one big drawback for me doing this anytime soon, I don't really want to wait to wait til May to know if I got accepted for a July vacation that the wife would have already had to apply for her time off for. It'd be a bit easier to plan for knowing that the resale options aren't going for double the price.
Old 11-15-18, 12:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

The lottery is seemingly one big drawback for me doing this anytime soon, I don't really want to wait to wait til May to know if I got accepted for a July vacation that the wife would have already had to apply for her time off for. It'd be a bit easier to plan for knowing that the resale options aren't going for double the price.
admittedly I don't look often, but did see last year a handful of sale threads on the RAGBRAI board where they were offered up at cost.
could be that I just happened upon a string of them, or it could be the common thing- sell at cost.
Old 11-16-18, 01:48 PM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I paid $125 on the week of for an extra weeklong band for my brother who decided last minute to join us this year. Lots of options to buy from and I don’t recall seeing a single person asking for more than the face value.
Old 11-16-18, 03:38 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts

Looks like there's hope to buy one second hand at cost. Good to know because like you I need to know awhile before hand to notify my employer. I suppose if I didn't get it I could just sulk back to work
Old 11-16-18, 04:41 PM
OLB

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Cannondale R500, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1991 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheRef

I paid $125 on the week of for an extra weeklong band for my brother who decided last minute to join us this year. Lots of options to buy from and I don’t recall seeing a single person asking for more than the face value.
I also paid $125 one week before. I bought it from my friend who couldn't make it last minute. I was planning to buy one the day before the start at the festival. A couple of other friends have done that in the past with no problems, there seem to be several people each year selling theirs at the last minute. Those friends never paid more than face value either.
Old 11-17-18, 12:30 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

2. The potential for extreme heat. I toured across the country in 1999. Spent at least 4 days riding in IA and one rest day in Davenport before heading into to IL. That was in July. IIRC, late July. Daily highs were in the upper 90s to a hair over 100. It was very to extremely humid, and corn provides no shade. And it was definitely not flat where I was riding.
Having been born and raised in Iowa, you just keyed in on two things people don't get about Iowa, it gets really hot and humid, and it isn't all flat. Living and riding in the Pittsburgh, PA area, yes I realize there are more hills here, but Iowa is not flat as a pancake either, and the people who route RAGBRAI find the hills. The heat is what so many people don't get. I ran a track meet one day when it was 108F and humid as hell. We used to train with flannel lined nylon track suits so we were ready for the heat.