Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody like Daylight Savings Time?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody like Daylight Savings Time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 07:34 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Daylight Saving Time is great! Standard Time - not so much. And the changeover is a PITA!
Old 11-12-18, 09:02 PM
gldrgidr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason that we go back to standard time is that in some states if we stay on DST, children would be forced to walk to school in the dark. It is about the safety of children.
Old 11-13-18, 03:14 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I don't hate Daylight Saving time or standard time. I just hate the transition. It gets harder every year.
Old 11-13-18, 04:52 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
Daylight Saving Time is great! Standard Time - not so much. And the changeover is a PITA!
Originally Posted by beicster
I don't hate Daylight Saving time or standard time. I just hate the transition. It gets harder every year.
Do you guys really find this so different from travelling across time zones?
Old 11-13-18, 06:37 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I am pretty lucky in that the vast majority of my travel is in the eastern time zone so I don't often cross time zones. But, I am used to being tired when I travel because I don't sleep well in hotel rooms. It takes me a few days to sleep well.
Old 11-13-18, 06:51 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
As I almost never travel outside the Central time zone (occasional drive to Michigan which doesn't really count), yeah it bothers me. I have enough trouble sleeping without these two disruptions to my system. Another thing which bothers me as a cyclist is the small negative effect it has on the driving population. Here's one page which discusses some of the potential side effects of the time change:

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst...ng-health.html

I can clearly mitigate some of the effect on me as a cyclist by avoiding the bike for a few days after the changes. Not everybody has that luxury. They still need to go to work, and most people have just one (perceived) option: the car. It's more of a problem in the aggregate. It might not mean a huge increase in risk to any one individual, but the changes in the population as a whole appear to be measurable. It's not clear to me the change is worth it.
Old 11-13-18, 07:19 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Do I like daylight savings time? NO! I wish they would abolish it.
Old 11-13-18, 07:32 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by gldrgidr
The reason that we go back to standard time is that in some states if we stay on DST, children would be forced to walk to school in the dark. It is about the safety of children.
That might fly in New Jersey. Try sunrise time in say, Bergland, MI.
Old 11-13-18, 08:26 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
In California voters just approved a ballot proposition that would enable the state to go on year-round PDT (Pacific Daylight TIme), subject to federal approval. I prefer the current system, under which the PST-PDT time change partly compensates for the seasonal change in the time of sunrise. I would also be OK w/ year-round PST.

Many parents and educators claim that schools should start after 0830, to make sure kiddies get enough sleep. (When I was growing up, there was no question that it was lights-out at 9 pm (middle school) or 10 pm (high school).) With year-round PST, I suppose they will now say school should start at 0930 ... .
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-14-18, 02:00 PM
Heatherbikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nope

It now gets dark before 4:30pm and will further descend. I mostly grew up in Saskatchewan where they do not change the clocks so it is always a gradual change as it should be. I never suffered from SAD before I moved to Vancouver. The jump is always physically, mentally and emotionally difficult. One day its like I have x amount of time before sunset and suddenly within a day it's an hour earlier. I am so happy when the clocks change in the spring and I suddenly have light after work. I know people who will not ride after dark and I do not like it anymore after a bad crash this spring. I just started riding again and I have found it more scary after dark. For me I'd rather have light later in the day and have some time after work and stuff do be outside a little bit. I'm not a morning person and am not currently having to go out so early in the morning that it is still dark. The European Union is moving to end the stupid practice. Here in British Columbia we had a petition, Alberta had a petition but the governments grumbled about not being in sync with other places, countries etc. BC is particularly tied to LA with the film industry but you just have to remember the difference like I did growing up.
Old 11-14-18, 02:04 PM
Heatherbikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh there is a sleep disruption and I always notice the car issue. The sudden change means drivers are just as unprepared for driving in the dar at that busy rush hour time. Other cyclists stop riding at all.
Old 11-14-18, 02:25 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
No, and I find that to be a PITA too! It takes me days to adjust when I fly to Europe or Japan. It shortens the holiday.
Old 11-14-18, 02:28 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Yeah, a little off topic for C and V, but its gonna be dark here before 5 pm, so grumbling abounds in my house today.
It feels like having to switch from 27" to 700c twice a year: yeah, I can do it, takes a little adjustment, but seems like a lot of work for little return.
Can't we just stop?
Opinions from residents in certain countries in Indiana that have their own time zones are especially welcomed.
Yes, I like it.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-14-18, 03:34 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Heatherbikes
It now gets dark before 4:30pm and will further descend. I mostly grew up in Saskatchewan where they do not change the clocks so it is always a gradual change as it should be. I never suffered from SAD before I moved to Vancouver. The jump is always physically, mentally and emotionally difficult. One day its like I have x amount of time before sunset and suddenly within a day it's an hour earlier. I am so happy when the clocks change in the spring and I suddenly have light after work. I know people who will not ride after dark and I do not like it anymore after a bad crash this spring. I just started riding again and I have found it more scary after dark. For me I'd rather have light later in the day and have some time after work and stuff do be outside a little bit. I'm not a morning person and am not currently having to go out so early in the morning that it is still dark. The European Union is moving to end the stupid practice. Here in British Columbia we had a petition, Alberta had a petition but the governments grumbled about not being in sync with other places, countries etc. BC is particularly tied to LA with the film industry but you just have to remember the difference like I did growing up.
You realize that if they discontinue daylight savings time, it will get dark earlier all year, right?
Old 11-14-18, 04:55 PM
smontanaro 

One other comment from this peanut in the gallery. My brain has still not adjusted. I set my alarm for 5:20. It's routine for me to wake before my alarm goes off. Since the changeover, I keep waking up around 4am. I would like to sleep a bit more, but that seems not to be happening.
Old 11-15-18, 08:42 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
I work rotating shifts, so a one hour adjustment twice a year is pretty insignificant, unless I am working the night shift in the fall when the clocks are set back. No matter what the clock says, the days are shorter in the winter, and it's too damn cold anyway.

When I was in the Navy, crossing the Pacific, we would sometimes go through 2 or 3 times zones in a day. The ship didn't reset the clocks based a line on the map, they spread the burden across the day. Basically they took the difference in time zones between where we started and where we were going and split them up across the number of transit days.
Old 12-04-20, 05:38 PM
obentwan
Space for rent

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-5, Trek 8.2 Dual Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg

.. but then, I'm retired.
Me too.
Old 12-04-20, 06:20 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by smontanaro
One other comment from this peanut in the gallery. My brain has still not adjusted. I set my alarm for 5:20. It's routine for me to wake before my alarm goes off. Since the changeover, I keep waking up around 4am. I would like to sleep a bit more, but that seems not to be happening.
Fortunately, I am also now retired. For many things in my life these days the clock is kind of meaningless.
Old 12-04-20, 06:31 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Yes, I like it.
Moi aussi. This is much ado about nothing.
Old 12-04-20, 06:40 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Old 12-04-20, 06:52 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Time is meaningless in BF space, particularly when it comes to resurrecting old threads.
Old 12-04-20, 06:59 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.