Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Direction for restoration of Frejus

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-18-18, 09:49 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
An alternative to the OA bath is to wrap the frame with shop towels soaked in Evapo Rust, then wrap the sopping towels with plastic wrap (I used mover's wrap for the task) and let it sit overnight, then remove it all and gently rinse and wipe dry.

It kills the rust, though admittedly does nothing about the interior of the tubes the way a full soak would. Evapo Rust is at least non-toxic, so much so that it's used to clean cast iron cookware, and can be re-used several times. It does not appear to create problems when used on multi-metallic objects, and my only caveat is that it may react to gold-foiled stuff on mylar decals - but the Frejus isn't French, so you're probably fine there, too.

Or you could go get some ER at Tractor Supply on sale, maybe two gallons for around $17 a gallon on sale, and use assorted objects under a tarp in a kiddie pool or a large box to create a space that conforms to the frame and soak it. Then after rinsing and drying, either 3alarmer's suggested Turtle Wax or my old favorite Meguiar's polish, gently, to clean things up.
Old 09-18-18, 10:03 AM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
One issue I had with evaporust

I have used evaporust many times with great success with one exception. On my 70s Lygie which had a white pearlish paint— it turned the paint green. Just a very thin layer. The only thing I can surmise is that they paint had some type of metallic flake in it that reacted to the evaporust . I had to polish out the frame to get rid of the green cast and re-coated with a white pearl top coat. Much more work than I planned on.

If if you use evaporust—and I still highly recommend it—I would definitely soak it to get full benefit

i soaked mine mine in a wallpaper trough from Home Depot and did one side at a time. Of corse did have to manually do the seat post.
Old 09-19-18, 11:25 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I got some of that Turtle wax/rubbing compound as advised by @3alarmer. Did a quick rub of a small area; wow, what a difference. I am going to try some more areas tomorrow when I have more time.
Old 09-19-18, 11:31 PM
vintagerando

@BlueDevil63 Your Frejus is impressive. My has the same colors, though yours looks more black rather than the deep chocolate color of mine.
Old 09-19-18, 11:33 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
An alternative to the OA bath is to wrap the frame with shop towels soaked in Evapo Rust, then wrap the sopping towels with plastic wrap (I used mover's wrap for the task) and let it sit overnight, then remove it all and gently rinse and wipe dry.

It kills the rust, though admittedly does nothing about the interior of the tubes the way a full soak would. Evapo Rust is at least non-toxic, so much so that it's used to clean cast iron cookware, and can be re-used several times. It does not appear to create problems when used on multi-metallic objects, and my only caveat is that it may react to gold-foiled stuff on mylar decals - but the Frejus isn't French, so you're probably fine there, too.

Or you could go get some ER at Tractor Supply on sale, maybe two gallons for around $17 a gallon on sale, and use assorted objects under a tarp in a kiddie pool or a large box to create a space that conforms to the frame and soak it. Then after rinsing and drying, either 3alarmer's suggested Turtle Wax or my old favorite Meguiar's polish, gently, to clean things up.
I like this method; more controlled, less messy. Do you have an after photo?
Old 09-20-18, 05:57 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
@BlueDevil63 Your Frejus is impressive. My has the same colors, though yours looks more black rather than the deep chocolate color of mine.
I think yours was black to start with. Deep chocolate was not a color offered, I don't think. The paint has just oxidized.
Very cool old bike, despite the neglect, a worthy project.
Old 09-20-18, 06:07 AM
rootboy 

Here's another one. With "mud guards". Or fenders as they're generally known here. ;>
Old 09-20-18, 06:18 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

I like this method; more controlled, less messy. Do you have an after photo?
If you go here, you'll see before and after photos of the fork from a '72 Liberia that had spent a certain amount of time outdoors, not too terribly far from Myrtle Beach in subtropical South Carolina. The difference is most profound on the back of the right fork blade. On a bike with dark paint like your black Frejus, I think this method followed by a gentle but thorough polish would yield dramatic results.
Old 09-20-18, 02:49 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by rootboy
Here's another one. With "mud guards". Or fenders as they're generally known here. ;>
Very nice. That was what I saw when I bought mine; than I got home, the excitement of the purchase cooled. And, I said, oh boy, I got a mess.
Ahh, but are your fenders stamped "Frejus"? I got the real deal.
Old 09-21-18, 10:53 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
WoW!
Just, WOW!
Save the paint and decals!

Do as little as possible. Stabilize the condition to prevent additional corrosion. You can always do more later on.

For example - The rusty cable guide could come off but I say leave it in place for now. Get rid of rust (Evap-O-Rust), add oil to slow re-corrosion. Removing bolt and spreading clamp could crack it.

Polishing compound is an abrasive in paste form. It is quite seductive but dangerous to paint. Be EXTREMELY gentle with that or don't use it. How about a cleaning and waxing, instead.
Old 09-21-18, 10:58 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
UGH! Look at the lock ring on the bottom bracket. Someone used a screwdriver and hammer trying to remove it. Rusted in place, all they did was cut a groove into the ring.

The ring has to be removed for maintenance but get a proper tool kit.
Old 09-21-18, 11:16 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts

Counter-clockwise to remove, then clockwise to install. Fixed BB cup, Italian threads (and everything else except left pedal threads. Right hand threads. (Careful with the threads on the BB shell. Italian is the largest diameter BB so there is no re-tapping to a larger standard. (See https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bottombrackets.html)

Ben
Old 09-21-18, 11:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
@rootboy, it's nice to see you back. How are you?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-18, 02:20 PM
vintagerando

@rootboy Is this pic from down the Cape?
Old 09-21-18, 06:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
It sounds like your approach is similar to @Wildwood post. So, how would I "polish" the paint, and clean the flaking paint without going the route of a complete immersion of the frame? Use a car wax? Use a brush with nylon and hit the worst spots? Then rub in a product by hand? Not sure I understand this approach. It sounds less extreme than a total bath, just not sure how to do it.
I just realized I failed to respond or clarify. Any one of the "Scratch X/Scratch Out" type products would work to polish the paint.

The oxalic acid bath isn't that bad really. It's mostly water, very little oxalic. Then there's the alternate idea of a molasses bath (Google "rust removal molasses") - mostly water and a bit of feed-grade molasses mixed in.

-Kurt

Old 09-26-18, 10:59 AM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by rustystrings61

Hi. @rustystrings61
Do you wipe with water or alchol? It seems like a bad ideas to re-introduce water to exposed steel? I have my Frejus wrapped in Evapo Rust now. Planning on taking the wrap off tonight/
Old 09-26-18, 11:23 AM
rustystrings61 

I actually rinsed with water and wiped dry. With small parts I was literally dunking stuff into a bucket of water, swishing the part around and shaking the water off as I removed it, then wiping off as much water as possible. For the frame and fork I used a hose at low pressure, but I bet a wet sponge or cloth would work as well, followed by drying it off. I guess you could use alcohol and take advantage of its rapid evaporation, though.
Old 09-26-18, 11:50 AM
rootboy 

@rootboy Is this pic from down the Cape?
Well, that's from my back yard, leaning up against my outdoor shower.
What a concept! Outdoor showers. Never seen that before I moved here.
Old 09-26-18, 11:51 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by noglider
@rootboy, it's nice to see you back. How are you?
Hi Tom,
I'm OK, thanks. But rarely check in here anymore.
How are you?
Old 09-26-18, 11:55 AM
rootboy 

Very nice. That was what I saw when I bought mine; than I got home, the excitement of the purchase cooled. And, I said, oh boy, I got a mess.
Ahh, but are your fenders stamped "Frejus"? I got the real deal.
Yes,

Mine are stamped just like that. But yours have a bit more red paint in the "Frejus" than mine did. BTW, watch those little elongated acorn shaped cap nuts on those stays.
I had one rattle loose and fall off on a ride. Of course, impossible to find another. I had to make one and boy, that wasn't exactly easy. Just FYI. I used thread locker on them after that.
Old 09-26-18, 12:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Hi Tom,
I'm OK, thanks. But rarely check in here anymore.
How are you?
Life is good, better now than in many years. Steadier work, better pay, more miles on the bike.

I haven't taken an outdoor shower in a while, but they are a pleasure. We had them on Fire Island when I was growing up. A friend of ours has one in the Catskills.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-10-18, 08:37 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

No mention as yet made of stem/bar set. Would expect 3TTT Gran Prix.

Did you get the Gaslos? Costly to purchase now.

-----
Do you think a 3TTT Record could pass as period correct? There is one for sale in CV Sales.
Also what are Gaslos?
Old 11-13-18, 05:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Do you think a 3TTT Record could pass as period correct? There is one for sale in CV Sales.
Also what are Gaslos?
-----

3TTT Record did not launch until 1971 so could not have been OEM.

Gaslo is an Italian brand of handlebar raiment.

Company produced handlebar end caps and cloth handlebar wrapping tape.

The correct Gaslo end caps for the cycle were of stamped aluminum sheet and had the Frejus name.

This set is slightly too early for your example but gives an idea as to appearance (and cost ).

https://www.ebay.it/itm/FREJUS-GASLO...vZR:rk:11:pf:0

When not private labelled Gaslos look like this.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Ciclismo-Vin...3KuY:rk:8:pf:0

-----
Old 11-13-18, 10:38 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

3TTT Record did not launch until 1971 so could not have been OEM.

Gaslo is an Italian brand of handlebar raiment.

Company produced handlebar end caps and cloth handlebar wrapping tape.

The correct Gaslo end caps for the cycle were of stamped aluminum sheet and had the Frejus name.

This set is slightly too early for your example but gives an idea as to appearance (and cost ).

https://www.ebay.it/itm/FREJUS-GASLO...vZR:rk:11:pf:0

When not private labelled Gaslos look like this.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Ciclismo-Vin...3KuY:rk:8:pf:0

-----
Those Gaslos are nice. I would like to get my hands on a set of those. I would guess they are rare to due high incidents of damage and loss over the years.
Old 11-18-18, 10:13 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have my Frejus wrapped in Evapo Rust now. Planning on taking the wrap off tonight/
Hey, wondering how the results turned out on your Frejus, I'm getting ready to do the same on a 1953 Schwinn World, wondering if the graphics on yours survived okay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.