Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Protein Supplement?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Protein Supplement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 04:09 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Thanks for asking Tom.

Overall, I'm down from 199 lb in mid-December and am now hovering between 170 and 171 lb on most days. Continued weight loss is a challenge and I'm not sure I want to loose more at this point. I've not been as scrupulous about diet as I had been and am just maintaining right now, allowing myself a treat after Mass on Sunday, a good Italian meal, etc.

The the point of this thread, casein protein has become a regular part of my diet. Right now I'm using Optimum Nutrition Vanilla but will go back to the unflavored Body Tech product when the current container is empty. I find the ON product too sweet tasting.

It is typically mixed with 12 oz Fair Life fat free milk and consumed after a ride. Occasionally I will have the same in the evening if I have been riding lots of miles and/or am feeling hunger pangs. It seems to help reduce carb cravings the next day. Much thanks to @Spoonrobot for this suggestion.

Average speed has increased a bit, typically 0.5 to 0.8 MPH and 1.5 MPH if I push hard on a given ride. The greatest measurable benefit has been Strava climbing segments. I've PR'd many of my favorite climbs recently. In general, riding is just so much more fun. Recovery is quicker and mileage has increased markedly. The weight loss is just what I needed to push training to the next level.

The downside is expensive gear which is starting to fit poorly. It can even be felt in my shoes. Further weight loss means I'll likely need new bibs and jerseys. A few ladies at Church have noticed too. At first they were like, "Oh, you are loosing weight!" and now they are like, "You are going to disappear!"

But yeah, overall it has been a very positive experience. I'd encourage anyone carrying a few extra pounds to buckle down. Leaving 30 lb at the bottom of a hill is a great feeling.

-Tim-
Casein is more satiating, just be aware that there are many correlations to some negative side-effects cause by the BCM7 in casein. For example, the blowing some go through is just an obvious one that many people experience from this milk protein.
Originally Posted by noglider
Wow, that's fantastic.

I went from 178 to 153 by eating less junk and more protein. People said I looked too thin, but I felt fine. Now I'm back up to 170, and I'm happy about that, too, as I think some of it is in my arms and shoulders which I've been working on. I'm pretty scrawny up there. Another good thing about the regain is that I don't need to eat as frequently. Like you, I've also observed that protein does tamp down the cravings. I had to get smaller clothes, and upon regaining weight, my waist hasn't grown back much, so I think I'm doing pretty well.

I don't eat whey powder or drink milk or eat any supplements. I just eat plain old food. I've added red meat to my diet, and it seems to suit me well. My iron level is still low, so I should increase it more. And it does wonders for killing cravings for sweets. I inherited the low cholesterol gene from my father, so that's another sign that our genetics call for a meaty diet. I was meatless for years, and I think this is better.
Nothing wrong with plain food. Its just that most folks don't have the time to stop and prepare several balanced meals every day. Hence, the need and convenience of supplements. But not everybody needs them. So if its nothing's broken, it certainly doesn't need to be fixed.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-01-18 at 08:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-01-18, 05:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Casein is more satiating, just be aware that there are many correlations to some negative side-effects cause by the BCM7 in casein. For example, the blowing some go through is just an obvious one that many people experience from this milk protein.

Everything comes at a price and doing the best we can with what's available is all anyone can do.

-Tim-
Old 04-01-18, 08:23 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Everything comes at a price and doing the best we can with what's available is all anyone can do.

-Tim-
You'll get no argument from me.
Old 04-01-18, 08:54 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This is a very bad nutritional advice...Human body needs all the essential amino acids and not just BCAAs in order to be healthy and function at optimal levels... BCAAs are also a lot more expensive than whey powder and there is some debate as to whether they actually work or not. It's never a good idea to eliminate real food and substitute it with pills. My advice is to forget about BCAAs and use protein powder and get your protein from real food.
But Shona have problem with calcium supplements I don't say you should skip real foods either, that not my point.

I do supports eating real foods, you should always eat foods.

And next, BCAAs is the most important factor, EAA and non-EAA is so plentiful, its everywhere you from what eat, even veggies have it, even junk foods have it. The only missing amino acids is BCAAs as I mentioned above, you get that from eat real meat/real protein/animal stuffs, its use for build and repair muscles. To preserve muscles mass or even growth it.

BCAAs is in every Protein, you get BCAAs that occur naturally in Protein, I just go beyond Protein, go directly to the BCAAs.

Again, I do supports normal eat first.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I'm pretty sure the assumption is to add the BCAA on top of your normal protein intake. However, you are correct in that BCAA are expensive and already contained in whey protein. The idea is that if you single them out they will be more effective. I'd estimate 3-5% and not worth the extra cost.
Ah, let's talk about prices, yeah BCAAs usually (most) expensive than Whey, I don't argue that.

But you know what the funny, in my country, Whey is expensive than BCAAs, that why I say "go check store near your place see if you see a hot deal".

In other word, if its expensive, don't bother with it, guess I am not clear on this point.
Old 10-13-18, 03:06 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by EricT80
Try MRM Veggie Elite. I've others which blow my stomach up but this one is perfect imo.

Some to also consider about calcium is, from what I've gathered, is that the body, in order to process animal protein as it is acidic to the body, will pull calcium from the bones. In reality the calcium in whey, milk, cheese etc is pretty much a waste. It's also the reason why people-groups who drink more milk have more osteoporosis.
That's exactly what will happen if you're not getting enough of it. But I don't understand the question since if you have problem processing it you' would need more, not less. Calcium is also a necessary nutrient so you would have to be getting it from somewhere.