Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone own a Litespeed Ultimate?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone own a Litespeed Ultimate?

Old 09-21-06, 06:40 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think an integrated head tube is much to worry about in the case of titanium. I would be concerned for the reasons stated on the Chris King website if purchasing an aluminum or carbon frame. For what it's worth, I think integrated looks a little better.
Old 09-21-06, 09:02 AM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by triggersd
I'll chime in...

I've got an 03 Siena, size ML (56cm). This frame is made of 3/2 TI not the 6/4 that the Ultimate is made of. The Siena also has the carbon seat stays. I have not had any problems with flex and the bike doesn't produce any pain on rides over 100mi. It's super comfy. Take it for what it's worth. . . The damn thing is a rocket ship and it rules. No problems with the integrated headset thus far. Good luck with selecting your new rig.
The Siena no longer has carbon seat stays, I'm looking into this frame.
My only concern with litespeeds is that in my club I've seen three of them fail at the bottom bracket (All Ghisallos), but they were replaced immediately.

To me, the Vortex compact is the ultimate, but overpriced. But the Siena is fairly priced.

Old 09-21-06, 09:14 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
For what it's worth, I think integrated looks a little better.

Last edited by Drag; 09-21-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 09:39 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by whitemax
I don't think an integrated head tube is much to worry about in the case of titanium. I would be concerned for the reasons stated on the Chris King website if purchasing an aluminum or carbon frame. For what it's worth, I think integrated looks a little better.
mind you, this is a site selling headsets.
I'd like to know how you can ovalize a CF head.
This seems unlikely for Ti, and even for most ally.

Old 09-21-06, 10:10 AM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 02 Tuscany. Wonderful do it all frame. Scratches in satin brushed Litespeed tubes are erased in seconds with green brillo pad and VERY light pressure. A nice bonus from touch up paint.
Old 09-21-06, 10:46 AM
DocRay

I have no idea why people paint Ti, or Reynolds stainless.

Old 09-21-06, 11:35 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PhatRoadie
Its not just Litespeed.

Damage to the head tube supposedly happens over time. So the issue wouldn't come up till considerable wear develops. By which point it would count as "normal wear and tear" in most warranty agreements. The Chris King site has several pages on the "evils" of integrated headsets. The issue is probably overstated.
Not true.

I have an '04 Siena which had the integrated headset. I use past tense because earlier this summer I was fixing to leave for a ride and noticed a creak from the head tube... further investigation revealed that the headset bearing cups (pressed into the frame at litespeed) had started to come loose. I took it back to my LBS, who sent it in to Litespeed under warranty. They insisted they could just replace the cups, which I wasn't too confident of but they did it anyhow. When I got it back, not only were the cups not pressed in straight, but the top one was out of round and it was also pressed in on a burr (read: 30kms till failure had I bothered to even re-assemble it) I took it back again and insisted that they put a traditional head tube on it. They agreed to either do that free of charge, or provide an '06 Siena frame for "pro replacement" cost ($800 CAD) if I didn't want to wait. I took the new head tube offer and a month later I had my baby back. I've only put a few hundred kms on it since it's return but it's good as new now. (and a King headset is about 500X better than the crappy cane creek integrated headset that came with the frame originally)
Old 09-21-06, 10:37 PM
PhatRoadie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Not true.

I have an '04 Siena which had the integrated headset. I use past tense because earlier this summer I was fixing to leave for a ride and noticed a creak from the head tube... further investigation revealed that the headset bearing cups (pressed into the frame at litespeed) had started to come loose. I took it back to my LBS, who sent it in to Litespeed under warranty. They insisted they could just replace the cups, which I wasn't too confident of but they did it anyhow. When I got it back, not only were the cups not pressed in straight, but the top one was out of round and it was also pressed in on a burr (read: 30kms till failure had I bothered to even re-assemble it) I took it back again and insisted that they put a traditional head tube on it. They agreed to either do that free of charge, or provide an '06 Siena frame for "pro replacement" cost ($800 CAD) if I didn't want to wait. I took the new head tube offer and a month later I had my baby back. I've only put a few hundred kms on it since it's return but it's good as new now. (and a King headset is about 500X better than the crappy cane creek integrated headset that came with the frame originally)
Wow. I've had my ultimate for a bit over a year now and so far no problems. Still its good to know that if headset problems do come up there is something that I can do about it.
Old 11-09-18, 04:48 PM
lewiswesley66

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikepacking?

I'm currently looking at a used litespeed ultimate, while considering good frames for a light bikepacking build (no more than 15lbs weighted, frame bag, seatpost bag, and a little camelback backpack). These bikes seem to function beautifully as is, but do you guys think the geometry could suit some light weight? Chainstays look a lot shorter than the newer Ultimate Gravel and other models.

cheers!
Old 11-09-18, 06:19 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Wow, 12 years and 2 months - IT LIVES AGAIN!

Are you asking if the bike geo is suitable for a little additional weight from your bike packing gear? I would say... I reckon so! Get a nice bag that's secured well to the frame and you should be good to go.